Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

2002 Explorer 4.6L misfire cylinder 4 (solved)

This is my last update. I sold the explorer. i had probably 3k miles on it since I did the coil swap. It was still running great at that time. Sorry I can't give a review of the "cheap" coils with more miles on them. Glad I didn't take it to the dealer since I ended up selling it. I know...
  2. S

Front Wipers on 2002 4.6L Explorer stopped working

I punted. I'm big, and a little clumsy, so I was concerned about tackling it. I didn't trust myself to get back there and not screw it up further. So I took it to a mechanic. He took care of it. It wasn't too expensive since I had already did all the troubleshooting. Wipers now work. Thanks...
  3. S

No, it doesn't look like that to me. I guess the picture doesn't show it that well. It appears to me that there isn't enough support for the wiring harness, and it is really kinked in there. So there is a lot of downward force on the wires and a lot of lateral force on the wires at the point...
  4. S

Bad COP?

From my experience, there isn't a good way to test the coils. When I had a misfire, I tried moving coils around, but it didn't help (the misfire didn't move with the coil). See this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2002-explorer-4-6l-misfire-cylinder-4.455298/...
  5. S

Uhm ... found the problem. This is the wiring harness coming through the firewall to the power distribution box. There are at least 2 broken wires (Red and Brown). I think the red is the +12V when key is on. Any recommendations as to how to repair this? I can't even get my hands back there.
  6. S

07gtman, ok ... i googled that, and i get lots of hits, but none that i have looked at so far are actually 2002 explorer wiper wiring diagrams. Can you be more specific?
  7. S

hlg99, thanks for the suggestion. that is a possibility but I don't think that is it. 07gtman, we are talking about the same fuse location. That location is empty on my explorer. You are referencing the 6th manual printing of the 2002 explorer. Mine is the 4th printing. I bought it new in...
  8. S

A little bit more information ... I did some experimenting, and I think I have convinced myself it is not the switch. As I stated before, I did not measure +12V on any of the pins in the harness that connects to the motor. But I did notice a tiny voltage on some pins. I went down to the mV...
  9. S

the owner's manual indicates #21 in the power distribution box is not used. The location does not have a fuse in it. Since the wipers worked before, and no fuse has been removed, I don't think that location is used for the wipers. Did you mean a different location than #21?
  10. S

Sorry I haven't given an update. I tried all these suggestions. I even made another attempt and moving all the coils around to different cylinders. Nothing worked, still misfiring on cylinder #4. On my last attempt to fix it, I reset the computer and started it up. It was still misfiring, so...
  11. S

My front windshield wipers stopped working on my 2002 4.6L eddie bauer explorer. The washer sprays. I checked the fuse (#8) and it is good. I tested the run/park and high/low relays by putting them in the fog lamp relay position and verifying the fog lamps still worked. I checked the 5-pin...
  12. S

yes, i checked and the COP connector is on all the way and the plastic tab is not broken. i have no idea how the PCM program could get screwed up. My mechanic suggested getting the PCM reprogrammed or replaced. Screwed up programming sounds like an extremely rare (if not impossible) failure...
  13. S

no, the plug wasn't loose. i replaced them about 40k ago and torqued them myself. it was still snug.
  14. S

hey, thanks for the suggestions. sorry it took so long to post back ... real life intercedes some times. i checked and didn't detect any wetness around the intake. my mechanic cleaned up around there when he was checking things out, and he didn't see anything either. i pulled the coil again...
  15. S

lots of views, but no replies. was my post too wordy? anyone? anyone? bueller? (sad attempt at humor, i know) seriously, any responses would be greatly appreciated.
  16. S

2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 4.6L v8, 131k miles. On the way home from work, my check engine light came on. I could feel the engine stumbling, so I figured I had a misfire. I got it home and pulled the codes : P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire. I pulled cylinder 4 plug (last cylinder in the back on...
Back