Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

my stock exhaust is starting to get cringe level loud - can I just replace the muffler or should I also replace other parts?

Muffler will be #1 in determining sound level and note. Cats take some of the rough edges out of exhaust note. Resonator reduces the drone at certain RPM, but does little for volume (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the narrow section above the rear axle). I'd go ahead and replace any...
  2. I

Slamming hood to close it.

Mine is the same way.
  3. I

Engine overheats when Idling

Could just be a normal function of the engine. A few years ago when I nearly overheated in traffic, I had the same RPM that Brian is experiencing. It seems that the engine idles faster when it is hot and in park or neutral.
  4. I

Power Window broken. How Much Voltage is Normal from the Power Window Plug?

Thanks for the reply, I found an orange wire in the boot that was broken and connected the ends, unfortunately the power to the motor remains the same. I did find out why my passenger mirror only worked on one axis... So that's good. Any other ideas or am I stuck with paying a mechanic? Thanks...
  5. I

Power Window broken. How Much Voltage is Normal from the Power Window Plug?

Hello everyone I am diagnosing an issue with my left rear power window. This is the only window that does not operate (although the bushings need to be replaced in the RR door). Power door lock and the speaker still work. Issue: Window does not operate up or down, no motor sounds. The power at...
  6. I

Stock Radio Upgrade

I recommend going to Crutchfield's website. I bought my radio from them and their support helped me install my first radio - even going as far as sending me parts for free when the recommendations didn't work the first time. Ford went with a 1.5 din radio size so you'll need to do some shaving...
  7. I

FORD EXPLORER REVIEW - probably the most detailed analysis of popular SUV

Cool vid, I wanted to do a video of my own about Explorers, but never could decide on what exactly to talk about.
  8. I

Check Engine Code 214

Whoops, forgot to update this thread. It turned out to be the Camshaft Position Sensor.
  9. I

Let’s see your aftermarket fogs/light upgrades

Last year I installed some basic flood lights on the front of my Explorer. I wired them up with the stock fog light switch and a relay so the interior does not have any rogue switches. I bolted them in using pre-drilled holes in the bumper (although I did need to widen them out so the bolts...
  10. I

Headlight upgrade

Your best option (IMO) is doing an HID retrofit with aftermarket clear housings. However, option is expensive and time consuming so it is not for everyone, but the light output is unmatched.
  11. I

96 4.0 explorer 4wd lights blinking several times and windows not working

Don't give up on your power windows just yet. I had the exact same issue and fixed it with ease after testing the Accessory Delay Relay and replacing it for less than 15$. Here is some information to get started:
  12. I

Best Way to Seal Cut Open Headlights?

Unfortunately what's done is done. Hopefully I didn't just waste $100.
  13. I

I brought my headlights up to 300 degrees for 8 minutes but the glue never softened. The only thing getting soft was the plastic. I'll check out the silicone. Thanks.
  14. I

Camera was a little hard to focus so close, but this may provide some reference.
  15. I

I'm finally doing an HID retrofit on my 2nd Gen Explorer. I was unable to loosen the glue, (even at 300 degrees F, the glue was not budging) so I just cut the first headlight open with my Dremel. Now that I am about to order parts, I am wondering about resealing the housings after the retrofit...
  16. I

June EF Lottery

No good winter pictures of the Explorer this year, so here are some from previous years. Sun with snow Ice formation
  17. I

Power Window, Dome Light, Wiper Fail

Maybe one of the relays under the dash is malfunctioning? I don't recall if those relays control the wipers, though.
  18. I

2001 Explorer Headlight Help

I agree. I bought the Anzo lights just over a year ago and I'm extremely disappointed. Light pattern was garbage and the adjusters broke in half the second I tried to adjust the housings... Resulting in light that aimed down just ahead of the vehicle. Unfortunately I could not get a refund and...
  19. I

James' 95' XLT 4x4

Unfortunately the original transmission was cooked by 80,000 for towing. The second one lasted well over 200,000 so I'm more than satisfied with it. Looking back I'd have to agree with you, but at that point the transmission had already started to slip for the second time in it's lifespan. The...
  20. I

James' 95' XLT 4x4

Definitely, it sounds even better in person.
  21. I

James' 95' XLT 4x4

Had to return the headlights because the adjusters broke. Currently trying to pass the emission test but she keeps failing for hydrocarbons. Made a video while I checked the cats for blockage. Exhaust right from the down pipe!
  22. I

DEC EF Lottery

Here's a video of my Explorer (4.0 OHV) with no muffler and no catalytic converters when I was attempting to see if my cat was broken. I did not rev her above 3,000 rpm because she just started up and I did not want to risk blowing the engine by redlining. Now I want a louder muffler.
  23. I

Check Engine Code 214

I'll check them out, thanks! One or two of them are new, rest are the original. An estimated 313,000. The oil has about 2,000 miles on it. I'll check these things out, thanks.
  24. I

Check Engine Code 214

Thanks for your input, Friday afternoon the check engine light went off for the first time in weeks, so I decided to go ahead and have her tested for emissions so I can renew registration. Unfortunately the test was failed due to Hydrocarbons (which I'm told is un-burned fuel), so I changed out...
  25. I

Check Engine Code 214

About a year ago the check engine light illuminated showing the code (among others) 214. The light eventually went off until it came back on about 6 weeks ago and it has not stopped since. To my understanding it is the Camshaft Position Sensor or Crankshaft Position Sensor, but how can I be sure...
Back