Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

I just did. But, the news from the dealer is that I will be getting at least 50% off on new tires. I'm very pleased with the dealer and Hankook. There was a problem and they made things right. I will go ahead and put more Hankook's on the vehicle.
  2. B

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

We have less than 25k on our 2017 Platinum with Hankook tires. The dealer confirmed that the Hankook's that are on our vehicle were a bad batch and they are seeing what they can do in terms of cost abatement for replacement.
  3. B

3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running?

The EB engines have an algorithm that dynamically tunes the control parameters to optimize engine performance to the octane of the fuel in the tank. Based on the documentation I've read the engine can adapt to a new fuel within as few as a couple of wide-open-throttle accelerations, but the fine...
  4. B

2020 Explorer

The article specifically states that the Lincoln counterpart will have two powertrain options: 1) the 3.0L EB and 2) a PHEV, but then it says both will use the 10-speed transmission. Huh? That can't be correct. I'm not understanding how a PHEV could possibly use the 10-speed transmission. At...
  5. B

2020 Explorer

Do we know any of the rumored changes especially related to the powertrain?
  6. B

XLT vs Limited vs sport

My wife wanted a Limited. I forced the issue and we went with the Platinum. The 3.5 EB engine was the deciding factor for me.
  7. B

dealership said do NOT run higher octane in sport

I'm going to pile on here. Everybody knows the EcoBoost engines have special control logic that tries to dynamically figure out the optimal running parameters in realtime for the whatever octane fuel is used. There's no possible way the dealer mechanic can't know this. I wonder if they were...
  8. B

Oil Change interval

Most people consider those lifetime drivetrain warranties as gimmicks. Make sure you read the fine print. Mine says that oil changes must be done no later than 5,000 miles and that all paperwork for maintenance and repairs must be kept. There are a bunch of other conditions as well that make it...
  9. B

Your Best Mileage from a 2.3L Ecoboost?

Your picture didn't come through. photobucket recently disabled hot linking. I use imgur.
  10. B

I'm about to pull the trigger

Yeah, that's the naturally aspirated engine. The twin turbocharged 3.5L engine is called an EcoBoost and it uses direct injection. It's only available on the Sport and Platinum trims. I have mixed feelings on ex-rentals. I travel a lot for work so I rent cars frequently. I always treat them...
  11. B

looking for honest opinions on 5th Gen Ex

When we were looking I was trying to decide between the 2.3L EB or the 3.5L NA. The salesman tried to talk me out of the EB. I have no idea why. In the end it didn't matter because we got the Platinum with the 3.5L EB. But, it is good to know that people are really liking the 2.3L EB engine.
  12. B

Turboboost on 2.0 Explorer needs to be replaced (underboost)

Sorry to hear about this. If it's documented that you took it in prior to the 5yr mark with the symptom of "loss of power" I would think that's enough to prove that it was the turbocharger and not the motor mount especially since fixing the motor mount didn't even correct the rattle. Can a motor...
  13. B

Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP)

Go to the home page and look at the very bottom on the left where it says "quick quote". Enter some basic information and you'll get the quotes.
  14. B

Smoother Ride Limited or Sport? Cool seats worth it?

I'd imagine most people get the Sport over the Limited for the EB engine. Smoothness of the ride doesn't really factor in. At least it didn't for us. My wife was content with the Limited. I wanted the power of the EB engine and was leaning towards the Sport. We test drove a Limited and a Sport...
  15. B

Helping wife buy 2017 Platinum

The 3.5 EB engine is direct injection only on the Explorer. It does not have port injectors to keep the intake the clean. Though, the 2nd gen 3.5 EB engine (which the F150 uses) does have dual direct and port injectors, but the Explorer as of yet does not use the 2nd gen EB engine.
  16. B

Issues and dealer response.

It may be called an eCVT, but it's nothing like a conventional CVT. The formal name for it is an epicyclic gearing transmission. And yes, it's pretty cool. I find the shifting in my Explorer (or any other conventional vehicle) incredibility annoying compared to my Fusion Energi.
  17. B

Almost Ready to Buy a 2017 Limited

Based on the number of responses you've gotten so far it should be pretty obvious that we all love our Explorers and want to buy another :)
  18. B

You should price out the Ford ESP warranty. It might be cheaper than the GEICO warranty. It's also fully backed by Ford and is accepted at any Ford dealer without question. I got the 7yr/100k Ford ESP for my 2017 Explorer for $1300.
  19. B

2016 Sport Transmission how to question?

Just to be clear...when in S it starts out as S-auto, but when you use the paddle shifters for the first time it goes into S-manual. The question is how do you go from S-manual back to S-automatic without the annoyance of selecting D and then back to S again? I don't know, but am curious myself.
  20. B

Yes, you are correct. The EB engines are designed to run 87 octane fuel. In fact, I believe the MPG ratings are for 87 octane fuel. But, according to the 2017 Explorer brochure the advertised torque and HP ratings are with 93 octane fuel.
  21. B

I second the adaptive cruise control. It works really well. If you do road trips it is a must have. But since you'll be using it mostly for city driving you can probably pass. Though, like you said, if you already have the F150 for towing then maybe you don't need it on the explorer which frees...
  22. B

My brother was able to get a 10yr/125k mile Ford ESP on a brand new Escape a few weeks ago. He asked the dealer if they would match Flood Ford or Ziegler. The dealer apparently came through. He said the dealer had to use some fleet certificate to do it though which allows them to go past the...
  23. B

I think I paid about $1300 for 7 years and 100,000 miles. I'd delete that and shop around. I used Flood Ford. My dealer wouldn't even come close to matching their price.
  24. B

Oil Change interval

I have mixed feelings on the IOLM. In my Fusion Energi it always estimates out to 20,000 miles regardless of how much EV vs. ICE miles there are. That's normal by the way, everyone's Energi calculates out to that amount. My last change was 15,000 miles and the IOLM said 25% remaining. Honestly...
Back