Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

The end of the story: The crankshaft sensor was faulty, was showing low voltage. Sometimes the truck would start, sometimes not. It runs better now too. I have no idea why it was setting the P1260 code. Since last Friday it was been starting and running fine. I also had a horrific sound that...
  2. C

The truck I just bought has the pushrod V6 in it. My victory was short-lived, it won't start today, which I expected to happen, which is why I didn't take it anywhere far away yesterday.
  3. C

So here's the story: I let the truck sit there with the battery disconnected for approx 5 days, I was busy doing other things and also bought another Explorer to rob the PCM, PATS module, and keys from. Just out of curiosity I tried to start my truck on Tuesday afternoon. It started right up...
  4. C

That is what I was thinking as well. Worse case is I'd have to buy one as you indicated if I can't find a friend to help. I'm holding off right now anyway. I found a '98 for sale in North Jersey that runs but the seller says it has transmission "issues". He accepted my offer for it. Once I...
  5. C

Looks like a WiFi adaptor is required for Apple devices. I saw the info on the Standard and Extended user agreements for Windows, I don't see anything for Apple OS. I need to find out first if there is a similar arrangement to get the extended license for the OS version I would think. FORScan...
  6. C

You are correct. I was getting frustrated.
  7. C

I have to find out if there is a version for iPad, since I don't have a laptop, plus an adaptor for the diagnostic connecter that plugs into the Lightning connector on the iPad, or even better a Bluetooth adaptor. A year and a half ago I pulled the engine and replaced the entire timing...
  8. C

That looks interesting, thank you. I will have to read further after work. I did contact a certain company in Florida that touts their ability to repair/reprogram/supply every kind of electronic module ever installed in an vehicle, my intention was to ask if I can ship them the PATS module and...
  9. C

Yes, I believe you are correct.
  10. C

Well I was just reading that info, mine is type "B" and my scan tool doesn't have the capability to do the required steps so I'm back to square one now. The last thing I want to do is have it towed to the dealer so they can charge me a fortune so I can have a truck that actually starts! It looks...
  11. C

Thanks for that info Bob, I appreciate it! I'm gonna take a shot at replacing the PATS module and see what happens. I hate throwing parts at it without an exact diagnosis, but since the module is telling me the engine is "enabled" and the PCM is setting the code for "engine disabled by PATS...
  12. C

That little switch also tells the system whether the key is in or out of the ignition. On my scan tool I could go into live data and see key in/key out as I inserted and removed the key. The flimsy little switch was damaged and broke when I changed the transceiver a month ago. I was afraid it...
  13. C

Yes I have. I'm not pulling any other codes except B1352 Ignition key in circuit fault, that is because the little switch that fits on the lock cylinder housing under the PATS transponder is broken, so when the key is inserted it doesn't make contact. Sadly the annoying key chime doesn't work...
  14. C

The Theft light flashes as it's supposed to when the ignition is shut off. When the key is turned to "on" the theft light comes on steady for a few seconds then goes out (system "proves out"). I don't have a photo hosting service, I believe that is needed to post photos here. Tomorrow I will...
  15. C

Actually the new transceiver came with the short harness as part of the assembly, the old unit had a connector on it to disconnect the short harness, the new unit doesn't have the connector. One of the first items I checked was that connector where the short harness connects to the body wiring...
  16. C

My '98 XLT won't start. About a month ago it quit, I went into the system with my scan tool and everything pointed to the PATS transceiver. I bought a new transceiver from Ford, installed it and the truck started and was running fine until this past week. Began to have intermittent difficulty...
  17. C

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

I am not the original owner, but I have done extensive work on mine, and I agree, I intend to keep it for the duration.
  18. C

That's amazing. You must live outside of the snow belt. Rust kills them before they can get to that mileage unless one is vigilant with corrosion protection.
  19. C

I currently have 201,850 on my '98 XLT 4.0 SOHC. I pulled the engine at 189K and replaced all the timing components. Not burning oil. The trans cooler in the radiator blew up a few weeks ago, never had one fail before. Pumped 3 quarts of trans fluid into the cooling system very quickly. This...
  20. C

Im doing timing chains have a question...

I'm right in the middle of it, engine is out, gears, guides, chains are installed, waiting on rear crank seal and other parts before I reinstall. Did you get the timing tool kit?
  21. C

You doing the whole deal, front and back?
  22. C

4.0 Timing Chain Rattle!!!

Seems the nylon oil restrictor on the left head is missing. Pulled the plug and I can't see anything in there. Seems very odd. The engine looks like it's never been apart before, first I suspected someone did a head gasket and forgot to reinstall the restrictor, but it looks like it's never...
  23. C

Bolts on both ends of the jackshaft and the crank harmonic balancer bolt are TTY and must be replaced. Cam sprocket bolts can be reused, right side is reverse threaded.
  24. C

Anybody in washington state? i need to rent or borrow cam tool set.

So far it is working fine, partway through replacing the components. I found it on eBay. The price went up. http://www.ebay.com/itm/172587207857
Back