Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Resticking Lifter?

Roger - I'll just do all the rockers, pushrods, and lifters in one shot then. Preferred brands (if other than Ford)?
  2. G

Resticking Lifter?

So, not sticking just losing pressure ... Hrmm. Do we have a tutorial on replacement. Done rockers but not hydro lifters.
  3. G

Resticking Lifter?

Ever since we got the Mountaineer it's had lifter tick on the drivers side. I've confirmed that it isn't an exhaust leak. After switching to Mobile1 plus some MMO it's a little better but ... At startup/idle she ticks lightly - Gets loud but only under load - If I give her one hard rev to...
  4. G

Nice piece of 2nd Generation Ford Explorer memorabilia I found

I just sold my 96 with the original window stick and this brochure, haha
  5. G

Stalling when in drive with any load

Hook up your timing light to one plug wire at a time. Give it a rev while holding the trigger and see if the flash is broken up. One by one see if you can figure where the issue is. If it's been a while, you may just want to go ahead with a new coil, plugs and wires. They are part of regular...
  6. G

The 96 with only 58,900 miles

Oh, I rounded up the miles since I was still driving her occasionally. Final miles when I dropped it off at the guys house ... 58,672
  7. G

$4k firm is what I posted it for. The guy who showed up was a retiree & fellow vet. Sold for $3,800. How is this pricing for the market at large? I dunno. What I can tell you is that the local used car market is horrid. Very little for sale, all overpriced, and mostly beat to crap with no...
  8. G

No Air From Front Vents - Blower Working

HERE is what I was looking for I think
  9. G

No Air From Front Vents - Blower Working

If you open & remove the glove box door there is a 1"x1" vacuum manifold with several lines in the bottom left corner of the opening. A whole bundle of different colored lines. These are your individual vacuum controls. Test each line to see if it's holding vacuum. If not, that's the line with...
  10. G

Intake leak please help running out of options

No problem. We don't know that it is the issue and this test wont make us certain if it's a negative but it's worth trying. We got her running right so now we know it's worth it to keep her that way.
  11. G

Intake leak please help running out of options

Glad to hear it's running right finally. A sudden cutout could be an electrical fault for sure or an issue with your broken ignition. You could try taking for a spin and keeping pressure on the key. Try inward, upward, and downward pressure. Also, pulling on the key lightly. See if the fault...
  12. G

Po171 po174

TB = Throttle Body, yes. - A plastic bag and rubber band does the job nicely. Which hose doesn't matter so long as it's vacuum and large diameter (makes it easier). I believe there's one or two on the intake mani opposite the TB for the SOHC.
  13. G

Po171 po174

The cigar smoke test is engine off, cap your TB, T into the manifold, hose to front of car, puff on cigar and blow smoke into hose, cover end with thumb between puffs, and by the time the cigar is 2/3rds done the smoke will be coming out where there is a leak. Even when people replace all their...
  14. G

Probably had a bit of that servicing past due regardless of the fuse issue.
  15. G

Wow, surprised you got that many faults from just the fuse without hemorrhaging air. Be sure to service you're EGR system while you're poking around.
  16. G

Engine starts then stalls at idle

Making your own felpro gasket for the IAC is always a good idea. Last forever. The only real check for a vacuum leak it a smoke test. $5 and 15min.
  17. G

A two pack of Swisher Sweets, a vacuum T, and a length of hose. T into a line at the manifold, lead the extra hose to the front, puff on cigar, blow smoke into hose, place thumb over hose between puffs. By the time the cigar is done if you have a leak the smoke will be pouring out of it...
  18. G

1999 eb, rear shocks squeaking...

Might just be the bushings. Spray some penetrating oil into the heavy then retest. If the problem goes away (temporarily) then it's the bushings.
  19. G

EGR, PCV, and EVAP. You're basically getting codes for every emissions system. I'd do a smoke test and see if you just have a large vacuum leak driving most of the codes.
  20. G

98 explorer conversion from AWD to 2WD help

Your profile says Bronx NY. I'd be more curious why you're blowing transfer cases since you're probably not offroading.
  21. G

Well, she sold :-( Sad to see her go but it went to a Ford guy at least
  22. G

AC blows cold, then warm and cold again!

Or, clutch could be disengaging but I agree it's likely just low pressure. If you don't want to spring for a can with a gauge the thermometer test will tell you if it's pumping full cold.
  23. G

The Gem Conundrum

Hahaha. Since I work from home it's mostly driven by the missus. She wont even let me open up the exhaust a little :-/
  24. G

The Gem Conundrum

Both are in such great shape with low miles it was tough. The Explorer was almost spotless too. But yeah, ultimately it was the reliable 302 + uber beefy trans + towing capability that won out. The 4R55e in the Explorer had me skiddish. Sure, the thing had no miles and still got several...
Back