Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

I put them on my 03 X and didn't notice any change at all. Except now my arm doesn't get wet when I'm driving :D
  2. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

You hit the nail on the head. This stuff is only cheap at the pump because the feds want it to be. If the subsidies go away so does the "bargain" price of E85. I like that its good for the environment. But I hate the fact that the cheap price makes people think its a bargain when in...
  3. M

I agree Al! I have Lund Window air deflectors on my X. That tape is almost bullet proof. Once it's on it wants to stay on!! :D
  4. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

According to my friend it's not worth it! At least in his case. The numbers don't lie :D Even the lower price per gallon couldn't make up for the lost fuel economy :confused:
  5. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

I mean besides the check engine light.. IE: hard starting, bad performance or throttle response ;) My friend reported all of the above, yet his car runs great and performs well on gas
  6. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

:confused: I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to come up with a converter :confused: After the depressing results my friend got with his car, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. He actually saw a 30% decrease in mpg. Some simple math and we determined that he actually was...
  7. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

What engine are you running? 5.0 or 4.0?? I don't think the Explorers prior to 2000 are setup for E85 I live close to the area in your PM? You too? :D
  8. M

Multiple Issues

Hey Jason, You don't sound happy dude. I was looking at the "money pit" page and noticed that you've done a ton of electrical mods. (IE: tvs, audio, lighting) I think if I were having your electrical issues (flashing lights, alternator) I would start by checking out all the aftermarket...
  9. M

Common problem, bad gas mileage, normal?

Don't waste your time! A friend of mine bought a tornado for his Expedition. He didn't notice a change in power or gas milelage. In fact, the thing fit so loosely in the intake tube that it rattle around and made noise...... :p . He had to wrap it in duct tape to stop the rattle. :p I'm...
  10. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

Thanks for the info! All the same, I think I'm going to wait for some others to try it first. I'm sort of partial to my engine :D Better to let someone else order a crate motor than me :confused:
  11. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

Thanks for the info guys! The gas mileage issue is for real. I have a friend with a 99 Taurus that is FFV friendly and he has been running this stuff for awhile. He tells me that there is a noticable difference in the gas mileage and claims it could be as much as a 15% decrease. Remember...
  12. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

Does anyone know exactly what problems can arise from running E85 in a car not designed for it?
  13. M

E85 Ethanol Fuel

Hey Gang, The local stations in our area are just beginning to offer the new E85 Ethanol fuel. The research that I have done pinpoints good points and bad points but overall, it appears that the good outweigh the bad. Regular unleaded 87 fuel in our area is 2.40 per gallon vs. the E85 at...
  14. M

Removinh the Fan?

Even considering the additional upgrades, the percentages of MPG and HP gain are impressive. I'm following your posts regarding your new MAF. Any other new mods coming in the near future? :p
  15. M

Removinh the Fan?

Question for Aldive Hi Gang, Al, what kind of MPG improvement did the electric fan give you? How bout HP? I know you make periodic trips to the dyno. :p It would seem to me that any additional pull on the alternator would be insignificant in comparision to the reduction of drag on the...
  16. M

A\C: Air blow thru vents, then defrost

Turned out to be a vacuum line that had fallen off :D
  17. M

A\C: Air blow thru vents, then defrost

Hey Gang, I have a 2003 EX XLT with the 4.6 V-8. When I turn on the A\C it keeps the fan only seems to have two speeds. High and low. Nothing in the middle. The air also alternates between the vents and the defrost vents by the windshield. When it alternates it apparently opens the...
  18. M

:D I understand exactly what you mean. I'm the same way with my personal interests. Costs become secondary to achieving the goal. Personally, I think what you are doing is great! Like I said earlier, a great experiment and I wish you the best of luck. My point was more directed to some of...
  19. M

Just out of curiosity Al, did the ride height make a difference in mpg? ;)
  20. M

Al's MPG I have to go along with Al's driving style being a big detemining factor. Obviously, Al has a goal to get the best milage he can and he drives accordingly. That's great and I hope he achieves 40 mpg just so we can all say it can be done. :D It's a neat experiment! In my opinion...
  21. M

Dual Exhaust

No one in this forum has duals on a 4.6??? :D
  22. M

New Rotors already warped!

I just went thru a similar deal with my Expedition. My problem was pulsation in the brakes. The truck had the issue from day one. I told them I felt they should install new rotors on the truck since it was new, but they insisted on machining them. Finally, after machining them four times...
  23. M

Dual Exhaust

Hey Gang, Has anyone installed a dual exhaust system on a 2003 Explorer with the 4.6 V-8.?? I basically just like the noise. Are there any upsides or downsides to adding duals??? Any suggestions on what mufflers to install to give my truck a little rumble and a nice tone?? Thanks
  24. M

Missing Keypad Code 2003 Explorer

Thanks Dominican for the reply..........my code must be somewhere else. My truck is a 2003 XLT Explorer..........anyone else have any idea where this code is located? Thanks
  25. M

Missing Keypad Code 2003 Explorer

Hey Gang, I recently purchased a 2003 Explorer with the keypad on the door. The problem is that I don't have the code. Where can I get it? I've been told that its marked on the vehicle somewhere. Anybody know where to look?? Thanks
Back