Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Help with tire size, please!

Thanks for your reply. However, I would be replacing all four tires, not mixing. And yes, 4x4. Good idea?
  2. B

Help with tire size, please!

Hello, I have a 2004 Explorer XLS that I am hoping to get one or two more winters out of without spending much more money than I already have keeping this old goat alive. Stock tire size is 235/70R16. I need snows at my new home. I have a chance to get a set of Blizzack 235/60R16 for a very...
  3. B

Help with snow tire size

Hello and thanks in advance, So, what is the deal with alternate tire sizes? I have a 2004 Explorer XLS that I plan on keeping for only one more year...if it lives that long, and I would like to put snow tires on it this winter. Since this will probably be the only winter that I will use the...
  4. B

Here's a good one!/follow up

I recently posted asking for opinions about the problem that I was having with a very loud rhythmic thump upon decelaration. For more details please read the post "Here's a good one"! Well, I am amazed to report that the problem was, in fact, the mismatched tires on the truck. I put a set of...
  5. B

Here's a good one!

Thanks in advance. I recently purchased a 2004 Explorer with a strange problem; I didn't notice it when I test drove the truck because the problem only happens after 30 mins + of highway driving. The first time I felt it I thought it was noise from going over raised seams on the the highway...
  6. B

Help with transmission problem

Thanks Brooklyn (me too). For you and James (and others): this truck has 178k miles and it was a tough decision to make a major investment in it and depending on the cost of subsequent repairs I may or may not go ahead with additional investment. So, is this a problem that could lead to...
  7. B

Thank, James. I don't know which tranny it is but I will look into it. Can you give me an idea of the approximate cost of the computer? Used? Thanks again.
  8. B

Hello, Thanks in advance. I recently had the transmission in my 2002 Explorer rebuilt; it was slipping badly into third and fourth gears; no issues going into reverse. My mechanic, who has always been reliable, sent it to his transmission guy. I paid my mechanic $2000. When I got the...
  9. B

Transmission advice needed, please!

Greetings. I have an 2002 Explorer XlT 4WD with 174,000 miles. A few months ago the O/D light would start flashing and then turn off unexpectedly. Shortly after that the "Check engine" light would come on and, likewise, turn off unexpectedly. My mechanic warned me that those were signs of...
  10. B

rattling/pinging/knocking noise

Hi all, Thanks again to all who responded to my previous question about this problem; and Happy New Year!! After many questions and several mechanics, I am convinced that the source of the rattling/pinging/knocking (???) noise that I hear at around 2500 RPM's coming from the front of the...
  11. B

Rattling/pinging noise followup. Thoughts?

Hi all, Thanks again to all who responded to my previous question about this problem; and Happy New Year!! After many questions and several mechanics, I am convinced that the source of the rattling/pinging/knocking (???) noise that I hear at around 2500 RPM's coming from the front of the...
  12. B

Help with pinging/dieseling noise '02 SOHC

"Check engine light" Duh! No, no CEL. Thanks for the info.
  13. B

Forgive my ignorance, but what is CEL illumination? And how does one use Sea Foam? Thanks much. Lino Gomez
  14. B

Happy Holidays folks. Here's the problem: I have a '02 SOHC with 46,x.. miles. About six months ago I took her to a local dealer to get in a couple of minor repairs before the warranty expired. I had just begun to hear an annoying sound when I accelerated. It sounded like beans being poured...
Back