Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Repack front wheel bearings?

I've searched through a few other threads, and that's why I'm asking. I went to have an alignment done on my 94 Ex and the shop said they couldn't do it because my front wheel bearings needed to be repacked. The mechanic had the Ex up on the lift and was able to wobble my front wheels around...
  2. D

DeRocha's inner door handle crack repair

Oh, awesome. Thank you! I found this thread but my damage was a bit worse. One fine day, I went to close my door, and the handle came off in one fell swoop.
  3. D

Rough idle, running rich.. ugh

Update! I cleaned the MAF and the problem persisted. I finally took it to a shop and they tested the MAF and found that it was in fact dead. Replaced the MAF and things seem better.
  4. D

Ah, no, didn't see that one cuz it was moved to Under the Hood. I'm going to try another code reader, but the Key Off Engine Off test said "System Pass."
  5. D

94 XLT.. 160,000 miles on it. I just replaced the plugs and it's still doing the same thing. Rough idle, doesn't really smooth out, feels like NO power. Exhaust is black (but not thick.. just wispy black smoke) and smells like I'm pouring straight fuel out of the tailpipe. Plugs had a little...
  6. D

Shop recommendation - Dead AC, front end pulls.

My AC is dead and my Ex is pulling to the right still. Can anyone recommend a shop here in the Silicon Valley (near sunnyvale) that might be able to do a decent job at fixing both problems?
  7. D

My AC died

If I turn on the defroster, the only thing that happens is the engine will rev up a little bit about every 10 seconds. There is no cold air blowing. The freon was refilled. A local shop checked it & charged the system and refilled it. They're also the ones that used a test light and told me...
  8. D

My AC died

:( No power going to the AC compressor. The fuses are OK. No vacuum leaks. Nothing is unplugged. Any ideas on where I could look? Or, if the thing is dead, how much might I be looking at? It's a 94 XLT
  9. D

Gas mileage...frustrating me.

I used to get crappy mileage in my 94 Ex, but I cleaned the MAF really well, yanked the battery cables for 20 minutes, replaced the O2 sensors, and put it all back together. I can hit 250-260 miles per tank of gas with normal driving 'round town. Much improved over what I could do before. So...
  10. D

Tie rods: just tighten or replace?

I Googled around a bit and the only somewhat interesting thing I found was this: http://www.performancesuspension.com/Explorer.htm ... but, are the original tie rods really that bad? How much should it cost to get them replaced or just tightened? (In another thread, it was suggested that I...
  11. D

Brutal Gas Mileage

Clean the MAF! :-D I did that and noticed a great difference.
  12. D

Mushy steering?

Cool. Hopefully I can find directions somewhere. I have my Chiltons guide around here, I think. :-D And I think I even have that size socket! heh. But no torque wrench. ugh.
  13. D

Mushy steering?

How much 'play' is normal in the steering wheel? Mine feels kind of "mushy" - I can move the wheel a good inch or two before turning happens. How often do tie rods go bad? I have 138,000 miles on my '94 XLT. I bought it used, so I do not know what maintenance was performed before I purchased...
  14. D

for people that like to go fast!!

I'm happy the speedo only goes to 85. I haven't had a speeding ticket in YEARS now. And that's a good thing! :-)
  15. D

A/C stopped working. :(

Cool, I'll check that out. I didn't take the dash apart, but the Explorer was bouncing around quite a bit on the last trip. Maybe something came loose. The orange "A/C" light comes on when I press the button, though. ;)
  16. D

A/C stopped working. :(

Yesterday I tried my A/C for the first time in a couple weeks. (1994 XLT) - when I press the button, I don't hear the compressor come on or anything. 1) Is there anything specific that I can check for? 2) How much do A/C repairs usually run? I just moved so my Chiltons guide is in a box...
  17. D

filthy under the hood

After a few trips through some mud, it's absolutely *filthy* under the hood. Taking the Explorer to a detail shop is more $$ than I really have to spend, so I figure I'll ask you guys. Any suggestions for cleaning off the engine/etc? I don't want to damage anything by just taking the...
  18. D

Clunking sound.....

And bloody hell, will you fix your keyboard? TyPiNg LiKe ThIs is for 14yr old girls on myspace.com :P Stop that!!! :PPPP
  19. D

Whats the point of AutoZone?

We have Kragen's (Checkers), Pep Boys, Napa Auto Parts, and Vato Zone. Auto Zone is the only place that carries Seafoam around here. And I got a cool "#3" sticker there, so I guess they're good for something. :D
  20. D

Serious Explorations 10th Anniversary Run

I voted for Moab because a)I've never been there and b)I hate driving anywhere near Southern California. :)
  21. D

Trip Report : Truck Haven 2005

Oh, so a stones throw from "The Middle Of Nowhere" - cool. :D
  22. D

Trip Report : Truck Haven 2005

Alright, I hate to sound *too* lost.. but where does TruckHaven take place? Near what city/state? And.. when is it? :) I only have a stock X (for now.. still my daily driver) but I have a great portable BBQ, and any excuse to go out and grill is a good one. :D
  23. D

Seafoam

Woah, someone from Walnut Creek! My hometown! Uh, the gas & oil is about as far as I got with the Seafoam as well. I'm thinking about taking some photos under the hood and asking someone to circle the insertion points. :)
  24. D

Excessive Gas Usage

Since dumping a bottle of seafoam into the tank, I can now hit 250 miles. My driving pattern is a mix of city & highway. I'm going to try replacing the air filter, and it's about time to replace the spark plugs as well.
  25. D

Excessive Gas Usage

the fuel filter is an interesting one. How often should those be replaced? I've heard every 50,000 miles. What do you guys recommend for that? (My 94 can only go about 250 miles on a tank.. at 250miles, the needle is dangerously below "E")
Back