Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

98 explorer stuck in4wd

Thank you for your input, I replaced the sensor and it is working great, thanks again!!:D
  2. N

98 explorer stuck in4wd

I have a 98 exsplorer xlt 4.0 sohc, 5r55e trans The trans has been rebuilt,and the rear diff was also rebuilt. the problem is that it stays in 4whi even when the dash switch is on auto, 4 hi to 4lo works fine. I unpluged the t case harness and it went into 2wd but when I reconnected the...
  3. N

Stuck in 4wd

Hello, I have a 98 Explorer xlt, 4.0 sohc 5r55e. (rebuilt trans & rear end) B/W 4405 t case. the problem is that it stays in 4wd when the switch is in the auto position, and the 4wd kight is off, when I switch to 4 high the light comes on, when I switch to 4wd lo, it changes as it should...
  4. N

Transfer case problem

I replaced it with another T case, when I got the old one out,I fished out broken pieces of a shift fork, changing T cases was not hard at all, good luck with yours
  5. N

Transfer case problem

Unfortunately I was'nt driving it when it happened,My wife was she said the noise started and quickly went away,then came back @a mile later,when she pulled over it made a grinding sound in all gears but not in P or N and it stopped moving,and it rolls free in park. (this all happened 350...
  6. N

Transfer case problem

OK I got the T case out,(eaiser than I expected)and it IS a B/W 4405 when I looked into the oil fill hole I found a couple of pieces of metal they look like an arm or lever and a white piece of plastic about 3/4" long and "U" shaped when looking at it from the end,this is enough evidence...
  7. N

Transfer case problem

The switch on the dash was on the Auto setting
  8. N

Transfer case problem

the shift motor sounds like it is working , the problem first happened while cruising at 70 mph w/cruise on. i belive it ts a 1354, how can I tell for sure? the tag # is m1471 4405-11...
  9. N

Transfer case problem

I have a 98 explorer 4.0 A/t,when in drive or R,the T case makes a grinding noise and does not put any power to the driveshafts the noise goes away in P&N,I drained the T case fluid and strained it and found several white plastic pieces(small) does anyone have any idea what the plastic...
  10. N

1998 explorer 4.0 A/T broke down out of town

Fist off I apologize for the long explanation, but this info is comming from my wife over the phone(it broke down @ 350 miles from home) OK it is a stock 98 explorer 4x4 auto w/elect hi-lo range & 97000 miles she was cruising along about 65 mph and briefly heard a "whirring" noise but it...
Back