Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Hard to find info on this online

The “CAI” cult craze would have you believe they have the “holy grail” of engine mods. Physics doesn’t lie. Air temps inside the engine bay are much hotter than outside ambient temps. Hotter air is less dense than cooler air. Lower density equals lower horsepower. Save your money on that one...
  2. C

Name this part

Front diff vent line?
  3. C

Avoiding self-destruction with a power inverter...

Use a set of clamps on the battery. That way the inverter drain doesn’t affect anything else.
  4. C

Battery Issue?

The load test suggestion is great to determine intra-cell condition. Yes, time spent on a six year old battery is usually a waste, but if one has a newer one, it’s an easy check to confirm cell integrity. Battery can register 12.6V and fall flat immediately. That’s indicative of a dead cell and...
  5. C

Do I have enough power for my amp and sub

Ditto on the no. The power ratings are misleading. If you cranked the sound to half power, you’d be approaching ear bleed sound. Yes, I like a good thumping amp like the next guy, but let’s be real. We don’t drive our Explo’s wide open throttle for very long on any given day. You’ll be fine.
  6. C

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

My ‘99 just barely topped 100K two nights ago.
  7. C

Need some help with stereo replacement

Does yours have a rear seat control option for the factory radio? What about factory subwoofer? I ran into the same issue with mine. Just bought the basic adapter and abandoned the rear controls as I didn’t want to splice anything. That doesn’t help you much, though. Perhaps this does
  8. C

Hello, I'm new here .wanted to ask a question?

You probably can’t buy Mercon multipurpose any more.
  9. C

1998 xlt transfer case questions

Yes, that’s normal.
  10. C

1998 xlt transfer case questions

Drdoom, you’re right. I’ve had mine up on jack stands and in 4WD, I can hold the front wheel and easily prevent it from spinning. Definitely normal open diff. Tcase clutch pack possibly damaged.
  11. C

Fog lamp bulbs

No. The difference is only 1A higher per bulb
  12. C

Anyone with experience with keeping a car that the insurance company has totaled?

Ditto everyone’s vote to keep and fix. My wife got rear ended on a freeway on ramp in her Mazda 3. We took it and the settlement less ~$400 home with us. I found a perfect trunk lid and trunk opening. Sawzall got me a nice piece of new steel that I cut in where the damage was. I bought a new...
  13. C

timing chain

I hear that, Jon. I will keep my eyes open for a V8 unit. Ruby( my red ‘99) is too nice to let the SOHC demon take her out of service. Last year I swapped a built 350 into my ‘95 Silverado that was born with a 4.3 V6. That was a pain because GM switched computers in ‘95 but not for the small...
  14. C

What's your explorer looking like today

I’ll keep my eyes open for a set. We have some huge you pull yards here in Salt Lake.
  15. C

timing chain

Thank you, Sir. That is very helpful info. I’m a complete noob when it comes to Xplos. Didn’t know it was going to be that extensive. Maybe I’ll just spring for the chain kit and store it for the eventual.
  16. C

timing chain

Mine just started chattering a month ago (90K in the clock). I replaced the hydraulic tensioners and it stopped for now. Only $140 for the tensioners. Ended up having to replace my thermostat housing because the coolant sensor seized in the original housing. That cost me another $150 including...
  17. C

Mounty sound system in explorer

Mine didn’t have the factory sub. Managed to find one at the pick & pull. I bought a new 8” Kicker dual coil, wired in a monoblock amp I had laying around. Tied it all together with a Kenwood head HD Bluetooth unit and it rocks so nicely. Modified the factory trash pocket with a piece of...
  18. C

What's your explorer looking like today

‘99 XLT 4.0 SOHC 90K. Had to replace the timing chain tensioners last weekend. Inside is pristine.
  19. C

99 SOHC timing chain dying

Thank you very much TBT!
  20. C

Ok, found a couple of replacement parts kits. The Motorcraft kit is $550. Staying away from Cloyes, I found a Melling kit, Model 3398S. Does anyone have experience with this kit? I’ve even seen ones for less than $200. What’s up with that?
  21. C

Thank you, Sir. Just watched a video about it. WTF? Seriously Detroit? Wow. How can that be good? Oh well. Now to try to find a non-Cloyes timing kit.
  22. C

So, I started Ruby this morning and she was giving me the timing chain rattle pretty badly. Time to do surgery and I want to make sure to buy the right kit. I see kits for balance shaft and non balance shaft vehicles. Is the balance shaft issue the one on the transfer case? Thanks in advance...
  23. C

Starting question

Thanks a lot, Dave! I’ll give it a look this weekend. Greg
  24. C

Starting question

Noob here. Just looked through what I though might be the archive for this issue and didn’t quite find my issue. Sorry if it’s been asked. Not consistently, but sometimes when I start Ruby, the interior lights will go out. Truck always starts, it’s just strange. The lights shouldn’t go off at...
Back