Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

2.3 2016-2019 Explore TSB 22-2287 Vibration/Rough Idle In Drive (D) Or Reverse (R), Lack Of Engine RPM/Acceleration On Take-Off, Shudder While Driving

Hey all, Just curious if anyone else has been hit by the TSB? We just got our 2017 back from the dealership. After 72k, a new transmission was in order. I'm definitely a little disappointed to need a transmission this early, especially considering I changed the fluid every 30k since new...
  2. J

Time for new plugs, or something else?

Hello all, I have a 2017 explorer, 2.3, with 70k. Today, engine started to idle rough in drive or reverse. Once you give it some gas, everything seems fine and it drives as it always has. I'm curious about the plugs. I know the manual says 100k, but I can't help but wonder if this is plug...
  3. J

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Years ago I had a Ford Freestyle that had a PTU with no drain plug. I drilled and tapped a hole in the same blank boss you can see next to the left side hex bolt in your pic. It was surprisingly easy, because the thick oil draining out helped the tap cut threads and pushed any chips out as it...
  4. J

Solved Cold Start Misfire - 2.3 Ecoboost

I have worked at Pep Boys twice in my life, 10 years apart, and at 2 totally different locations. I wouldn't trust them to put windshield wipers, let alone touch an engine. I could make your ears bleed with stories about how bad the Mechanics and staff was at both locations were. Short...
  5. J

2017 2.3 ecoboost, possible detonation?

I'm trying to track down a very random (and hard to repeat when I am able to troubleshoot) noise. It is a 2017 XLT with the 2.3 Ecoboost AWD and 45,000 miles. The noise almost sounds like a playing card being stuck into a box fan. It only happens when the Explorer is pretty well loaded with...
  6. J

Nail in 1 tire --> Told to replace all 4!?!?

I'm sure you will be fine with the tire plugged. I see no reason to replace all 4 tires for a 1/8" difference between new and old, or to not plug the location you plugged. Sure a shop may tell you "no" but that's because people will sue over anything anymore.
  7. J

The rare case of synthetic oil

Agree. I have been using synthetics for decades now with zero problems. Other than the old school thought process of "once you use synthetic you can't go back" or "synthetic will makes your seals leak" I have never experienced anything negative from a synthetic. Over the years there have...
  8. J

The rare case of synthetic oil

Blend was created to get some of the benefits of synthetic without the full purchase price of synthetic. I agree with many of the above posts, going synthetic will not decrease HP or MPG. There is something else at play here. You can never rule out the placebo effect.
  9. J

2017 XLT front power point not working

I'm still searching for an answer. The closest I have found is a YouTube video of someone replacing the center console, this removed the whole assembly where the power point is located. it was quite the process, and I'm really hoping that is not what is needed to replace just the power point...
  10. J

2017 XLT front power point not working

Hello all, Our 2017 XLT front power point stopped working. I checked the fuse and it is fine. The USB also works. I do not have any voltage at the power point. I would like to remove the power point to check voltage at the wires to see if it is the power point itself that is bad. Does...
  11. J

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Changed the PTU on my 2017 2.3 today. 33,600k miles. Fortunately my fluid looked pretty good (very dark, however) and didn't have a lot of metal shavings in the fluid or drain plug. Still, felt good to know that it has fresh fluid now. Plan to do this every 30k moving forward.
  12. J

Oil Change interval

I do not test mine with every oil change. That would be a waste of money. I will do the test on the oil ever 4 to 5 oil changes and then compare to the last test for that vehicle. Blackstone would like you to test every oil change, but that's just crazy talk.
  13. J

Oil Change interval

Oil color is not an indication of the oil needing to be changed. I typically do 7500 to 10000 on my oil changes, full synthetic and follow the OCI. I have sent several samples to Blackstone over the years, and they always tell me I could have gone more mileage than what I did for the sample I...
  14. J

What the..? Any guesses?

Agree with many of the other posts. Batteries were a good idea, electronics get funky especially when batteries are low. Also could have been interference, and never rule out the "fluke" with anything electronic. I work in an production industry, and one of the most common fixes for our...
  15. J

Sometimes I wonder if I really should buy a 2019 Explorer.

Agreed. How many people think to come to forums for any product and say, "Hi, I bought XXXX product and everything is working great. Carry on." You need to do more research than a forum to decide if a vehicle is right for you.
  16. J

The 2.3l Ecoboost XLT is fast...

I also have been impressed with how well the little 2.3 does. I recently had ours loaded up with 6 guys, me being the small one at 175lbs. Pulled us along quite easily, and had no issues passing numerous times on the freeway.
  17. J

2017 brake light replacement

Called Ford today, and they confirmed that this is covered by the warranty. Taking it in on Monday to have it replaced. Thanks again for the information.
  18. J

Peterk, no still under warranty. Thanks. I will call the dealership tomorrow.
  19. J

Hey all, We have a 2017 XLT, and I noticed today that the passenger brake light is out. I took off the light assembly, but was a little taken back when there was not bulb to replace. It looked like an entire assembly. I looked in the manual, and it says this can only be serviced/replaced by...
Back