Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Spongy brakes - Fixed

My first attempt at fixing the brakes was back in 2006, when after reading some threads, I switched over to PowerSlot Rotor and Hawk Pads. I also replaced the front calilpers and rubber hoses. It helped, but wasn't great. Well the truck sits most of the time, and since then the inside of the...
  2. D

1998 - Correct Temp - Wrong Vents

My 1998 Eddie Bauer has the electronic dash control, but it seems to have lost its mind. The fan control and temp controls work, but it is moving the air from vent to vent as I'm driving, even when I set it to floor/panel. Any help would be appreciated before I start tearing into to dash to try...
  3. D

Wanted rear shock perches for 1998 Explorer

Purchase made. :thumbsup:
  4. D

Wanted rear shock perches for 1998 Explorer

The rear shock perches on my 1998EB are rusted nearly completely away. Before I hit the local salvage yards looking for replacements, I was hoping to send some dollars to a forum member instead. Anyone have a descent pair laying around?
  5. D

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

Yes, I'm down here in Southern Maryland, and I'm about 30 miles from MIR. The raceway is actually in the town of Budds Creek, so everyone still just calls it Budds Creek.
  6. D

any chance the spare could crush your fuel cell in a roll over?
  7. D

Or you could add a tent to the back of your next trailer. Nissan makes this tent that fits the back of an suv or minivan. So presumaably it would still work if you cut the front of the vehicle off.
  8. D

1998 5.0 V8 - Pinging & Poor MPG - FIXED!!!

I can give some background info for those that may have a similar problem. For starters, I'm in DC which is basically at sea level. Anyway this is how a 1998 5.0L MAF sensor dies without letting you know. I bought the truck used back in 2002 with nearly 60K on it. I purchased a 1yr...
  9. D

1998 5.0 V8 - Pinging & Poor MPG - FIXED!!!

I used to love my Explorer. It ran great and got 16-17 MPG around town and 21-22 MPG highway. Then, it started pinging and the MPG began to drop, but the truck didn't throw any codes. I fixed it by turning up the radio and putting more gas in the tank. Then it got even worse and I decided to...
  10. D

found on CNN today. Your competition
  11. D

Best battery for 98 Explorer 4.0

Johnson controls makes both the Optima and supplies all the Sears Die Hards. They also supply batteries to Interstate. Retailers like Autozone can have multiple suppliers but I believe their "Gold?" series is supplied by JC. I know JC also supplies some of the walmart batteries. However, the...
  12. D

Shock Removal Tool

O.K. However, in terms of possible pressure buildup from the heat, a typical gas-charged shock is charged to like 100-150 psi even at room temperture. Some mono-tubes are charged to nearly 400 psi. Of course not all shocks are gas-charged, so many aren't under any pressure at all. Even so, I...
  13. D

Shock Removal Tool

This may be one for MythBusters, but I've been told you should avoid torching gas-charged shocks because of the risk of it exploding.
  14. D

Shock Removal Tool

Nut splitter Cold chisel Small hacksaw
  15. D

Shock Removal Tool

Is this what you are looking for Shock Tool
  16. D

HELP! I am stuck and i can't get out. (Story of the longest Whoops!)

Couldn't help noticing the damage to the rear bumper. Was that caused by the jack? if so, anyone know how to lift an explorer like that without tearing up the bumper? (Just incase I should get stuck myself someday.)
  17. D

Ford and Spongy brakes

To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet to chime in anywhere in this forum to say that bleeding the HCU has fixed their spongy brake issue. If it is here somewhere I would like to see it. Yes, I've searched. I have new calipers, rotors, and shoes, all the way around. I've bled the...
  18. D

replacment ball joint, not same

I replaced mine just a few months ago, and I couldn't find the inner piece. I admit I didn't look too hard for one. It was just easier to buy the one piece arm. I went with MOOG parts, becasue it has a grease fitting the original Ford part doesn't, and I can tell you that MOOG part #K8710T is...
  19. D

replacment ball joint, not same

The big advantage with the one piece control arm is that it includes new bushings. If you bought the ball joint arm for the two piece design, you only get the outer piece with the ball joint in it - and not the inner piece that has the bushings in it. For that reason alone I bought the one...
  20. D

Do we have a new leader in oil filters now?

Well, getting back the to the Walmart SuperTech filter, it's made by Champion labs. They also make the Mobil 1 and K&N filters. It would be intetesting to cut all three open to see if there is actually any difference between them.
  21. D

Do we have a new leader in oil filters now?

O.K. so I cut open a Fram filter. I found a bunch of metal shavings in a ring like pattern right near where I cut I open. I told you they were junk. ;)
  22. D

Beached Explorer

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the site. So, you call yourself 'Crazzy Earl' and you work at a nuclear plant?
  23. D

Beached Explorer

Hope Creek? Is that the same thing as the Salem Nuclear Plant? That's what I've always heard it called.
  24. D

Front Mount Hitch Receiver

Strange. Looks like Drawtite needs to update their web site. They show this picture, but don't offer the hitch shown.
  25. D

Ford Explorer vs. Ford Courier...

Sundowner.
Back