Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

front wheel bearing noises

Ok have a Question about the bearings. Mine broke and crumbled cousing my EX to make a strong right turn doing 90 on the I15 almost ramming an 18 wheeler. Anyway took the EX to a mecanic (he didnt know much but he was right bout my bearings ) He thought it might be my front wheel bearing...
  2. T

loud bang under the floor

yep thats what it sounds like Ok with all the information i have now and armed with the haynes repair manual two or 3 days to take the front end off replace all whats broken fix all that needs fixing and another 3 days of putting it back together should do it. Unless it was a rock, branch...
  3. T

wow thanks for the quick reply, i sure hope this is NOT my problem, if it is I am looking at a few hundred to have it done. I am lacking the time and tools to do it myself. So for my sake lets hope it is not MY problem, but if it is than i found it thanks to the quick responce today. thanks again.
  4. T

sounds about right ok what you say sounds like it, it does feel like it is right under my feet, those radius arm bushings you called them. Hard to do it your self ? and maybe a picture of them?
  5. T

Ok I have replaced the shift motor and the 4X4 is working fine now so lets try it on the beach. perfect, lets try the dunes.... perfect again, or is it? going up a dune a loud banging from under the car and you can feel it on your floor board! scared me and the mrs, so back home we...
  6. T

4X4 half the problem solved

search before asking ! Ok OK i get the idea i should have searched this site before i asked. There is nothing wrong with my low range, All i had to do was put the car in neutral hit the brake pedal and press the button. The light came on telling me the low range had engaged. and it was...
  7. T

4X4 half the problem solved

Ok after a few usefull hints here, i was able to fix halve my prob with the automatic shift motor. I replaced it with a working one (junk yard $40) and it shifts from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive. and even the lights come one the one on the switch and the one on the dash. BUT !! i see no lights...
  8. T

squeeky sounds from below

:exporange I took of the shift motor from my transfercase, to see if the 4x4 would work i manual put it in 4x4 low and drove it on the beach. The 4x4 works fine, this means my auto hubs and transfercase are working, however.... On the way home (back in 2x4 high) the transfercase sounded like...
  9. T

'91 4x4 electricals

volts meter if you get under youre X pull the conecter of the shift motor hook a volt meter to the yellow and orange wire coming from the inside of the car ( not the ones on the shift motor ) get in turn key push 4x4 and look at the meter to see if there is a voltage showing up if not than...
  10. T

'91 4x4 module test?

what ever you do, do NOT!.... What ever you do do NOT TAP the shift motor. I did that and smashed the magnets inside of it and have to replace the whole shift motor. There is a thread here in this forum that shows you how to rebuild the shift motor. read it and do it. its simple i should...
  11. T

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

rebuild? nope replace? yep Ok a short reply to this thread. First let me explain who i am, i am a totaly incompetent mecanic with two left hands plastic tools and the patience of a 3 year old. It took me 4 days to mentaly prepare myself to get under the car and take down the shiftmotor...
  12. T

Interior Lighting Question.

i told you i was new, but now you are making fun of me are you not? PULLING with a HAMMER?
  13. T

newbie in the 4x4 school

Grrrrrrrrr replaced and still nothing Ok I am back again A new day new chances. :roll: I replaced the dashboard switch The controller unit in the rear and to make sure replaced the #9 fuse as well as the 40 amps fuse under the hood. Now when i press the reset button on the controller...
  14. T

newbie in the 4x4 school

e-bay works :D this is fantastic man! if this is a good it might solve some of my problems, i still think i will have to rebuild the shift motor and for that i can use the thread posted by crankshaft. If there is anything i can do in return let me know. I realy apreciate this help :) :roll:
  15. T

newbie in the 4x4 school

Ok i found the position #9 but to my suprise there was a 30 amps in it and that was a good one. I think this means my controller is dead. Any sugestions where to get a new one or used? and if at all posible someone that knows what he or she is doing when they try to fix the auto 4x4. I am...
  16. T

newbie in the 4x4 school

Ok even tho it is raining like madness this fuse i need to check! I just bought the chilton ford book 26688 (explorer, mountaineer and ranger 91'-99') study never hurts anyone but in this book they avoid the 4x4 automatic parts, lol i wonder why? so im back out in the rain, a 15 amp in...
  17. T

newbie in the 4x4 school

found the white button :roll: Hi many thanks for your reply to my question. I have found the white button on the black box next to the red led, phew! pressing the white button towards the ceiling doesnt do anything, no red led glowing. The buttons on the dashboard were conected but i...
  18. T

Greetz from The Netherlands

groeten terug (greetz back) soory guy but i am going dutch on this one, let me know if ya all want a translation i might trade it for a new shift motor lol. Hoi nederlander, ben geboren in Amsterdam maar leef nu in Californie ben eigenaar vab een 91' xlt. Voorzichtig met dit forum ze...
  19. T

newbie in the 4x4 school

I just bought my first 4X4 vehicle yep! a explorer xlt 91'. Didnt mind the 4X4 wasnt working, i was sure that i could fix it with a fuse! Wrong! so on to the web for help, found this forum and joined it. read some helpfull threads about rebuilding the shiftmotor and i am sure i will have to...
  20. T

Push Botton 4WD not working!

any have a photo of the notorious relay? in its place that is. I just bought the 91 and love it but im also hopelesly lost in technical specs. I wanna use the 4X4 but my 91 says 2X4 is good enough
  21. T

still more 4x4 pushbutton troubles

4x4 button? Is that the button on the dash that says 4x4 but doesnt do a da.. thing when you press it? If so than I have one of those buttons and would love toknow where to locate the problem and solve it so i can join on the next exploration :)
Back