Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Any fix for water in spark plug wells 4.6L?

i am not sure, must be clearance. for this model/engine i know that is the procedure. i have never pulled a head myself. that is serious enough for me to take it to someone.
  2. K

Follow up for my issue - which was posted in the wrong forum, but posting the update anyways for anyone who comes across this later in a google search. Especially since I came upon this exact post while now researching fixing the original issue that caused my broken plug. My 2005 Explorer v8...
  3. K

Broken #8 spark plug

I had planned on doing that until I read (in multiple sources - Haynes manual, online sources, and the mechanic indicated) that engine removal is required. That definitely gets beyond my comfort zone - ie, make matters worse. Right now I can drive it to the shop on 7 cylinders. Just gonna cost...
  4. K

Broken #8 spark plug

i figured i would be removing the head (or having it done, I should say). Was just throwing out that last Hail Mary toss hoping someone had a home fix that would work. So it will sit for a few months while I save up to get it fixed (luckily still have my old pickup as backup). Thanks for the...
  5. K

Broken #8 spark plug

no hex. broken flush at the bottom of the well.
  6. K

Broken #8 spark plug

2005 Explorer XLT 4WD 4.6L V8 2V - 108k miles due to the apparently common issue of water coming down the windshield, in to the engine compartment, and then landing in the #7 and #8 wells, I ended up breaking plug #8 a few weeks ago while trying to change plugs. Bottom half of plug (threading...
  7. K

spark Plug removal

I just realized that this is an 06-10 forum which have the 3V engine. Mine is an 05 with 2V, so the tool is of no use to me. So it's pulling the engine and head for me!
  8. K

Correct, and sorry, this post showed up first on a google search, and I did not notice it was in a 06-10 forum. Though the OP issue with the water coming down the windshield and on to the engine is the same.
  9. K

that thread, and 99.9999% of what I can find online is for the issues with plugs on the 3V engine. This is a 2V engine, and the plugs are very different. The Lisle tool only works on the 3V plugs. Our other two vehicles are the 3V Triton, so I am very familiar with that process.
  10. K

spark Plug removal

How in the world did you get the porcelain and electrode out? Exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago. #8 is rusted on and snapped in half. I have tried every chisel, punch, etc, to try to break the porcelain and nothing works. I was quoted 22 hours to get the engine out and head off...
  11. K

Discovered this issue when changing plugs - and apparently #8 was rusted enough due to the water that it broke while coming off. Now engine needs to be pulled to get the cylinder head off.
Back