Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

PTU Problems

Still no solution. Upon taking the transmission apart, the mechanic found "excessive metal" on the magnet. They replaced the torque converter, stator support, valve body, and solenoid body. The issue still persists. They told me they don't know what else to replace. My next thing i am to...
  2. K

PTU Problems

I'm on my 15th-20th trip to the dealer(s). First dealer basically told me it was my imagination because it wasn't throwing any error codes. So far the second dealer replaced a PTU, turbo, drive shaft, rear half axles, did a fuel induction service, and none of these have resolved the...
  3. K

PTU Problems

Thanks for your input, and guidance to other areas in this forum. I will come back and post the end result, when/if they fix it
  4. K

PTU Problems

When I use the paddles, and shift from 6th into 5th, it stops. It only occurs in 6th gear, when I accelerate, and remains in 6th. That’s when the bucking occurs. The tech at the dealer is suspecting the PTU (yes, this is the replacement PTU) may be faulty. So far, they’ve replaced the drive...
  5. K

PTU Problems

Still didn’t fix the problem. Now they want to drop a scope into the engine.
  6. K

PTU Problems

Doesn't sound like it will hurt it. :) But is it a fix? I will keep you posted. (I'm not feeling that confident it will fix my consistent "bucking/shudder/hesitation", which occurs exactly in 6th gear only, starting at about 58 mph, and higher). If it shifts into 5th, it stops
  7. K

PTU Problems

UPDATE: 10/31/17. Only 6 1/2 months later, Ford finally took care of the odor from the PTU exploding. Secondly, the "bucking/shudder/hesitation" has finally been recognized by the dealer. They state that there are multiple misfires, but cannot determine what is causing them. At this point...
  8. K

PTU Problems

My 2016 Explorer Platinum PTU exploded (literally exploded according to the dealer) while going about 65-70 mph. It also is a cooled unit. This happened on 4/1/17, and it is now nearly 6 months later, and I am still having issues. The car "bucks" or hesitates in 6th gear at low RPMS (around...
  9. K

PTU Problems

Thank you so much!! That is EXACTLY what i am experiencing - as described in the thread about highway shudder.
  10. K

Highway shudder

I have a 2016 Platinum. I've had the exact same issue since 4/1/2017, when the PTU exploded at highway speed, same speed. They replaced the PTU, drive shaft, rear half axles and it still keeps doing the same thing.
  11. K

PTU Problems

Well, now I am "high and dry". The dealer will not do anymore work on it unless I shell out cash for their work. They said that because there are no error codes, it is not a warranty issue. This has been goin on for 5 months, 3 different Ford dealers, and I don't know where to turn to next to...
  12. K

PTU Problems

I didn't post any pics. Sorry
  13. K

PTU Problems

Yeah, it's definitely outside the lemon law due to mileage being over. I haven't even owned the vehicle a year at that point. Everything has been covered under warranty and I've spent $0.00, but it's the having to go back yet again, for an 11th time, and it still isn't fixed. They've replaced...
  14. K

PTU Problems

It was the same speed, except I was accelerating firmly, and it seems to have shifted correctly. If I accelerate lightly, and/or gradually, it stays in 6th, and the shudder occurs. It mostly occurs when I keep up with traffic, or when I begin to climb a hill. That's when the...
  15. K

PTU Problems

My next visit to the dealer will be my 11th visit. I like to think of the dealership as my home away from home... :)
  16. K

PTU Problems

I asked Ford Customer Care to replace the vehicle or issue a refund. They flat out told me "No, we don't do that". Nor am i covered under PA's Lemon Law. The first dealer, L.B. Smith Ford, replaced the PTU, and i asked about the foul odor, and they told me the smell will wear off in time. I...
  17. K

PTU Problems

Yeah, i was in 6th when it blew. It shuddered twice before it went - i felt the first shudder/hesitation (in 6th gear) about 2 miles prior, and then a firm hesitation just before it blew. I heard a loud metal clunk, and the whole vehicle shook. I've never seen so much smoke! I thought I was...
  18. K

PTU Problems

Yeah, i was in 6th when it blew. It shuddered twice before it went - i felt the first shudder/hesitation (in 6th gear) about 2 miles prior, and then a firm hesitation just before it blew. I heard a loud metal clunk, and the whole vehicle shook. I've never seen so much smoke! I thought I was...
  19. K

PTU Problems

I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum. The PTU exploded (literally) while travelling on the highway at 65 mph. Ford fixed the PTU, but now the vehicle shudders in 6th gear at about 65 mph under load. I've had it back to the dealer 10 times now. They still cannot identify the issue. It did this...
Back