Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

DIY How to install a Remote Start Alarm Keyless entry System on a Explorer 1992

On the 91, the starter wire is pink instead of red/light blue like the 92. That is pretty much the only difference I've found, other than the missing neutral safety wire... Here is the diagram I used: http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiring/1991-/Ford/Explorer/520.html The neutral safety...
  2. S

DIY How to install a Remote Start Alarm Keyless entry System on a Explorer 1992

Awesome write up! Just finished up my install today! The only issue I had was that the wires are color coded different in the 91 explorers and the wiring diagram I had didn't show which color the neutral safety wire was. There aren't any red/light blue wires in the ignition harness on the 91...
  3. S

how to test 4x4 switch

Perfect. Exactly what I needed. Thanks!!!!
  4. S

how to test 4x4 switch

I've read the 4x4 troubleshooting sticky and plenty of others on this topic (my 4x4 not working) and I still have a question. I've verified that my 4x4 module is working (the sticky was very helpful here!) and now I want to test the switch on the dash before I replace it, or rebuild the...
  5. S

fuel filter replacement issue

So far bolt cutters are sounding like the best option...
  6. S

The most clearance I can get (after prying) between the fitting and the filter casing is about 1/8". The little blue tool that I have (picture 2) is probably about 3/4". I can't see any way I can fit any sort of tool in that space.
  7. S

Well I'm in the middle of replacing my fuel filter, but the old one is giving me trouble. The problem is that I believe the old one may not be the correct fuel filter, because the length of the inlet and outlet are too short. This makes it impossible to insert the quick disconnect tool because...
  8. S

3rd/4th gen stock wheels on a 1st gen? anyone running them?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I ended up buying some cragar soft 8's instead. It ended up being cheaper and I knew they would fit.
  9. S

anyone? haha... all replies are much appreciated!
  10. S

Is anyone running 3rd or 4th gen stock wheels on a 1st gen explorer? I think they're all the same bolt pattern (5x4.5) and I know the backspacing and offset are different. I'm interested in getting a set for my '91. Any thoughts??? Pictures if they're out there? Thanks in advance!
  11. S

totalled my explorer... (w/pics)

a trail rig would be awesome.. but ive only got a year before i leave for college... so id need to have something that i can drive on a daily basis.. on pavement that is.. haha. i think i might save a little more money and get a 2nd gen with an sohc and wait til im outa college to build my dream...
  12. S

totalled my explorer... (w/pics)

so i totalled my 94 explorer when this lady pulled out in front of me.. driving a 98 explorer none the less.. lol.. her insurance is writing me a check for $3450.. so i guess ill be going car shopping... possibly a newer explorer in my future?!?! who knows! here's some pics...
  13. S

Body lifts exposing the frame

I wasn't too fond of the frame that was exposed on my explorer for a long time after I put on the 3" body lift. Then I went to walmart and bought 4 cans of the $0.99 black spray paint and had at it. It blends in and looks a lot better!
  14. S

purchasing alignment cams?

www.summitracing.com
  15. S

Hiding amps....Were would you put them?

I made a custom storage/tool box in the rear. It's about 6" high. I think you said you carry a lot of tools around? I put all my tow ropes, flashlights, first aid, etc. in one compartment and my amp, crossover, etc. in the other. Then I just set the rest of my stuff on top of that whether it be...
  16. S

painting stock wheels

I was going to do that too. Instead I spent $130 on new Crager soft 8's and sold my old rims.
  17. S

Low profile roof light bar?

What I did for awhile was just mount my lights on the factory roof rack crossmember. It's not the best because the lights are a little too far back, but I've seen lots of people do that with explorers. I have a roof basket now that I put them on.
  18. S

Air Intake....3" BL?

The body lift kit should come with fan shrowd drop brackets. They will lower the fan shrowd so that the stock air intake tube (maf to tb) will not be an issue.
  19. S

Front Skid plate ideas?

Sorry to bring up an ANcient thread but i was searchin and found this. I'm finally getting started on the front tube bumper I'm building to match my rear bumper and my roof rack. The skid plate I made in school will be added on as well. Just thought I'd update and let PVsurf know more is to...
  20. S

What underdrive pulleys can I use?!

I'm pretty sure I've seen them for the 5.0 Explorers... check www.summitracing.com
  21. S

Question on lifts

I have 31"s with 3.73 gears. It's not too bad. According to 4-wheeler magazine 3.73:1 gears is what is reccommended for 31" tires. I'd actually like 4.10's now, but I'm gettin 33"s here soon so I'll be swapping in 4.56 gears anyways. It depends on what your doing with it. Do you have an auto or...
  22. S

superrunner steering

Is the 4 wheel drive swingset the same as the 2wd shown? Same concept I'd guess?
  23. S

4.0 power...engine mods...swaps? suspension plans...

I believe the stock power rating for the first generation explorers (4.0 L OHV 245 CI ) was 160 hp and 230 ft/lbs torque. That's if I can remember right.
  24. S

sport vs 4dr

You can fit a lot more gear in a 4 door though. I do a lot of hauling stuff whether it be my band's equiptment, or camping/fishing stuff, it's got a lot of room. I don't think I could give that up.
Back