Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Surprising "Excessive" *FRONT* Tire Wear - Evenly Worn, Just Losing Tread Fast..?

This might explain it. Just because it might have great tire wear specs, sometimes they LIE. https://motorhungry.com/goodyear-wrangler-authority-problems/
  2. G

Is 1995 Explorer one of a kind

OK!!! Piece of cake, or how to clear out the shop. Only 2 thing will set off gasoline as you know. So, no open flame or sparks especially down wind. During this process, a lot of gasoline fumes will be created! I have done this with gasoline streaming down my arms. now for the good part. Get...
  3. G

Is 1995 Explorer one of a kind

Are these fuel tanks plastic or steel? I've done steel tanks since '72, in car.
  4. G

Cam technology

"Old cam grinds", how about a Duntov 30-30 with the lash tightened up? Hot lash w/ the engine running! You just haven't lived long enough....:popcorn:
  5. G

Is this rod knock?

Pull the dip stick and dab some of the oil on a colored paper towel. Dilute with car cleaner etc. and look for sparkles or metal particles 1st. If metal particles are found, then it's the engine.
  6. G

Roaring - what to look for?

Worn tires can drive a person CRAZY with noise. Some are designed to make more noise as they wear so you will replace them.
  7. G

4th Gen 32v Swap

Check out the specs on Ford's monster 7.3L. They fit the 4.6 bays.
  8. G

Intermittent long crank to start 2008 4.0L

How about fuel injection vapor lock. If it is a return-less FI system, then the crappy fuel is boiling from hot-soak. Like Fix4Dirt said, primer.
  9. G

Another retread thread

I used to sell a ton of "re-pops". All of the big rigs replace all their tires with retreads (IIRC Bandag was the best) except on the steer axle. Make sure to get matched pairs!! Sometimes vehicles get squirrelly because sidewall flex differences. Funny on the air pressure though. I found the...
  10. G

5.0 swap

You'll spit your pistons out......:snicker:
  11. G

5.0 swap

This reminds me of a time turning wrenches in an Italian car dealership way back when. I had a built up 360 Duster he had a black newish Ford P.U. After looking my car over after work one evening, we went over to see his Pick-Up (yea right). When he opened the bonnet of that black shinny PU...
  12. G

Cruise control works, but not ideally.

Does that system have VSS? Had some of those problems on a Mustang..
  13. G

Aftermarket wheel reliability

Here is a little chart that will help understand why the torque differences. Lots of bolts are now torque and stretch via stretch gauge (rod bolts) or torque + degrees of turn and many more. Lubing the threads and shoulders lowers the friction of the joint and stretches the bolt. I assumed...
  14. G

Aftermarket wheel reliability

It kind of looks like some one pulled it that all the way to torque with an impact, on the ground 1 stud at a time. I would recommend grease or anti-seize at least on the shoulders of the lug nuts as well as the shoulders of the alloy wheels.
  15. G

Door unlocks automatically issue ****solved****

I've chased EMI/RFI problems before! It happened to Bosch EFI systems. Cars towed in for no start/ died. Hop in it fires right up, do all the tests, no problem found and we send 'em on their merry way, only to have it come back the next day! It was traced down to AM radio stations and...
  16. G

Major plug wire corrosion at coil.

That is the spark arcing away the metal the was once there. You found a miss! GM HEIs grew lots of that fluff.
  17. G

Advice on dealing with a dealer?

While it is very old indeed, a stripped lug is common (I used to own 12 tire stores). Hopefully someone in the future will have the same problem, so here goes. With all the salts used on the roads as all you Northerners know, everything is eaten alive. Add electrolysis from the 2 different...
  18. G

More REAR brakes vs Front breaks???

I've seen that on replacement M/Cs. The pin that actuates the master can be too long.(wrong master cylinder) When it is too long the rears are actuated 1st or always applied. To prevent this head ache, I always stick a Phillips screwdriver into the hole of the master and compare it to the old...
  19. G

2015 Sport won't start below 40 Degrees

This sounds like a bad ground to a relay. What is the resting battery voltage before you have jump or start the vehicle?
  20. G

2015 Sport won't start below 40 Degrees

I've had similar problems w/ customer cars. Terminals "cleaned" usually with one of those battery terminal brush cleaner brushes. The first step was to clean the 2 terminals with a scraper or knife, until oxide layer is cleaned off and one has shiny lead on both the terminals and posts. Fords...
  21. G

Explorer gets bouncy/kinda like floating above 80mph

Just add some shackles!! https://pics.imcdb.org/12851/snap370.1.jpg
  22. G

If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+)

Sound like "Grand Ma's Grocery List" syndrome. (what it was called internally) There becomes a mind set between service and customer and no one wins! I learned a valuable lesson on a 1972 new Jeep CJ5 owned by a guy named Milt Robbinson. I like the rest of the mechs, were cussing his list. My...
  23. G

If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+)

1963 427 Galaxie, 1970 Maverick w/Cobra suspension from a Mustang, 1991 Explorer 4X4, 1992 Mustang GT, 2000 Expy 4X4, 2003 Expy 4X4 2008 Ford Edge. What is a Jeep?
  24. G

Auto hub questions (Added Pics of internals)

I always had to back-up to make sure they dis-engage. They will click on un-lock.
  25. G

Another startup squeal thread

Tell her it is a 6-71 supercharger making the noise and turn up the radio. All kidding aside, I have a bar of old dried up Yellow Dial soap. One would not believe the belt marks,years of use, quietened belts but, most importantly a HAPPY CUSTOMERs! No charge!
Back