Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. JohnnyO

What’s everyone doing for lowering kits? 2010 sport trac

There used to be a guy on the ST boards, he lowered his with custom made springs and used F-150 front struts which I guess are a little shorter. As mentioned, you can only go so low because of the rear halfshafts going through the frame.
  2. JohnnyO

Upgrading tires to 265/75-16 any pointers?

265's are kinda wide to use with the stock rim and the fronts will be VERY close to the upper control arm and ball joint unless you use spacers. Also that's about a 32" tire and you may need to get the Truxxx strut spacer lift.
  3. JohnnyO

Largest 17" tire size capability for 07 sporttrac

265/70-17 if you get the Truxxx lift and (assuming you are keeping the stock wheels) 1.5" wheel spacers. I had the Truxxx lift and we put a 265/70 on at the tire shop but the inner sidewall was VERY close to the upper control arm and ball joint so I went with 245/70's. I am not a fan of...
  4. JohnnyO

Sport Trac camper shell fit.

Nope. 01-05 and 07-10 are different.
  5. JohnnyO

Sport Trac Adrenalin

The Adrenalin was an appearance and stereo package. Adrenalins can be V6 or V8, 4x2 or 4x4. The only real mechanical difference is that there are no 4-Hi and 4-Low buttons on the dash on 4x4 models because Ford didn't want people to be temped to go off-roading with the big wheels and street...
  6. JohnnyO

2007 st tpms

I got 4 new ones at NAPA when I got new tires. At that point the warning light was on almost all the time. Still ended up taking it to the Ford dealer to reprogram but they did it for free. The light still comes on once in a while but not as often. I put a piece of black electrical tape over...
  7. JohnnyO

front and rear differential fluid

Yes, both should be synthetic also. The front will have to be done by a shop or qwicky-lube with a suction machine (I go to Valvoline), on an '07-up the rear has a drain plug and is not hard to do yourself if you have a suction gun to fill it and take the spare tire out. There is a hole in the...
  8. JohnnyO

Mobil 1 - Oil Change

I just got a deal here in the US at AutoZone for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for $29.99. Normally I use Pennzoil Platinum but that was too good a deal to pass up.
  9. JohnnyO

08 ST undercarriage rattle

Agree, most likely it is a heat shield on the cats or muffler.
  10. JohnnyO

08 st 4.0 cai

Another satisfied customer. Should have asked us first. On a Gen 1 Trac you can pick up a little by removing the airbox silencer but on Gen 2's it's not really an issue. I've owned both. Again, the stock intake is already a cold air. Unless you need it to look zoomy underhood, there is...
  11. JohnnyO

4UCam backup camera installed

I've installed four backup cameras on my Trac over the years, the sort that bolt on to your license plate, but none of them lasted longer than a year in the wet weather here.
  12. JohnnyO

2007 sportrac towing

http://www.remcodsc.com/driveShaft.php
  13. JohnnyO

4x4 tow kit

Assuming you have the front wheels on the tow dolly, yes.
  14. JohnnyO

Exhaust for 2007 V6

I've had a Gibson on my Trac since it was almost new. Makes the V6 sound pretty good, it's a little on the loud side, the wife hates it so that means it's about right.
  15. JohnnyO

Mobil 1 - Oil Change

If you want to run the oil longer you should use a better-than-stock filter. Mobil 1, K&N, or Purolator's new synthetic filter. I went that route for a while but I wasn't really saving much since I was buying a $14 filter instead of a $4 Motorcraft and over 10,000 miles I'd have to add two...
  16. JohnnyO

Front End Noise on New England Roads

Ball joints. They go bad a lot. The wheel won't necessarily wiggle when you shake it. Get the front wheel bearings checked too although they typically make noise all the time and not just on bumps. I got my Trac new and I've never had a front hub and bearing assembly last longer than a year...
  17. JohnnyO

2007 sportrac towing

Basically no. When you tow a 2wd automatic in neutral the tranny fluid isn't being circulated and the rear bearing in the tranny will burn up in short order. In a 4wd with the NTK installed (if you can find one) the t-case is in neutral and you can leave the tranny in Park. I did see a...
  18. JohnnyO

Which One Of You Was Hauling Chickens And Ammo?

I mean, at least get a Sport Trac if you're going to haul chickens in the back. 30 to 40 chickens that I assume were loose in the back, plus a dog, gee I don't know what would cause someone to wreck.
  19. JohnnyO

Which One Of You Was Hauling Chickens And Ammo?

A little ways south of me in WV. http://www.wowktv.com/story/26344732/interstate-79-closed-chickens-and-ammo-to-blame
  20. JohnnyO

Hitting animals

Just got the wife's minivan back from the bodyshop yesterday. Crunched the left front corner. Initial estimate was $3200, there ended up being an additional $3100 worth of work needed. My take is that the animal is usually the softest thing you will hit, i.e. swerve to miss the deer and you...
  21. JohnnyO

Tent Camping Idea

That's the other thing. Any tent that is the size of the bed ain't gonna fit JohnnyO. Be getting woke up in the night by a bear licking my feet, which would be a bad thing.
  22. JohnnyO

Tent Camping Idea

Thing with bolting something up to the bed hooks is that I don't know if they could handle the weight of one or two people sleeping on them. Also you wouldn't have easy access to the bed when the tent is up. I think hooking something up to the roof rack with plywood and U-bolts would spread...
  23. JohnnyO

License Plate Lights

They could just be burned out. :p: As I recall I had to replace the whole cap and lens.
  24. JohnnyO

100,000 miles!

The local garage that I use for state inspections and other stuff I can't do myself charges $129 to flush a tranny. :D
  25. JohnnyO

100,000 miles!

Must not go too far in the meantime. We've driven mine non-stop to Florida every year since it was new except last year (used the wife's new minivan) and took the Auto Train home. When I went to the last ST Meet in Louisville in 2010 that was in the middle of a period when I put 5000 miles on...
Back