Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

dreaded po741 trans converter lockup code SOLVED!

Need more information. Engine type. Miles. Year. Age of transmission fluid and filter?? Simple Problems That Trigger the P0741 Code Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sending Sensor Make sure your thermostat and temperature sending unit are good. These are different from the unit that sends...
  2. G

2007 4.6 timing chain quote$ i got

The crank sensor isn't that hard to get to. I'd change it first before I'd do anything with the camshaft. It is located on the outside front of the engine at about the 8 o'clock position on the side of the harmonic balancer. I'd look into replacing that first. If the engine can't tell what the...
  3. G

Mystery Coolant Leak 4.0 SOHC - Any Ideas?

I've had a siiliar issue and found I needed to replace my pinch clamp hose clamps with full metal screw tight belt clamps. Fluid was leaking around the hose fittings but with the engine heat the evidence evaporated away.
  4. G

ABS light frustration

About the airbag light... All air bags are required to be inspected every ten years. Many systems will turn this on the light when this inspection is required.
  5. G

ABS light frustration

First Thought: I purchased a code scanner from Harbor Freight for less than the cost of your dealer scan. It reads brakes and transmission codes. Most auto parts stores will read you codes for free. You may have to look for one with a better code reader. Second: I've fixed several ABS light...
  6. G

2003 - Car RPM drop when coming to a stop, and engine almost cuts out

That sound like an indication of a low vacuum. When you back off the throttle the vacuum drops. If it is operating with too low a vacuum to start you will get the symptoms you are describing. With an Explorer your age, I'd replace all vacuum lines and vacuum hose clamps. They start to leak...
  7. G

4.0 SOHC Front oil seal

Ford lists a special tool for this that appears to have a lip on it in my engine manual. Ford tool number 303-102 with a 303-093.
  8. G

TDC using OTC-6488

You can rent these tool sets from O'Rielly's for free. You buy it and can get a full refund as long as it is returned with in 48 hours. Grab one and check it against the one you have. Let us know how it checks out.
  9. G

Bad misfire at idle...

I didn't believe it either. I just tried it out of desperation and it worked.
  10. G

I need help and dont know where to find it

Did you notice which if any of the fuses were blown?? Which wire was the one that touched and shorted? What was its color or purpose? There may be a fusable link in a circuit that burnt out.
  11. G

Rough idle on my 2008 Ford Explorer XLT

Miss at idle. Probably low vacuum. Vacuum comes up with idle engined smoothes out. I replaced all those old pinch clamps with full wrap around screw down clamps and gained 2 inches of vacuum at idle. Replace any old dry rotting vacuum lines while your at it. Let use know how it goes.
  12. G

Bad misfire at idle...

Single cylinder. #5
  13. G

Bad misfire at idle...

Had a similar issue for over a year a couple of years ago. Pesky miss only at idle. Finally pulled the throttle body and gave it a good cleaning making sure I got into everyone of those tiny little passages. After it dried for the night I installed it and it has never come back.
  14. G

Stupid stupid little bolt

I was cussin at this same bolt last weekend. You'll need a 4" + 2" extension and a wobble head behind the Torx head socket. I leaned on the left fender and reached my hand back into the space until I found the bolt with the small finger on my left hand. Tight as s(&*^t and there is a ridge of...
  15. G

265/70R16 tyres on 2002 Ford no lifting?

Don't buy 4 year old tires unless you are only expecting to use them for 3 to 4 years and you can get them at about half retail. All tires have a life expectancy of 8 years. This is for safety due to the aging of the rubber. Rubber ages (experiences a gradual chemical change) and the side walls...
  16. G

Engine Rattle (Lessened after oil change)

For the money and time you are going to spend, I'd get a rebuilt engine from a good re-builder. it would be about $2800 including delivery to your residence. or try to find an engine that you can hear run at a junk yard within driving distance. One of those will be between $1000 and $1500 plus...
  17. G

2003 Eddie Bauer (81K) 6 cyl 4x4

Who rebuilt it? I'd take it back for a warrenty repair.
  18. G

04 explorer No Crank

I haven't noticed that with my bad key. Take your title to the Dealer and see if they can check your current key and or make another key for you.
  19. G

Engine Rattle (Lessened after oil change)

Timing the engine isn't too hard. It does require a timing kit you can rent from O'Rielly's. Only thing is you have to pull the engine to reach the rear two chains. At 182,000 I'd look into replacing the timing chains, sprockets, guilds and tensioners. There are a couple of oil ports that work...
  20. G

04 explorer No Crank

I had an issue similiar to your's but it was with a key that was bad. One would crank the engine the other only moves in the key cyclinder. Try different keys.
  21. G

Changing from 4.0 L V6 to 4.6 L V8 is it possible?

I think the mount need to be change to move to the 4.6 engine.
  22. G

The engine is complete. I don't think the steering needs to be changed. I'll need to take another look at the 4.6 donor vehicle to see if that engine will interfere with my 4.0 steering.
  23. G

Exhaust blockage / Cat failure

I've run into that issue before and it wasn't the cat or an exhaust issue. Failure of the Mass Airflow Sensor or a leak after it will give those same symptoms. I learned this when I left mine not completely connected.
  24. G

Just got my hands on a mechanics special 04 Explorer 2WD. The body and exterior are great but the "K" series engine is blown. I can get either an "E" series 4.0 L from an 03 or a 4.6 from another 04 4WD. Would the 4.6 work and what extras will I need to pull across? Thanks for the help! Gill
Back