Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Engine - rear oil leak

I know this an old thread but it come up high when I was searching for information related to this so an update might be useful. The first one looks like FEL-PRO BS40647 Rear Main Seal Set, Rear; Type: Rear Main Seal Set; PTFE Rubber; One-piece The second one looks like FEL-PRO BS40619...
  2. A

Wanted WTB: New rear jackshaft bolt for 4.0L SOHC

I expect you've solved this by now. But for anyone else ending up here with a similar question, I use rockauto mostly, their international shipping costs are pretty reasonable. As for that bolt, it's out of stock when I checked just now...
  3. A

Solved SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs

Thanks StreetRod. And huge thank you to you for all your other invaluable posts. So much excellent information and pics in them.
  4. A

Sealed Power timing chain kits vs Cloyes or OEM Ford quality?

I forgot to say in my previous post, I asked Federal Mogul if they were original equipment suppliers for the 4.0L motors. The reply said "We were not the O.E. supplier" I don't know if that means FM weren't or Sealed Power weren't or both. Ha, no kidding. I've spent hours just trying to find...
  5. A

Air inlet hose fix?

Yeah, Ford-Parts is not so helpful with exact part numbers. For reference, the correct part number for the expensive version with T-connector is 97JZ-9P904-AG ... I think. Other online places have it for $150+ ... Tasca (has an actual photo), Gaudin, etc. The cheap hose without the...
  6. A

Zip-tied tube under 4.0 SOHC upper intake - What purpose does this serve?

Did anyone ever figure out what the point of this tube is in a way that makes it undesirable to remove altogether? I've just had that T-connector repaired in the same way as described in the cheap easy hose fix thread here ... Air inlet hose fix? Truck seems to run fine without the extra tube...
  7. A

I sent an email to Federal Mogul and received a reply saying that the Sealed Power kits I was asking about (KT4035S and KT4056S) are "mostly made in the US by Cloyes". I don't know how "mostly".
  8. A

Timing chain

Yeah I think that would be $400-$500 at the mechanic I use. Or pull the motor to replace the RH timing chain cassette and I'm looking at $2000-$2500 for labour.
  9. A

I don't remember now how I got the idea the SOHC engine initially used OHV tensioners. Probably because I'm looking at pictures and part numbers online at present, not real tensioners. I've discovered that pictures online often don't match the real thing. I'm still interested in trying to...
  10. A

High milage explorers?

1998 XLT 4WD 4.0 SOHC with about 270,000 km (170,000 miles). All done by me, bought it new. Mostly ok. A/c was weak then nothing so everything got replaced in 2015, since then 3 new compressors in 2 years. Now the timing chains, which have been noisy for a while. If any admins or moderators...
  11. A

Timing chain

$3000? This is a good place to start reading ... SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair
  12. A

I have a headache trying to figure out the part numbers for the tensioners. After several hours of searching, and a visit to the local Ford dealer, here's what I am scratching my head about. The correct part number for the revised (longer) LH front tensioner is 7U3Z-6K254-B. This one I think...
  13. A

Found this in the timing chain part numbers thread and figured it might be worth its own thread title ... I'm interested in this too. I searched the forum, and a few others, for comments about quality and reliability of Sealed Power and other brands of timing chain and tensioner kits. Partly...
Back