Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

OEM spark plug and belt part numbers ?

Time to replace the plugs and belt on my 2013 PIU. 3.7 NA, 102k miles. What are the optimal plugs (or original OEM)? Also, what is the Motorcraft OEM belt part number? Thanks, Rattlecan
  2. R

Tire Sizes compatible with PIU wheels

Peter, what is the reason to not exceed 3% of the OEM diameter? Is that state in Ford literature somewhere, or have users had issues or equipment failures due to this? thanks
  3. R

Cooper Discoverer M+S on my 2013 PIU?

I ordered these a week before Christmas, had them installed before New Years day. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-DISCOVERER-M-S-255-55R18-109S-Tire/836552578 My '13 PIU and these tires are outstanding on snow, compact snow/ice, black ice, and slush. I've been up to our local ski areas...
  4. R

Cooper Discoverer M+S on my 2013 PIU?

I'm looking for winter tires for my 2013 PIU, plan to use them 4 months per year. I have the 8x18" steel wheels that came with it. I've had these Discoverer M+S on my old Cherokee and now on my Ram 2500. They've been very good all-season tires. My Jeep never slipped or slid on snow or ice...
  5. R

Change to 20" wheels on '13 PIU?

Almost time for new tires on my 2013 PIU, and I'm considering changing from the stock 18" steel wheels Ford OEM 20" alloys. I've read on the forum that others have done this, but I'd like to make sure there's not risk of damage to the AWD system. I'll likely keep the 18" steel wheels and put...
  6. R

Looking for Can bus diagram

Well, today was a pretty good Explorer day! I removed the center console and found the RCM. I disconnect the battery and disconnected the RCM. The connectors were a bit wet. The circuit board inside the RCM sits on a foam pad that was also damp. I dried the RCM pieces overnight in house...
  7. R

My ODB2-to-USB adaptor arrived and I was able to pull codes using the FORScan program. I scanned for codes, saved to a txt file, cleared the codes, then saved the new codes: RCM B1400:28-8B Second row passenger side seatbelt sensor; Malfunction indicator lamp is on for this DTC RCM U3000:4908B...
  8. R

Expo, I believe you're correct. I'd like to have a body wiring drawing that shows where the electrical connectors are located, and their number that corresponds with the wiring diagram. That would help me pinpoint this issue, rather than just taking apart every connector on the car. This is...
  9. R

'holic, thanks for the info. Yes, unfortunately my cheapo phone app, DashCommand, only reads and displays the U codes as I listed above. I'm using a OBD2-to-WiFi adaptor. It, and DashCommand, works well for gauges and P trouble codes, but U codes and ABS codes seem to be beyond it's...
  10. R

...173, Thank you for that link. Those diagrams are exactly what I was looking for. I still could use a drawing that shows the location of the modules and electrical connectors.
  11. R

I'm pulling up some Can bus error codes from the OBDII. Specifically: U01; U04; U21; U30. These error codes seem to indicate improper voltage or shorts on the Can bus. This is a flooded vehicle, so my thought is that there may be a wiring connector or junction with water in it. Does anyone...
  12. R

PIU 2013 Project

KayGee and Kobresia, that looks like my set up as well. I don't really need the tumble feature as even if it did work I wouldn't have a true flat cargo surface from the rear hatch to the "bottom" of the tumbled mid seats. Some day, if I'm bored enough, I may look for some latches to retrofit...
  13. R

PIU 2013 Project

My PIU has a low-back middle row seat. The seat back will fold forward and will recline a bit. Each side of the seat has a pictograph showing the seat back folding forward and then the entire back and seat rotates forward (I suppose to give a longer, flat cargo area), but the seat will not...
  14. R

PIU 2013 Project

Yep. Any used car is a calculated risk, but in this case it was a really good deal. The PIU is in really good condition, very minimal body and interior damage. Flood water was below the bottom of the seats, less than 2" in the spare tire well. No water in the engine oil, differential, PTO, or...
  15. R

PIU 2013 Project

I changed the lube in the differential. I lowered the exhaust from the hangers. Spray WD40 on the rubber hangers first, then the studs slide right out. The WD40 will evaporate and not harm the rubber hangers. I used a cheap hand pump ($9 lube bottle pump from Harbor Freight) to extract the old...
  16. R

PIU 2013 Project

The blower motor was stuck, not spinning. I removed the motor, cleaned and lubricated it. It spins now but vibrates a bit. I've ordered a new one from Summit. Very easy to remove/reinstall. Remove one sheet metal screw, rotate the blower motor and it drops free.
  17. R

PIU 2013 Project

I bought this about a month ago, took that long to have it shipped to me. 2013 PIU, 62k miles. Has carpet front and middle seats area; has middle row seats, low back w/o headrests; center console w/o shifter. No push bar, rear hitch, roof rack, fog lights. This is a recovered flood vehicle from...
  18. R

Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread

Here's two quick pics of my new (to me) 2013 PIU. I'll take more if it ever stops raining! Strike that, still trying to embed pics. Ok, let's try this! Photo by Rattlecan2 Photo by Rattlecan2 I'll start a thread on this project in the PIU forum. Rattlecan
  19. R

Q's on 2013 PIU

So...what happens if you violate the 3% rule? Does the Advance Trac stop working or throw an error code? Your odometer/speedometer become inaccurate? Does the AWD system stop working correctly? thanks, Rattlecan
  20. R

Using vehicle recovery hook

I have the recovery hook for my 2013 Explorer PIU. It's a heavy-duty I-bolt, 16mm thread. I believe it goes thru the front bumper facia to a nut or threaded insert. I have a small circle in the facia, below the passenger headlight. Is this the correct spot for the recovery hook? Does this mall...
  21. R

Q's on 2013 PIU

I'm looking at a 2013 PIU to purchase, but I can't go see it yet. This is a "Chiefs" or "Detective" model with the typical front center console, civilian type but has the shifter on the dashboard and cloth middle row seat. Does the PIU have the same TMS switch as the civilian Explorers? Where...
Back