Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

My new (old) 2004 XLT won't start.

This video demonstrates what I was referring to by holding the key next to the ignition.
  2. M

Here is a quick video I found regarding unregistered key behavior. This indicates that PATS will not crank the engine at all. I'm assuming that this behavior is present on all vehicles which share the same PATS module. That key he is using is the same as what I've got. Edit: I have not...
  3. M

Just to be clear on the situation. This is what I'm interpreting. You started off with one key which worked fine, truck ran, everybody was happy. Car battery died. You replaced the car battery but you encountered a no crank/no start situation (All electronics worked, but no start). With the...
  4. M

If you don't have access to a scan tool for programming, a tow to a dealer (you will want to call them first, dealer's around me said they don't program for 2002's any longer because it was too old [which I found odd, easy money, and this was almost 3 years ago]) or having a locksmith come out...
  5. M

cold weather start, or lack of

Unless it was a knock off in a motorcraft box. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5HHO0
  6. M

Help with Remote Start Install

I installed an Omega, extended range, 2way remote. It is awesome. Doesn't take too long to install. I wish I still had the wiring diagram, I'm sure you can find it around here. Expect to open up the console. Here is what I got: Omega R&D® - Deluxe Color 2-Way Vehicle Security and Remote...
  7. M

This is what the Haynes manual says. No pictures were present for V8, only V6. Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor (V8 Model): The CHT sensor is located in the valley between the cylinder heads (it's actually mounted on the left head) Remove the alternator disconnect the electrical...
  8. M

Starting problem

Yeah.. Good call. I'll be sure to do that too. I'm thinking that my primary jackshaft or balancer guide has gone. For the past couple years when rpms are above 2500, I hear some noise. It's not really a rattling sound. It almost sounds like air pressure releasing intermittently at a high...
  9. M

I've got the 4.0 which uses a ECT mounted in the thermostat housing. I think the 4.6 has what's called a CHT (cyclinder head temp) sensor which is threaded in. Unlike the 4.0 which is just pressed in to the termo housing held on by a clip. I'm not 100% sure where yours would be located. I...
  10. M

I initially thought mine was IAC. Spent around $35 on amazon for a motocraft replacement. Didn't fix the issue. That was around march of last year. I dealt with it since. Only recently have I started chasing the gremlin again. Truck ran perfect all day today. No issues since the wiggle...
  11. M

2002 Frod Explorer XLT 4x4

The vents are actuated via vacuum lines. First thing I would do is check for vacuum leak.
  12. M

What is that noise, when turning to the right?

I second the wheel bearing. Mine was going out on the passenger side. It made a howling sound and make the most prominent noise when turning. One way to test is to jack up the truck, try moving the wheel while it's still mounted to the hub. It may wiggle a bit (have a little play. it should...
  13. M

When you programmed the key, did you do it with two working keys? That's the only way to program it yourself without having a scan tool which can access PATS. Unless the process was changed in 2004. I've got a 2002. I have only used a scan tool to program mine (I also had a shop program one...
  14. M

Starting problem

Still unable to recreate my stall issue/rough idle issue. I've concluded that it's a bad ECT sensor.
  15. M

You will only have an IAC if it's a 2002 or 2003. They switched to electronic throttle in 2004.
  16. M

I have some similar issues. I'm still in the process of troubleshooting. But here are some things to inspect. IAC (idle air control). Intake gaskets: From reading on the forum, It's possible that there is a vacuum leak when cold (gasket shrinks a bit). Once warmed up they expand and seal...
  17. M

2004 Explorer Remote Start

Without the fob, I doubt it. I installed a remote start on my '02 XLT. I only had one key at the time. Fortunately I found a shop nearby which only charged $25 for programming. I called around to a bunch of lock smiths, they all wanted $150+. I've since purchased a scan tool which can...
  18. M

Starting problem

Quick update: I was able to get out of the house and run some diagnostics. No luck reproducing my stall/hard start issue. I hooked up the maxisys and grabbed live data for MAF, TPS, ETC. All of them looked good. I did three tests throughout the day to try to replicate what I've experienced...
  19. M

Starting problem

I've been a long time lurker, jumped on to say I'm having this exact same issue. The symptoms are very similar. For reference, I've got a 2002 XLT 4.0L 4x4 with 137k miles on her. FYI: no codes thrown at any point. Cold start would either stall or run rough, around 300 rpm just like you...
Back