Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Correct set of wheel Bearings?

So I just got done with the wheel bearing job. Super easy by the way. I was expecting a lot more issues. Thank you for everyone who commented on this post to help me. I followed everything exactly but I noticed as I was tightening the outer spindle the inner one would move a little until the...
  2. A

Got it. Any idea which spindle socket i need? I'm having trouble figuring out if it's the 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 4 prong one..
  3. A

@RangerX I read your comment on a post that was made a few years ago about the torques. I believe you said 35 foot pounds on the inner nut, back off 1/4th, tighten 16 inch pounds. Put on washer and tighten outer nut to 150 foot pounds. But I've read some people like to tighten it up to 250 foot...
  4. A

Excellent link! Thank you @RangerX sadly it doesn't seem like some of the links that would be handy for me work.. Yes, I do have manual hubs which means I don't have that locking key? That's great news! So all I should need is the spindle nut socket? 2 3/8 inch if I am correct. I figured there...
  5. A

@damasodeljr Ah, yeah that makes a lot more sense lol. I have one of those telescope magnetic pick up tool things and I am hoping that will be strong enough. Don't have any pocket flats
  6. A

@blue m&m I just check it out is pretty much horizontal. @damasodeljr thats the only part I am somewhat worried about is that magnetic part. Thank you for the tips. I actually replaced my calipers and brake pads a few months ago so I'm good on that.
  7. A

No, not lifted.. How is it suppose to look?
  8. A

Man I am really confused by this now lol. So I just snapped a pic for you. To my knowledge I should be able to change out the bearings pretty easily without slicing anything. I am definitely not a machanic and only work on my own vehicles but maybe there is something I am missing. Dirty I know.
  9. A

Solid in the rear independent in the front. I'm not sure about the solid axle but the front independent axle bearings aren't sealed in the way I believe you are talking about. You have to pack it and seal it up yourself. The bearings come to you like this: I'll be following Glacier's guide...
  10. A

Yeah seals are on my list also (Timken 4250). Im not to worried about getting the seals in correctly. Mainly just getting the spindle back on correctly. I know about the 20foot/20inch torque rule but I always second guess myself in situations like that. Also, do you guys just use standard wheel...
  11. A

Thank you for your reply! I've looked up the National's and the specs do match. So I'll be ordering the Timken's. I know there is a well written guide on here for replacing the bearings but I am curious if you had any tips, tricks or solutions for and problems you ran into.
  12. A

I'm going to be switching out my front wheel bearings. Both inner and outer on both tires. I want to get Timken's and as far as I can tell, mainly gathering my information from rock auto, Timken's set 37 is what I need all around for my 92 sport 4x4 with manual hubs. Can anyone else confirm...
  13. A

Easiest way to replace the speaker wires going to the doors?

Did some searching couldnt find anything. Installing a new head unit, aftermarket amp, speakers and speaker wire. Only two issues i am running into and one of them is figuring out how to properly run new speaker wire to both the doors. Ideally id like to run it through the door grommets but it...
  14. A

Just bought a remanufactured steering gearbox. I think it might be defective but want to make sure.

It had some fluid inside of it from testing i am guessing but yeah i only turned it around a handful of times as i was worried about wear also. Good to hear that its normal and a sign of a correctly remanufactured gearbox. Thank you for the speedy reply BKennedy.
  15. A

Just bought a remanufactured steering gearbox. I think it might be defective but want to make sure.

I got a ACDelco 36g0031 gearbox today and I was checking it out and noticed when turning the input shaft it's pretty stiff around the center and loser when I go about half a turn clockwise or counter clockwise. I've never changed one before and wanted to make sure that's normal before I switch...
  16. A

No crank issue

I am arcing from the fender solenoid.
  17. A

No crank issue

I'm going to check this out after work. I have a manual transmission and from what I gathered my neutral safety switch is on my clutch. I followed a guide on this forum to bypass it to rule it out as the problem. Which I believe was splicing the pink and red wire you are talking about together...
  18. A

No crank issue

Excuse my ignorance but if i am still able to arc the fender solenoid to start the car multiple times and counting wouldnt that kind of rule out a harness issue? My assumption is that if i am able to still start it by arcing then the starter and wires going to it should be good. Thats why i...
  19. A

No crank issue

I will definitely check that out tomorrow after work. That also reminds me actually. About two months ago I went to start my car and I would hear a loud click then I would lose power completely for about five minutes. I think just opening and closing my door got the power to go back on. Then it...
  20. A

No crank issue

Anyone have any ideas? I have my nutrual safety switch bypassed. Battery reads at 12.6. I can arc the relay solenoid and it starts right up. Not getting any clicks when trying to crank. Lights don't dim. Getting proper volts to the solenoid. Only thing that seems iffy is the little red wire that...
  21. A

No crank issue

92 explorer sport. Have power to everything and battery volts are good but when I try to start the engine I am getting nothing no sounds or cranking. Figured it was my starter relay solenoid. Arked it and it started. Went to the auto parts store got a new one and the same thing happened when I...
  22. A

Altered e brake tention limiter

I'm hoping someone can explain to me why the area where the tension limiter is on the e brake cable was altered, what it is suppose to look like, what parts I would be needing to restore it and if this would be why my e brake doesnt automatically adjust while pressing down the e brake after a...
  23. A

Loud squeaking/squealing from drums

I went and bought some of this stuff along with new shoes and drums for the hell of it. Wasn't expensive. Anyways the brake grease I put on there before was pretty much nonexistent. New grease, shoes and drums and everything is quiet, smooth and brakes so much better. Thank you for the...
  24. A

Loud squeaking/squealing from drums

Hey, I am getting a very loud squeaking/squealing from the rear end. From what i can tell its coming from the drums. Im not sure why though. It happens most often not when i press the brakes but when i accelerate from a stop. Although i do get some squeaking when applying the brakes also. After...
  25. A

Questiona about changing axle gear and driven gear after getting bigger tires

Yeah im not sure how much mpg i am getting now but with the stock tires i was getting around 320 a tank with mixed highway and city driving. I called Les Schwab and they said since i havent had the tires for long they would change it out to stock size for free. I might end up doing that. I took...
Back