Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Engine Rattle On Start Up

I’ve read all about that TSB but oddly it doesn’t apply to the 2013+ Ford Explorer Sport, the Ford Flex’s with the same motor or the Ford Taurus SHOs with the same motor.
  2. B

I’ve got the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. Thx
  3. B

What I’d really like to know though is if other sport owners are experiencing the rattle noise for a few seconds on cold start ups and/or have had to replace their timing chain and/or tensioners. Perhaps it’s just a little stretch and the tensioners are just doing their job since the noise goes...
  4. B

My 2014 Sport (73,000 Miles) has a rattle when you first start it after sitting for more than a few hours. It’s worse overnight and when cold. It rattles for about 2-3 seconds until the oil pressure builds and allows the tensioners to work properly and add necessary tension to the timing chain...
  5. B

3.5L EcoBoost Turbo Oil Leak

72K on my 2014 Sport with no oil leaks.
  6. B

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Question-does the Explorer Sport’s 3.5L ecoboost have the same water pump design? Anything different about it? I’ve got 70K miles and would like to keep it for another 30-40k.
  7. B

Split Armrest Issue

So I finally decided I'd get my separated drivers side armrest repaired at a local reputable Auto upholstery shop here in Central Ohio. You know what he said? "We see tons of late model explorers with this issue. We don't recommend repairing a split door arm rest because of where and how it's...
  8. B

Sorry- ever did see your note. contis are fine. They definitely perform well thus far and wear...

Sorry- ever did see your note. contis are fine. They definitely perform well thus far and wear evenly when rotated properly (which I'm doing.). I would, however, say road noise is louder than when brand new. Not objectionable but they are a little louder than I'd like. Hankooks were not as loud...
  9. B

Brakes "Clunk"

Black mounty- what did this end up being? I'm getting a similar clunk when braking at low speed. Thx
  10. B

Interior Door panel issue / separation

Sure does seem like 2014 models. My driver's door is separating at the armrest. I asked the dealer to see if they could get Ford to fix it. No go. Quoted something like $350 to have it replaced. Kinda burns me. They advised me to call Ford Customer Care to see if Ford will pay for it.
  11. B

Front end noise...Tires? Bearings? ??

Update: passenger front wheel bearings was replaced two days ago and I'm happy to report the sound/vibration I was feeling is now gone. Truck feels smooth again. COver d under the powertrain warranty.
  12. B

You described exactly what I'm experiencing on my 2014 EX Sport. Same side even! My truck goes in this week for a diagnosis and hopefully a fix.
  13. B

Subscribing. Experiencing the same exact symptoms. My noise started well after I had new tires installed. My first inclination was wheel bearings. The noise is very subtle though...I can feel it slightly thru the steering wheel, moreso when I'm turning. Also seems more on the passenger side...
  14. B

Sport Aftermarket Struts/shocks

If you are using lowering springs, that's why the stock strut are failing prematurely the second time. They are not designed for the ride height the lowering springs provide. I've always ran struts-shocks designed specifically to match the lowered ride height aftermarket springs often provide...
  15. B

Split Armrest Issue

Thanks Peter. I actually searched, "armrest splitting" titles and got no hits for some reason. I'm surprised and also disappointed at the same time how many people clearly have this issue with their explorer. I will just ask my dealer to see if they will arrange with Ford to fix this issue...
  16. B

Split Armrest Issue

my car is about 2.5 years old with about 45K miles, so I'm out of the warranty period. I never have any issue with paying for things that break out of the warranty period, but I am a little surprised to have the door armrest coming apart in 2 spots. When it first split this past spring, I...
  17. B

Clunky acceleration?

My 2014 sport also has an odd oscillating throttle when I first start the car. Been there since new, and goes away within the first 1 mile of driving. A little odd albeit, but we've not had any related issue with the vehicle. Others have noticed the same thing. I'd also characterize it as...
  18. B

Sport Blowing white smoke???

Probably water vapor and also depends on the air outside. Cool/hot; humid/dry; etc. probably nothing to worry about provided it's not continuing to blow excessive white smoke AND you are not low on coolant. "Excessive" is a relative term.
  19. B

2013 Explorer Sport - Front end noise that CANNOT be solved

Does the noise occur when you are braking, accelerating, going over road imperfections or "all of the above"?
  20. B

Review: Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires

We have about 42,x.. miles on our ex sport. The OEM hankooks wore well....still were not at the wear bar indicator. But I don't like messing around with tires, so we replaced them. I too had the same Contis on my Pontiac g8 gt and loved them. Really good tire IMO. I also had two sets of...
  21. B

Review: Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires

replaced my OEM hankooks with these tires about two weeks ago. I'm very happy with my purchase and recommend them to anyone wanting better wet traction. It's not even close between the two. This is the single biggest difference I have experienced between the two tires. In all other areas...
  22. B

Cold air intake box

Nice job on the modified cai. Should help pull slightly lower temp air vs the original Cai design.
  23. B

Had to get her towed to the dealer the other day

I have a 14 sport and have not had that issue. But I did have a trailer lighting fuse blow. Culprit? Spiders/spider nest in that fuse socket! Killed the little bugger too. Fortunately I fixed it at a gas station with a new fuse. I noticed te other day that there was a large spider web in the...
  24. B

2017 Ford Explorer Platinum (test drive)

I also feel that any lag you might have felt on your test drive was due to the transmission and not turbo lag. It's torque management by the PCM being employed. Other than an occasional dead spot when you stab the throttle thru low speed turns (which is very irritating and disconcerting), I...
  25. B

Anyone have their Rear Suspension Toe links replaced under recall yet?

I was notified in May of this recall bit so far I don't think parts have been available. From memory, this applies to about 75,000 2013-14 ford Explorers. Just wondering if they are finally starting to get parts in at the dealerships.
Back