Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Transmission shift issue.

I thought it could be the seperatoe plate gasket, but it is wishfull thinking...just the trans really felt so good, but probably because I drove her so gently all the time.
  2. D

I have fixed everything on this truck and it is sad to give up on it now, but the rust from 20 years of Canadian winters has done its work, I cannot justify putting much money into this old truck.. Maybe I can try to sell as a parts truck to someone. Thanks for the advice.
  3. D

From the symptoms described do you think a rebuild will be needed? if the 3rd gear band is worn out, is that considered a rebuild. Obviously this is all in theory until I get the codes.
  4. D

is it safe to drive with O/D on (to avoid the flash) for a trip to town?
  5. D

Correct it will no longer go into 4th or 5th.
  6. D

Good day, driving today andas I got on the last stretch of highway before home, the truck would not shift out of third, and the od started flashing. Previous to this, I had some odd symptoms in the winter where it would not shift until it warmed up out of 4th to 5th and then operated normally...
  7. D

Solved No start.

Just read a thread that leads me to believe it may be the VSS. The typical symptoms are opposite of what I experienced... typicall vss is no speedo at all where as mine spiked and still works?
  8. D

Solved No start.

I drive 75% highway and 25% city. Today while driving a very bumpy road in the city at about @20-25mph I experienced a weird loss of power. I was coasting both times off of the throttle and than while getting back on the the accelerator from the coast, the speedometer jumped to about 60mph...
  9. D

Solved No start.

Thanks so much for all the knowledge. My next dilemma is that I have ran regular oil for the life of the engine and recently switched to synthetic in the past 5000 miles maybe, now a Friend of mine tells me I got it ass backwards and that I shouldn't have switched? Any opinions on that? I...
  10. D

Solved No start.

So cranking the engine to build the oil pressure up before starting completely eliminates my start up rattle, which is great? The question is whether or not it actually helps or masks the problem? Does this mean my cassettes/carriers and tensioner are in good order and nothing has broken yet...
  11. D

Solved No start.

Good news, The truck hasn't experienced the surging during idle again so all is well. Hopefully my fuel economy gets even better since it was surprisingly good with the crap plugs in. Thanks again for all the help everyone. Having done so much work and maintenance on this truck and so...
  12. D

Solved No start.

All the plugs are replaced, I had compression of 120, 117.5 and 125psi on cylinders 1-2-3. Cleaned all the terminals throughly and added a touch of dielectric in the appropriate places and Wala IT STARTED!! Took it for a test drive it 5 kms and it ran well, the responsiveness is good. Got...
  13. D

Solved No start.

Thanks, I did check forum quick before wrenching tonight, and managed to perform the test properly on cylinder 6 @ 140psi and cylinder 4 @ 137.5psi. Got after the passenger side, couldn't get Cylinder 1-2 cracked, no room for leverage, I Did get Cylinder 3 plug out, it was very tight. But...
  14. D

Solved No start.

i asked about gap, because I overthink everything. TB was closed. Thanks.
  15. D

[SOLVED] 4.0 SOHC is long cranking when hot

Only thing that hasn't been mentioned is bad engine ground connections, check clean and/or upgrade/add a few.
  16. D

Solved No start.

Oh thanks I will check wires tomorrow for cylinder number. So I guess the previous owner had the plugs done. If that's the case, there is still about 120000 miles on them. I googled auto lite quickly and seen motocraft owned it, so I assumed.. So if it has compression across all cylinders...
  17. D

Solved No start.

Been busy, haven't had time to get after spark plugs until tonight, just been PB blasting them for days though and did get all of the three cracked on the drivers/easy side, and pulled the easiest one in the middle, cylinder 5. The plug looks original, it is an autolite 300, the electrode is...
  18. D

Solved No start.

Tried to start again, it sounded like she was going to go, maybe 2 cylinders fired. Stumbled a rumble and nothing. Battery is juiced barely hass enough to crank her over. Charging and going after plugs.
  19. D

Solved No start.

Is that a picture of a tensioner? Seems odd that it could jump timing on such a limp start, as I have said, the thing barely started for maybe a 1/2second and stalled before even reaching 1000 rpm. But knowing it started, and now sounds so limp turning over, almost like it's lacking...
  20. D

Solved No start.

Been rattling about 5000miles/7500kms. Really hoping the timing is fine, does it normally fail on a start up, I have only heard of them failing at cruising speed? Thanks for the advice, I will work on plugs today. So it's possible that if spark is good, compression is still present, and...
  21. D

Solved No start.

I have followed that exact procedure twice now Mr Brooks. Thirds a charm hopefully...
  22. D

Solved No start.

Your probably right, I really soaked them with penetrating fluid, so hopefully they will go.
  23. D

Solved No start.

I believe they are crap, I tried to remove in the spring and fall since I already have new plugs. I felt like they were going to break. I will try again. You think this could cause a no start?
  24. D

Solved No start.

After driving most of the day yesterday, I came home for a few hours then when I went to start truck it started, barely, got to around 900rpm and died out. Went to start again sounded like it was going to go, was definitely firing, but wouldn't start. The timing chain rattle has been...
Back