Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Brian Middleton

Options for rear axle rebuild

I'm not sure how the noise from the rear diff would stop... I would check the fluid in it before doing anything. The front diff is a bit strange. I would take the front drive shaft/prop off and check for play going into the housing.
  2. Brian Middleton

PLEASE HELP HAVE SPARK AND FUEL YET STILL NO START ON MY 1998 EXPLORER 4.0

You would know if it jumped time because it would sound awful when turning over and it would still try to start. The crank shaft and cam shaft position sensor determine the coil pack firing and opening and closing of the injectors. The only thing a code reader would be useless on is a fuel issue...
  3. Brian Middleton

BTW if the fuel pressure is fine use a scanner and check for a code even if there is no light on. It could be either the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor. Good luck.
  4. Brian Middleton

If you have spark and fuel then it would at least sound like its trying to start (no just turning over). Take cap, usually blue, off the fuel line and after trying to start it take a screw driver and push it all the way in and if gas doesn't go everywhere you don't have enough fuel pressure to...
  5. Brian Middleton

Anybody know what this part is???

Maybe try a new Idle Air Control (IAC) because the computer adjusts the idle with the IAC when the compressor comes on.
  6. Brian Middleton

I got the Pinion and Ring gear from eBay and the ONLY reason I replaced them was because I chipped a tooth on the pinion gear trying to remove the bearing. I got a bearing kit from my local auto parts store and took it to a local shop that removed the old bearings and pressed the new ones back...
  7. Brian Middleton

If it makes it all the time it's probably the diff bearings. I did my own rear end and had a shop do the front axle and it was $590 for labor alone (with me removing the entire axle and taking it to them) and it was awful trying to find the shims for the front... It's not uncommon for the...
  8. 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer

1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer

9. 1999 Explorer Interior

1999 Explorer Interior

Custom carpet and reconditioned leather
  10. 1999 Explorer Custom headliner and moonroof

1999 Explorer Custom headliner and moonroof

11. 1999 Back seats

1999 Back seats

They were redyed only
  12. 1999 Front passenger seat

1999 Front passenger seat

13. 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer

1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer

75% restored
  14. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

Do you have a before and after video of how your truck runs?
  15. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

That is true and that is why it's on the opposite side as the front drive shaft. From driving around the past week I've not noticed any difference with or without it other than a quieter engine.
  16. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

Just an FYI I pulled off the harmonic balancer and the front timing cover removed the chain guide to the balance shaft and cut the chain off the balance shaft and removed the tensioner part of the tensioner to the balance shaft. I removed the main chain tensioner and looked it over and looked at...
  17. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

So I bought a 2000 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC (2wd) today because I'm just going to do an engine swap and sell the one that I just bought with my noisy rebuilt engine. Listen how quiet this 4.0 SOHC runs. It needs a few oddball stuff but I got it for an absolute steal on facebook market and for...
  18. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

I should have a special youtube video posted tonight on this very topic!
  19. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

If I have the chance I'm going to have my neighbor look at mine tomorrow and see what he says. He has extensive experience with these 4.0 sohc at one of the local dealerships. I've worked on a lot of these and yes they tend to run loud, but I have never heard one like my rebuild or the ones in...
  20. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

It sounds just like mine. Below is a video of from today with a cold start to normal idle and I put the RPMs at 1100 at the 5 minute mark. I think the noise is from the timing tensioners and chains not being Ford brand, but don't have anything to back this up with. When I first started mine...
  21. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

How many miles has yours made this noise? Also, did you buy a rebuilt engine or have the original rebuilt?
  22. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

This was the Ford brand tensioner.
  23. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

This was the new Evergreen brand balance shaft tensioner that apparently didn't line up correctly with the chain.
  24. Brian Middleton

4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

I have attached the picture of the damaged Evergreen brand balance shaft tensioner and the replaced Ford brand. I really thought this was the smoking gun for the noise. Mine had 278k at time of rebuild. The back (right) chain guild was broke and the valves were hitting the piston so I decided...
Back