Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

When to change ignition coils?

Looks like the Motorcraft wires don't have the wonky type heat shields that I currently have. Are they a 2-piece clam shell type or are they 1-piece? If they have a more solid feel and the shields don't flop around and get bent super easy then I might like'em.
  2. M

Those metal shields make me mental. A man has to know his limitations and those @%*#$*!$ shields make me angry just thinkin' 'bout'em.
  3. M

In the process of re-routing the spark plug wires, I found cylinder 7 wire was burned inside the plug end crimp fitting. I cut away the bad and re-crimped. She feels much smoother now at idle, I'll check cylinder 4 soon, both have 90* boots. I definitely wanna replace these wires or at least...
  4. M

I greatly appreciate all of the feedback and info. New info: - 2 CEL codes, P304 and P307, cylinders 4 and 7 misfire. No other CEL codes. - Replaced both coils and cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, just sprayed, no q-tip action. - Verified fuel pressure is good while driving, never dropped...
  5. M

Unsure, I haven't since I bought it 2 years ago. I have a new set of Motorcraft SP-432 plugs. Are the Motorcraft wires still the ones to go with? WR-6034?
  6. M

I didn't want to start another thread but can't find the same symptoms I'm experiencing. Engine starts quickly, runs fine until shifting into OD at 40mph and then the engine stumbles. If I let off of the throttle it stops stumbling. If I give it more throttle or keep it in 3rd gear it is less...
  7. M

Instrument cluster swap - 2002 Sport Trac into 1999 Mountaineer

So if'n I understand this correctly, a '01-'03 Sport Trac dash/instrument cluster will plug and play in a 1999 Explorer? Is this true for later models like my 2001 EB AWD 5.0? Does a 2WD Sport Trac dash have the light locations for 4WDLo an Hi, just no lights installed? Should someone decide...
  8. M

Rear brake upgrade

Just for clarification and to summarize or in case I missed it somewhere: What pads work in the Ranger calipers when mounted on a 2nd gen and using the vented Ranger rotors? What sporty looking drilled and/or slotted rear Ranger rotors are available aftermarket and are good quality? What...
  9. M

2001 Explorer Headlight Help

The light pattern of the OE headlights is pretty good, nice even coverage, not spotty, but I have noticed how much more light there seems to be with the driving lights on. Not light that reaches very far but it gives the impression of lots more light. Very weak looking with them off. Mine are...
  10. M

2001 Explorer Headlight Help

Are these bright enough to see the devil in hell?
  11. M

EV14 Fuel Injector Upgrade... increased power and fuel mileage

Were you able to just install the new injectors and the ECU handle any tune adjustment or did you have to do anything else?
  12. M

EV14 Fuel Injector Upgrade... increased power and fuel mileage

It is my understanding that EV14 not only atomize better but have much better accuracy at low duty cycles which means you can install overly large injectors if needed for boosted or nitrous applications and still have great off idle performance. What injectors do 2001 5.0 Explorer engines have OE?
  13. M

Shock replacements

What shop do you use? Has anyone gone to an alignment shop with specific alignment numbers for the tech to hit instead of a "range"? Sportscar folks do this, can't see why they couldn't on a truck. After more street only driving with the Gas Magnums, I like them better than the Rancho 5000...
  14. M

Shock replacements

The one's I got were the only listed for AWD, Gas Magnum, they are yellow but are shown black in the ad, 34804 is the part number, in the $40 per shock range. I wonder if the RWD shocks for the front have lots more travel since they can be a full length shock, no front axles to avoid.
  15. M

rear cargo area door handle went dead, won't open.

....or make sure the doors and lift gate are unlocked. My driver's door unlocks first with one click of the remote, then the rest unlock with the second click.
  16. M

Shock replacements

I had the brilliant idea to see what my Monroe load adjusting shocks would feel like with the springs removed. Turns out you can't get the spring off without removing the cross pin from the upper mount, unless I'm doin' it wrong. :( So I put the old shocks back on the rear. The old shocks were...
  17. M

How to pull steering wheel?

Does the steering wheel need to mount or be indexed on the shaft in a certain position? For some reason I'm thinking the upper steering shaft isn't just a straight shaft with joints on it rather it is connected in an offset way which changes steering speed so it needs to be indexed properly...
  18. M

Shock replacements

Wow! The Magnums are definitely a nicer riding street shock than the Rancho 5000. Went for a quick test loop after installing them and was able to hit the expansion joint which had previously cause the truck to shudder. Nice smooth "thump", still more firm control than a boat like luxury car...
  19. M

Fuel efficiency...

I'd like to find a way to get a proper 0.040" squish by just replacing head gaskets but we'd need one with installed thickness of 0.020" and the only way I've seen this done is with solid copper and an o-ring. Not sure this is doable without machining heads and block prior. What kinda power...
  20. M

Fuel efficiency...

Who is your cam designer? Are you referring to the KB Step Dish design? I like what he has written on how/why these were designed the way they are.
  21. M

Fuel efficiency...

So lets look at just the engine and what mods increase fuel efficiency at highway cruise speeds of say 70mph. These are just my thoughts. I used to think that a tall top gear was the key to best mpg but it is actually Throttle Position. One way to monitor this is intake manifold...
  22. M

Shock replacements

I believe the SensaTracs have been replaced with OESpectrum. Both were listed as OE quality ride, the Gas Magnums claim to be better, more comfortable ride. We'll see.
  23. M

Shock replacements

I ordered a pair of Monroe Gas Magnums for the front to try. They claim "Better valving range on both the compression and extension cycles of the unit for a smooth, comfortable ride".
  24. M

Gt500, or S550 mustang gt base 4 pot brakes

If I did my math correctly, 2 - 1.75" pistons have roughly the same area as 4 - 1.25" pistons. 4.8 sqin vs. 4.9 sqin. 1.25" pistons are roughly 32mm in diameter. 43mm pistons have about 2.25 sqin of area each so 4 would have 9.0 sqin. YIKES! That's allot more area with lots more power.
  25. M

Gt500, or S550 mustang gt base 4 pot brakes

I like that calipers with opposed pistons don't use sliding pins and extra bracketry. Some even make changing brake pads super easy, just pull them out of the top of the caliper with it still mounted. That's that racer stuff right there! Hey Don, can you clarify how you go about determining...
Back