Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Tire Recommendations?

Well here's another review to confuse you. I posted a request for a tire recommendation back in August and had some good recommendations like you've gotten. One of the members, J-C recommended Continental CrossContact LX25's and I pick up a set a few weeks ago. While I don't have many miles on...
  2. P

2018 PIU Replacement tire recommendations

Thanks for a recommendation MattMPA. I'll check them out. I'm surprised that I haven't had any more recommendations. I guess people are happy with the stock tires and just replace the with the same.
  3. P

2018 PIU Replacement tire recommendations

Hello fellow PIU folks. It's been a while since I posted something on the forum. My 2018 is doing fine as a daily driver and is now fully upfitted with my ham radios and antennas. I have more antennas than the local PD. Since the car is a daily driver I'm reaching the time when I'll need tires...
  4. P

CAN Bus LEDs on the 2017 PIU?

I do the same with my ham radios. Luckily they all look the same. Now back on topic. I have some understanding of the electronics and I think the CANBUS leds are just led's with a load resistor built in. I don't see how a led lamp can talk to the canbus and say "I'm not an LED" Seems to me...
  5. P

CAN Bus LEDs on the 2017 PIU?

Are you talking about replacing incandescent bulbs with LED replacements? If so I can tell you how it went with my 18. I replaced both the front and rear directional bulbs and back ups with LEDs without problems. I replaced both rears first and did not get the fast indication but when I added...
  6. P

2013 interceptor utility transmission issue (I think )

Well it's supposed to allow cops to chase bad guys with maximum performance. If you are really sitting there on the gas and not moving you have a problem. It's built into the vehicle dynamics computer and also can come on with fast aggressive turning in addition to breaking. As far as I know it...
  7. P

2013 interceptor utility transmission issue (I think )

I think it may have gone into Pursuit Mode. It's shocking the first time you experience it. It's a sudden downshift and if you keep on the gas you will go through gears with long high rev shifts, kind of fun. I make mine do it once in a while to "blow out the carbon" Hopefully this is the case...
  8. P

Hello, I'm a Newbie! Ready to purchase PIU, but need to be educated...

Welcome to the group Rick> I know you'll find a lot of good information here and a very high signal to noise ratio. (I'm a HAM too) We'll have to get together sometime, I see you are pretty close to me.
  9. P

2016-2019 Roof Rail/Cargo Bar Install

I was wondering what happened to your project? Like you, I'm hesitant to pull off that rubber strip to see whats under it. That's why I was interested in your project. I'm sure there is a brave soul who has done this and maybe has some pictures to share. Good luck.
  10. P

Hope I'm not jacking the thread. PeterK, I have 3 quarter wave antennas 900, UHF, VHF and one "orange juice can" UHF antenna. All clear my garage at home but the VHF scrapes in parking decks. Maybe we should start an Antennas thread?
  11. P

PDX, I'm interested in any photos and info about the mounting points front and rear. I don't want to peel up the rubber strips if I don't have to. I want to make a cross piece that I can mount a HF antenna on. These are usually pretty big (tall) and need a stout mounting plate. I don't want to...
  12. P

2018 PIU Factory Service Manual source ?

I did a few searches here but failed to get a hit. So, does anyone know of a source for a factory service manual for the PIU? I'd say a standard Explorer would be close enough for most jobs but I could be wrong. My PIU seems to have only the basic police mods/upfitting. I could handle a...
  13. P

Police wiring help - 12 wires under hood

Yes, there it is on page 2-72. Thanks jmr061. I wish I found that before I started searching. Mine didn't look like that though. It was completely taped up and the only reason I thought to cut into the tape was a bit of the tag was visible. I'm really good at wiring and installations but I have...
  14. P

UPFITTER WIRES FOUND After a lot of searching I finally found the cabin end of the 12 wire bundle. In my car they were found under the dash above the brake pedal rod that goes to the MC and booster. The wires were taped over on top of another harness, no connectors just 6 or 8 inches of wire. I...
  15. P

I'm installing a console and wiring up radios and need to run some circuits through the firewall. Ford provides a nice set of 12 wires (6 pairs) that reside near the battery under the hood. I found these but cannot find where they terminate. I looked through the upfitter guide and all it shows...
  16. P

Where can I get a GOOD ELM327 reader?

Ask and you shall receive. Just what I'm looking for. Ain't this a great forum. Thanks fastpakr.
  17. P

Thanks for the quick reply fastpakr. Good info but I should have added that I'm looking for a USB connected device. Some people have good luck with bluetooth but I haven't. I sure don't want to brick my car.
  18. P

Well after I bought two "Bad Clone" devices I need help. Can someone direct me to source for a good reader that will make Forscan happy? I'm anxious to start personalizing my car. I'm interested in hearing from someone who recently purchased their reader. These days with clones of clones...
  19. P

Assembly Manual Source

Well I answered my own question. Did some more searching and I found a good site with part numbers and assembly blow ups. It appears to be an official Ford site and does show PIU parts when you put in your VIN. Check it out. Shop for Ford Factory OEM Parts -Parts.Ford.com
  20. P

Assembly Manual Source

Does anyone know of a online or purchase source for an assembly manual? I'm about to start adding equipment and modifying things and I don't want to damage panels and parts when removing them. It would be real helpful knowing that you pop this and pull on that before tearing stuff up. What...
  21. P

PIU Floor Mats

OK Report on front row MaxLiner / Smartliner Mats. I like them. They fit, seem substantial and do not slip around. They snug right down and are firmly held by the edges. BTW these are a tray type mat similar to a Weather Tech. I ordered a rear mat too but it wasn't delivered today.
  22. P

PIU Floor Mats

I guess I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy :) The rubber mat in my rig is shiny black and really shows dirt and debris. My other cars with floor mats don't show it as much. Regarding slipping around, yes they probably will. I'll let you know how I tame that issue.
  23. P

PIU Floor Mats

I have all rubber mats. I ordered a set of Maxliner mats yesterday I'll let you know how they fit.
  24. P

PIU Floor Mats

Thanks, I figured they would but ya never know.
  25. P

PIU Floor Mats

This maybe a dumb question but you never know. Will standard Explorer floor mats fit a 2018 PIU? I never had a civilian Explorer and don't know if there are some differences in the floor pan. Any recommendations? Thanks
Back