Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. realscot2

2018 xlt 4wd

Chicagoland is having a fairly snowy winter and I've used the snow mode more than ever before. I've never really paid attention to the power output bar graph under driver assist, intelligent 4wd but I've kept it on lately. What I've noticed is that in FWD default mode, regardless of the...
  2. realscot2

2018 3.5 xlt AWD

So Friends I know at Ford who do calibration got back to me on this. No danger except for being on cruise in those conditions things go south fast with no time to recover. If you lose it over 40 mph your basically just along for the ride. Sand/snow mode just changes the shift map to keep the...
  3. realscot2

2018 3.5 xlt AWD

Wondering if when in "intelligent 4WD" it automatically disconnects and defaults to FWD if you drive over 45 mph. I don't like to assume anything but the term "intelligent" might lead you to believe it will. I do lots of interstate driving and was never sure about whether or not I can put it...
  4. realscot2

2018 XLT review after 42,280 miles

I bought this with 2460 miles from the dealer. I was looking at and drove a brand new 2018 2.3 ecoboost FWD and I was less than impressed with the ride and feel. Dealer said you like black and black? and came back with this courtesy vehicle XLT 4WD. Night and day difference in the ride and feel...
  5. realscot2

2018 XLT tinted headlights

THANK YOU Peter ! As always this forum is incredibly informative and my first stop when considering mods.
  6. realscot2

2018 XLT tinted headlights

I've gotten everything done except fro installing the factory block heater ( need to do this soon ) and water cooled PTU ( I'll replace it when mine prematurely dies ). BUT Isn't there ALWAYS something else you'd like to do that isn't a HUGE project with a big bang for the buck ?? What is the...
  7. realscot2

Adding engine oil cooler

Added a factory engine oil cooler to my 2018 XLT 3.5. Pretty straight forward except for finding the correct radiator hose with dual connections. Actually bought it at the dealer ( $56 ) after searching on line ($85). Very little room to get the top 3 bolts started, but other than that pretty...
  8. realscot2

anyone connect this to a stock XLT

Did the install of the stock engine oil cooler. All thats needed is a new lower radiator hose that has two ports ( upper and lower ). It took me about 4 hours mostly because there is VERY LITTLE room to get at the top and side bolts. I was able to use a 4" long, 1/4" drive extension with a...
  9. realscot2

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Brought my 18 XLT in to the dealer in early June 2020 with 33,400 miles. Told the service advisor that I want the PTU lube changed. He said I was the first person to ever ask him and didn't know why because they are lifetime lubed. I asked him if he had knowledge of ALL the DOCUMENTED failures...
  10. realscot2

Radiator, what radiator?

All, I finally found the correct cooling diagram with the proper connections for the oil cooler and water cooled PTU. It appears that the stock radiator in my 2018 XLT just needs the lower hose replaced in order to install the cooler. The new lower hose, part number KM5406 has two ports that...
  11. realscot2

Best hubcentric spacers for a 2019 Explorer?

I machined my own 20mm spacers for my 2018 XLT. This along with putting 20 x 8.5" wheels has DRAMATICALLY improved the handling over stock. Before I decided to machine my own I was looking at Titan and US spacer. Be SURE you torque the spacer bolts/Nuts and use blue locktight. I torqued mine to...
  12. realscot2

Thanks Peter, Can't hurt to try again with pics....I've sent the part # with these pics to various ford dealer/parts/service on line, not one reply. If I need a radiator swap, I'll sell it and the water cooled PTU. I appreciate your input Scott
  13. realscot2

Greetings I have a brand new FoMoCo 8A8E-6A642-AA engine oil cooler ( pictures attached ) complete with lines. I want to add this but can't determine if it can be connected too my stock radiator. I DO NOT have towing, and am not adding it to tow, just for additional oil cooling. Do you think...
  14. realscot2

Radiator, what radiator?

I searched all the Gen5 threads regarding Towing or Radiator and don't see the info I need. I scored a water cooled PTU and an engine oil cooler from a low mileage 2018 explorer, ALL rear end damage. I want to install them on my 2018 XLT 3.5. I don't intend to tow so this is just for added...
  15. IMG_20200702_103622065_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200702_103622065_HDR.jpg

2018 XLT mods. class 3 hitch (not for towing) Custom tow hooks, removed lower air dam, added HID driving lights, added 2015 limited 20" x 8.5 wheels with 20mm wheel spacers, PIU crash brace and removed 3rd row seating, painted all chrome, badges and wheels Graphite, weathertech deflectors
  16. IMG_20200702_103315329.jpg

IMG_20200702_103315329.jpg

my stock 2018 XLT
  17. realscot2

Swap out 2018 XLT grille for a 2015 sport

As always, this forum saves the day, thank you Peter
  18. realscot2

Swap out 2018 XLT grille for a 2015 sport

Hey, hope you're all doing well Never liked the stock 18 grille and I found a very nice 2015 black sport grille for $200. Wondering if it is an exact fit for the opening with the stock grille removed, anybody ?
  19. realscot2

5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread

Appreciate the towing capacity info, I don't tow anything I use it for a bike rack and rear impact protection. Couldn't refuse the $60 offer on the receiver, so I installed it.
  20. realscot2

Adding Recovery Hooks on 5th Gen?

Hello I did install 2 tow hooks from a Silverado but I have access to a machine shop with milling machines and ox-acet torches I removed the front lower air dam which gives u almost 4" more ground clearance to the bottom of the bumper. However , on the L and R side on the bottom of the bumper...
  21. realscot2

I installed a drawtite class 3 because I got it for $60 in like new condition. Because it wasn't OEM buying the bumper with factory hitch cut out wouldn't work. The L and R rear panels, bumper skin, bumper re-enforcement bar come off, then you have to lower the L and R side exhaust. I used 2...
  22. realscot2

Mods I've done to my 2018 xlt....replaced stock 18" wheels with 20 x 8.5 from a 2015 limited wrapped in goodyear weather ready tires, Added fog/driving lights from a 2019 limited. installed a class 3 hitch and custom modified the bumper with cut out for the receiver. Added a dual 2.4 V USB...
  23. realscot2

How to: Explorer 3rd row delete & police package install

I agree with Peter, I am a new elite member ($20) and had no issue what so ever posting pics immediately after making the payment on paypal
  24. realscot2

2018 xlt customizations

having a spare front hub assembly made it easy to extend the OEM relief groove for removal of the wheel studs. Since I'm adding 16mm per side, I'll need 16mm longer press in wheel studs which no one has. Because they are longer I needed a longer relief groove, so I used a dremel to remove just...
Back