Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Drivetrain clunking, smell, and slight lockup

The propane smell in ours went on for about a year... getting worse along the way. We'd really notice it when we took camping trips. Usually longer drives to our destination - minimum of 200 miles - then slow driving through the woods etc, to our final spot. You'd really notice it when...
  2. D

Excellent... thanks. Since the dealer wants a silly price to replace, I'll be doing it on my own. Haven't wrenched on anything other than German for quite a few years, so should be interesting. Yes... I'm out of warranty, I've got about 80k on it. A very disappointing lifespan, however...
  3. D

Thanks for all the feedback... going to try and dig up a replacement procedure somewhere. Sounds like the various PTU symptoms are an exact match. Perhaps using a high quality synthetic gear oil (motul) might provide a better lifespan.
  4. D

Thanks to you both. Can you give me any details on this component? Is it part of the trans, or something attached like a center diff? Or if you could point me to a thread. Searching seems clumsy, as I seem to get results from all forums, not just the Gen5 Explorers. Probably searching wrong...
  5. D

Hi, New to this forum, but a very experienced mechanic. This is my first Ford (almost all of my vehicles have been German), so I'm not familiar with them, and to date it has required little other than normal wear items. Last evening my wife and I went out to dinner... and that's when I began to...
Back