Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Lower rear control arm bushings.

Hi, again, please does anyone have an idea about these non-metal shelled bushings? Is there a shell on the original bushing that needs to stay in place, or does this just press into the arm itself? Any ideas or pointers before I pull the arm off would be appreciated? Thanks
  2. E

Lower rear control arm bushings.

Hi guys, I am hoping this is an easy one for you all. I have to replace lower control arm bushings on my 2005. I have ordered the parts from Rockauto and they are on the way here. I understand the best option is to replace the whole arm, but with the weight and freight cost to NZ this works out...
  3. E

Bolt Slop?

Hi guys, couple of quick questions for anyone who has played with their shocks. 05 EB 4x4. I am trying to track down a nasty ride quality issue, where over multiple small bumps on the road the whole car rattles around. I have completely removed the sway bar to eliminate that, no difference...
  4. E

Is this body mount ok?

Heya Kiwi Sam, its great to see I'm not alone! Not much support down this way for the Explorers. No, I haven't gone ahead with the body mounts yet, everyones replies here seemed to point elsewhere, but it wasn't until Joe from NY showed that video and said he didn't notice any reduction in...
  5. E

Is this body mount ok?

hmm, thanks for the reply, I think that has to mean I'm looking in the wrong place, if mounts as bad as yours weren't really causing a noticeable problem. Bugger I thought I was onto something. Oh well keep looking, thanks again Joe
  6. E

Is this body mount ok?

Hi Joe, sorry I should have asked, did you have any feeling in the cabin that the mounts were gone like that? Swaying or vibration going over bumps? I hear the potholes in NY can be an adventure...
  7. E

Is this body mount ok?

hiya again, sorry I haven't managed to get a video yet of the mount, hopefully will get something this weekend. I can say its nowhere near as bad as Joe in NY! Thanks for posting that video, I presume thats the 2004 V8 four door? And the second mount? so its looks like those four under the...
  8. E

Is this body mount ok?

Hi all thanks for the replies. Domct203, yeah I hear you, looks like a nightmare, so I'll only get involved if I am sure it will help. I do have a welder, so I like the idea of just tacking on a bit of tube or bar to hold it. I haven't seen one of these in pieces, from what you are saying the...
  9. E

Is this body mount ok?

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. yes the 5th one is the one in the OP. I think the 3rd and 4th photo (same mount) is also a foam one. I was googling it yesterday and found a video where the guy was saying Ford went from rubber all around, to having foam on the cabin mounts due to better NVH...
  10. E

Is this body mount ok?

hiya, sorry about the quality, didn't get to check them until I went to load them but for whats it worth here they all are...
  11. E

Is this body mount ok?

Right will do this weekend and post them up cheers
  12. E

Is this body mount ok?

Hi again SWS, thanks for the reply. I just priced up all the Dorman mounts from Rockauto, $818 US ouch! About $1250 NZ without delivery. However I think the local ford wanted about $400 just for one, so still much cheaper. I am a but worried now that you have not heard of many problems...
  13. E

Is this body mount ok?

Hi SWS, thank very much for that. Sorry my mistake I meant to say I would replace with rubber mounts rather than polyurethane to get the same ride as OEM mounts. Your right about the sticker shock, they were several hundred (each) from ford here in NZ. I looked up your link but unfortunately...
  14. E

Is this body mount ok?

Hi everything, thank you for all the replies and discussion! Sorry for the delay have been away for the weekend. So from what I can tell, some think it looks fine, and others say they deteriorate over time anyway. I have checks the ball joints and wheel bearings, the only issue I could find...
  15. E

Is this body mount ok?

Hi all I've been trying to track down this issue with my 2005 Explorer. Its hard to explain but it kind of shudders through the whole car when I hit multiple bumps in the road. Seems to handle single bumps ok, reasonably smooth. Anyway, I replaced all 4 struts, which made the problem much...
  16. E

Not a nice ride....

Hi Mbrooks420, thanks for the reply. I am running 35psi in the tires, as per the owners manual and the door sticker. It is better lower, but I think it masks it rather than fixes it. Yes would definitely go Motorcraft if I had my time again. I have emailed Gabriel and they even said theirs...
  17. E

Not a nice ride....

hmm looks like it has already been answered in this post Suspension replaced and can still feel small bumps-what else needs replaced? But still I can't imagine someone buying a new car that feels as rough over bumps as this one....
  18. E

Not a nice ride....

Hi guys, just after some advice before I throw more money at it. My 2005 Explorer (about 71k miles) used to ride quite nice and smooth. However it started getting a bit bouncy so I went ahead and changed all four struts with Munro quick struts. This certainly helped the bounce, but had a...
  19. E

Front Quick Strut Install

Hi again, Donystoy thanks I didn't have to remove my front links when doing the struts, so with a bit of penetrating oil over the next week hopefully the rears will come off ok like yours. Good idea to coat with grease, although I probably won't ever have to do it again. We don't have the salt...
  20. E

Hi guys thanks for the reply. RobinGa, I think I am reading that if I break the plastic parts on the links I will need entire new links? They are cheap enough to buy but with a 6 week wait to ship to New Zealand I don't want to be without a car for 6 weeks. So I might be better to put the job...
  21. E

While I am here, I am about to do the rear ones, ordered them today. According to the 1AAuto video you have to disconnect the rear sway bar links, and he mentions issues with getting them off. Something about having to break the plastic covering. If this is the case can the link still be used...
  22. E

Hi thanks, thats what I did, was very helpful, except their strut just slid in easily without having to separate the UCA, hence me initially thinking the part was incorrect. Thats why I thought I would post in case someone else watched that video and worried as I did, thanks.
  23. E

Yep, if any ones still reading this thread I did the fronts over the weekend with quick struts. Old ones come out a breeze, but could not get the new one in. As mentioned, the base doesn't have the cutaway section the old ones had, so it was mashed against the CV boot with still about half an...
  24. E

Advance Trac - Do I have it?

Hi Skipper thanks for the quick response! Definitely love and trust the forum already, its pretty hard to get someone down this way who knows much about these cars, so the forum is a life line. Yes I read that if fitted with RCS its indicated by badges, and also the owners manual shows the...
  25. E

Advance Trac - Do I have it?

Hi guys, excellent forum by the way, used it extensively already! I just got a 2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6. Made in Missouri, it somehow managed to find its way all the way down to New Zealand! Anyway, this might be a stupid question but Wiki says "Ford's AdvanceTrac RSC (Roll Stability Control)...
Back