Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. U

How much play is permissible on the rear hubs?

While I had the rear rotors off for brake maintenance on my '04 XLT the other day, I decided to check bearing condition by grabbing the hub and moving it axially and radially. I miked it out, and got .002" of total radial play, and .004" of total axial play. The rear bearing isn't making any...
  2. U

'04 Exp--3 stalls while driving, now "Check Charging System"

Quick update...since installing the new alternator, while Voltage is a solid 14+ volts, I have had one on-road low-speed (~20mph) engine stall. Might need a new ignition switch after all...
  3. U

But that's just it--the voltage wasn't really that low (~12.9V) when the stalls happened. And then when voltage was really low (as in everything except the engine itself was shutting down), the engine still ran just fine, no stalls. (At least until I parked, it, and the car said "no more!") My...
  4. U

SOLVED: It was the alternator. She gave up the ghost today. Happened pretty quickly too. I barely made it to work. Instrument cluster, radio, etc. all died, but the engine kept going right until I got to the parking lot. Phew! Was able to score a new one pretty quickly and swap it out right...
  5. U

So my 2004 XLT Explorer just recently started misbehaving. 3 times in the last week, the engine simply quite while driving at low speed (25-30mph), but never at higher speeds. Engine would restart immediately, no problem. No other issues or symptoms were observed...until yesterday. Now, while...
Back