Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Popping/grinding in steering when turning

I didn't use that style for very long. I would guess for long term they won't hold up.
  2. R

No inner tie rod removal for any stop like this that can be spread open to slip over the rack.
  3. R

Correct, no noise after 16 months and about 16,000 miles. When the OEM bushing separates so the rubber and metal washer are no longer one unit, the washer slides back and forth and gets caught up at an angle on the teeth of the rack. This is what causes the noise each time it gets hung up on a...
  4. R

My solution has been holding up well. It feels good when it hits the end stops and there hasn't been any problems. One of these days when I have the wheels off I need to pull the boots off the rack and take a look and see how the plastic donuts are holding up but so far I haven't had a reason to...
  5. R

I'm thinking that solution should work pretty well. I haven't tried it long term.
  6. R

PTU Build Thread

Do you know what thread pattern the drain plug uses or could you measure it if yours is still apart? It would be nice to figure out a Fumoto style quick drain plug so changing the oil doesn't make such a mess. I have changed mine twice and the oil clings to the case and drips all over the...
  7. R

One thing I did try first more as a proof of concept to see if UHMW would likely work or not was using UHMW washers from McMaster-Carr. No lathe or removal of inner tie rods required. I drilled out the center hole so it's slightly smaller than the shaft. Cut a split in it. It can be done...
  8. R

Sorry, no. I don't own a lathe myself. I borrowed my dads. As for temperature, I would think so. 180° is pretty high but I don't know how high it gets in the rack. Maybe because the passenger side is so close to the exhaust, that is why the original rubber fails so fast on that side. Some...
  9. R

Alright I've been meaning to write this up but I keep forgetting. This is what I did a month and a half ago with great results so far. I ordered a foot of 2" diameter UHMW rod from McMaster-Carr to make new end stops out of. I removed the driver's side end stop to check it's condition and see...
  10. R

I have the stock tire size of 255/50R20 but it is a Sport so the wheels are 20x9 with a 44mm offset. I'm not sure what you have but if it's not a Sport, I believe the 20" wheels are 20x8.5 with a 44mm offset so the overall tire center is shifted inward 0.25". I am only speculating though if this...
  11. R

I wonder if these would work any better (if they fit of course)? 6R3Z-3932-CA I know removing the inner tie rod would be required to slip them on but it'd be worth it if it was a long term solution. I removed the broken pieces from my passenger side today. I don't get any rubbing so far at...
  12. R

What happens if you don't have a travel limiter at all? Does it damage the steering rack when the wheel is turned all the way?
  13. R

Any idea why the plastic stops would be breaking when it's common practice to install these in newer Mustangs to limit travel? Is the outside diameter too small for whatever it contacts within the rack? I just figured out the noise my 2015 Sport is making is coming from the passenger side of the...
  14. R

Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread

Livernois Catback Installed I finally got my Livernois/Corsa catback exhaust installed. It took me a while to decide which exhaust system to go with but ultimately I chose the Livernois/Corsa kit because it bolts up to the downpipe flanges rather than requiring cutting the pipes behind the...
  15. R

2020 Platinum Headlights

Of course they are different. The OEM LED housings don't use off the shelf 9005 style LED bulbs. It uses a purpose built reflector and side mounted LED whereas the OEM halogen housing has a center mounted 9005 socket. I believe what chazglenn3 is talking about is replacing the OEM halogen 9005...
  16. R

2020 Platinum Headlights

No, he said this was a 2016 Platinum. The halogens use reflectors, not projectors.
  17. R

Cruise Control Speed not Matching Speedometer or OBDII Speed

Just tested it against my phone's GPS and the OBDII speed was within 0.2 of a MPH. The set cruise control speed is the one that's off from my phone's GPS so I highly doubt the vehicle is correcting cruise control speed with it's GPS. Unless my phone is off. :dunno:
  18. R

Hmm, that is an interesting theory. It would seem odd though if an auto manufacturer would use the GPS to correct for the cruise control display but not the OBDII speed and speedometer. I'll have to check it against a GPS to see if the cruise display matches.
  19. R

I also don't care if my speedometer is off from actual speed by 1 mph. But nothing in my original post is about accuracy of the speedometer so that is beside the point. I was only talking about the cruise control set speed readout not matching the speed the vehicle thinks it is going. It is...
  20. R

My 2015 Explorer's cruise control speed does not match the speedometer. With it set at 60 mph, the vehicle's speedometer shows a little under 59 mph. I know analog speedometers have a tolerance range, but I pulled up engineering test mode and confirmed as shown below. Just to make sure...
  21. R

Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing

My 2000 is rated for 6,620 lbs whereas my 2015 is rated for 5,000 lbs. The Big Tex dump trailer weighs about 4,200 lbs empty. With my 2015 I have only towed it empty and that was more out of curiosity than anything as there isn't much room for payload. To be honest, my 2000 is a lot more...
  22. R

Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing

I just came across this thread so I thought I would put up some of my towing pictures.
  23. R

2020 Platinum Headlights

I know someone with a 2018 Platinum and it has LED high beams. Here is a badly cropped image I happened to have of said vehicle. You can see there is no bulb in the center of the high beam reflector. Light from the LED shoots out from the side just like the low beam. A lookup on Etis shows it...
  24. R

Changing Out Front/Rear Emblems

I too got my emblems from joe1966fairlane on eBay. The quality is exceptional. I went with a Magnetic/gloss black emblem in the front because the Magnetic matches the EXPLORER lettering on the hood and the honeycomb portion of the grill pretty well and the gloss black matches the 3 bars in the...
  25. R

5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread

I spent the last couple of weeks washing, clay barring, water spot removing, sealing, and waxing my 2015 Explorer Sport. It has 98k miles on the clock. At the same time I swapped out the Ford emblems for a Magnetic/gloss black emblem in the front and a matte black/gloss black emblem in the rear...
Back