Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Transmission fluid leaking from radiators...cost?

I went out driving again and noticed that it is still leaking. Is there any temporary fix I can do?...other than the stop leak?
  2. M

I took off the big plastic radiator protector and found that the leak was coming from a hose clamp. I tightened it up about a 1/4 turn. It didn't want to go much more. I hope this works. This is the last warm day of the year so I will need to bring it into the shop if this failed to stop the...
  3. M

I noticed that I have some transmission fluid leaking from the radiator. It is coming from the passenger side where the two lines come in/out. The leak appears to be pretty sever because I get about a drip every second. Is the problem likely to be just a gasket/seal? Or have there been known...
  4. M

Gas pedal vibrating

My gas pedal vibrates when I am driving. My foot tends to go numb over time if I drive it for to long. Is there something I can do to make it not do that? I am assuming that the vibrations are coming through the cable and to the pedal. Any ideas? Or is this normal for the V8s? BTW the engine...
  5. M

2007 Chevy Super Ugly

Looks like Chevy is trying to take looks of a bunch of different trucks and combine them all into one package. The thing is that no matter how ugly a vehicle is it will still sell....for the most part at least.
  6. M

1000 miles away from home...

Its possible that there could be more damage than just the transmission. The torque converter and/or the flywheel could also be damaged. I would recommend trying to get a different vehicle for the drive home. Hopefully you have some cash...or someone who can help you out. Towing a vehicle that...
  7. M

Weird Noises

Sounds kinda like a wheel balance issue.
  8. M

Finished my AAL!

I posted some pictures on the first posting for you guys.
  9. M

Finished my AAL!

Spray some lubricant (wd40, liquid wrench, pb blast) on the the u-bolts and shock mount to make it that much easier for the bolts to come off. The last thing you want is a broken bolt on Memorial Day.
  10. M

Painting the windshield cowl(s)

Looks good. I have never had any luck painting any of the exterior plasic with that paint. It seems to fade to quick in the weather. But I also didn't prepare the surface in the way you did. So that might make the difference. I like the Fusion mostly for the cars interior painting. Tell us...
  11. M

Finished my AAL!

I just used the large center pin to make sure that everything stayed lined up while I closed it all up with the C-clamps. When they were all closed up I took the provided center pin out and then used a 2.5" x 3/8" grad 8 hex bolt to hold it all together. I don't see how you could even do it any...
  12. M

Finished my AAL!

I will see what I can do as far as pics go. Another thing is that you don't need air tools to do this modification. I had no problem breaking bolts free with some PB Blast and a pipe. The only tool that I didn't have was a grinder and I picked one up for $15 at Northern tool. So this is...
  13. M

Finished my AAL!

I finished my AAL just a few minutes ago. I started at about noon and finished at about 3:30 and that included two trips to the hardware store for an 18mm deep socket and a bigger C-clamp. I was able to get the center pin off without taking the spring off of the shackle and just raised the axel...
  14. M

Check out what I ran over....

Some tire places have jars of stuff they have pulled out of tires. The biggest I've seen was a 8" lag bolt.
  15. M

Preventing rust in newly drilled holes?

I never thought of bearing grease. Do they make small containers for such an application? I was thinking about that too but the holes I drilled are so snug to the bolt that I am afraid it would rub off.
  16. M

Preventing rust in newly drilled holes?

I drilled some holes in my frame for some tow hooks. I am just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for some sort of product to put on the bare metal in the holes so I am not going to have to deal with any rust. I was thinking a spray paint like Rustoleum but maybe just even a brush on...
  17. M

Need help to break into my Explorer

I don't see how you guys were able to push the unlock button. I tried with my dads Explorer and I just couldn't get it to go. I eventually took a coat hanger and bent a small U shape at the end and put it though the rear window and pulled up on the rear hatch lock and it came right up. If I...
  18. M

Towing with a V6 anyone??

With our 96 V6 4.0 OHV we did a good amount of towing. Never an enclosed trailer though...mostly just a 16' boat and a small utility trailer. It didn't have alot of power but it had enough for what we do. We also don't have to many hills or mountains around here to speak of so that makes for...
  19. M

AAL...should I do it?

Well I'm gonna do it. It should be an interesting experience but it shouldn't be out of my reach. Now my only thing is trying to figure out if I should do some cheap autozone shakles while I'm at it so I don't have to get an alignment done twice after I do the TT to even it all out. Wow 100...
  20. M

AAL...should I do it?

I am tempted to buy the AAL from Summit right now. I have yet to really do any modifications to much truck yet. I want to get a project going this weekend and this might suit me well. My only problem that I am seeing is my lack of tools. I just really have a basic set of wrenches and ratchets...
  21. M

Front locker for AWD...will it help?

I would go with something like an ARB air locker up front so I could still have driveability. And about rear lockers...are they that much better than the stock one? And what good will they do if I get just one front wheel stuck and all the power is just going to that one?
  22. M

Front locker for AWD...will it help?

I was thinking but would a front locker on an AWD Explorer help with offroading? With the current setup if one of the front wheels come off of the ground all of the power gets transfered to that one wheel. But with a locker that wouldn't happen...correct? Wouldn't both front (or rear) wheels...
  23. M

Exhaust smell in 96 explorer while towing

Check for things like exhuast leaks. And does the truck burn any oil?
  24. M

Changing the gauge light color?

That is not the exact one I was thinking of but its close enough. The other one had alot more pictures and went through step by step and was very detailed.
  25. M

Need Help, Window Tint Removal

When I removed the tint on my Mustang I used Goof-off and alot of paper towels after I got the film off. It came off very nicely. And if you are fighting the ticket you do need a shop to take it off for you and bring the reciept to the DMV. Atleast thats what I needed to do.
Back