Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

5.0 and trans swap 65 mustang

Dude you’re awesome!!!! Thanks for the info!!!! I wouldn’t have known about having to space the motor forward to fit the accessories.... i do need some good ideas for front disc brakes as my car is originally a 6cyl 4 lug... I’m using that 8.8 so that solves the rear... but I may just get the...
  2. D

Oh ya for sure. I’ll do it at the shop on a weekend or something...
  3. D

Sweet.... that saves me some grief with the abs crap. I guess now it’s just a straight swap “harness” wise.
  4. D

Ok guys just found out from the guy that bought the car for me at the auction that this explorer is in fact a 1996.... so with that being said what will I need for the motor trans and rear end swap into the 65 mustang? This solves my abs vss issues and all that Jazz right?
  5. D

Oh ok awesome thanks
  6. D

So do ya think if I used the abs module and kept the vss in the circuit without any of the other abs wires going to it it would still do it’s thing? Eheh maybe a shot in the dark here
  7. D

Does the vss have anything to do with fuel management? I would think if I used the abs module and kept the vss in the circuit besides everything else involved with abs the cpu should still use that vss signal?
  8. D

Ya if there is s solid way of keeping my 99 pcm that would b sweet.... I mean if I use the abs module as well it would work I guess.... I don’t care if I’m throwing abs codes for the other stuff that wouldn’t be hooked up.... but what is it about the vss that helps with management of the engine...
  9. D

I think the only difference is the fact the abs module itself sends the vss signal into the pcm? Instead of vss direct to pcm? I think?
  10. D

Also just to see.... what would I need to swap over the abs stuff?? Is it just the abs module itself ? I mean if all I need is the vss signal then who cares about front speed senors etc etc right?
  11. D

With the late 97 pcm I have to swap over the fuel rail and injectors from a earlier explorer? And the harness? Or just the rail and injectors?
  12. D

Err wait a tic.... ok so ya I’m using the 8.8 rear for the vss.... but from what I gathered from here is that I still need the abs module ?
  13. D

I’ve decided I’m just gonna use the rear of the explorer solves my issue.... only thing is pats but I assume it can be tuned out?
  14. D

So I came across this post 5.0 Harness Questions And it appears that test and boomin we’re agreeing that the 99and up cpus only needed the oss for the shift points? And that a vss was not needed? If that’s the case shoot I’ll just run a gps speedo gauge and hell I’ll even keep the pats...
  15. D

I see what u mean... ok so lemme make sure I’m getting it right... find output shaft with housing for the old style vss..... use a 96 to 97.5 cpu to get rid of pats and to utilize the swapped output shaft for the vss....
  16. D

Well I got an email from baumann and they said their controller only needs the oss for it to operate... so let’s say I use that trans controller paired with the 97.5 pcm and fuel rail etc etc ?
  17. D

Aight so if I use the 96to 97.5 cpu will that solve my VSS issue? I take it that cpu doesn’t account for the vss in order to run right? I def want to stay obd2 and keep the harness etc..
  18. D

Actually shoot if all I need is to change the output shaft and housing with vss getting a hold of the older year wiring and pcm is no big deal.
  19. D

Actually could I just use a stand alone cpu for the trans and a stand alone for the engine?
  20. D

I could always use the rear diff it’s just that without a nice jig cutting it short to fit can get tricky... if that axle tube is not straight I’ll eat bearings for breakfast
  21. D

I could probably do both but what if I wanted the manual valve body? I like that control... do u think it would still work? As far as pats is concerned I may just swap all that over I like the idea of the alarm... I’m a mechanic by trade but I don’t come across ford computers a lot
  22. D

hey all new to the forum. I have a 65 mustang shell that I am restoring... I currently do not have a motor or trans in the car.... I recently acquired a 99 5.0 explorer for 360 bucks at a lien sale. I want to put that motor and trans with both of their harnesses into the mustang. I just found...
Back