Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. digifoss

Heater question

Well, I may be a little hasty in ruling the heater core out. My coolant system is very clean, overfill tank, coolant, hoses all very clean. PO was a maintenance perfectionist, always changing fluids and filters, flushing coolant system, etc... way before its necessary. I suppose it is...
  2. digifoss

Adventures with Radiators

I think I'm going to give it a try.
  3. digifoss

Adventures with Radiators

I have an 07' 4.0L with 105K miles on it now, I bought it in December 2018 90K on it. The only cooling system problem I have experienced so far has been having to replace the thermostat housing which I read here is a common problem. After reading this thread, I'm wondering if using a 16#...
  4. digifoss

Engine Oil and Filters 4.0L

The Ford gravity or weight spec is 5w30. Personally I would not vary from that. As far as what brand or whether to use synthetic or conventional oil is owner preferences.
  5. digifoss

Heater question

I can rule out everything except the heater control valve, which I have suspected all along but don't know where it is located. I assume it's a valve that opens to let coolant circulate through the heater core ? I have had this happen on previous vehicles and assume the Explorer has a similar...
  6. digifoss

Heater question

The A/C works normally, only the heater is affected. I can select what vents blow air no problem, I have regular a/c , front and rear controls.
  7. digifoss

Heater question

Ever since I bought my Explorer, when I warm it up on cold mornings, the heater will blow cold air until the vehicle starts moving no matter how warm the engine gets. Once it starts blowing warm it heats the car quickly, but if I stop and let it idle too long, the air from the heater slowly get...
  8. digifoss

Good News on Timing Chain Replacement 4.0L SOHC

How big / expensive a job is it to change the tensioners ? I would have my mech do it, not myself.
  9. digifoss

06 4L explorer

We have 108k miles on our 2007. We bought it 2 years ago this month with 90k on it. The po seems to have taken good care of it. From what I've read on this forum the 4.0L changing the oil more frequently than the Ford recommendation of every 5k miles pays off so I change ours at every 3500...
  10. digifoss

Transmission or transfer case

I hope that's all it is...
  11. digifoss

06 4L explorer

Wow, that's not many mines. Sorry to hear you already need an engine....
  12. digifoss

06 4L explorer

how many miles did you get out of the original engine arthur ?
  13. digifoss

06 4L explorer

Have you asked your mechanic about the cost of rebuilding your engine ?
  14. digifoss

oil change

I believe Ford recommends changing the oil every 5000 miles. I change mine more frequently, every 3500 or so. Ford specifies using 5w30 so that's what I use. Whether you use conventional oil, synthetic oil or a blend is up to you, but I do recommend using a premium brand. I use full...
  15. digifoss

If your having trans issues...

Love to hear stories like this. Glad your problem was a simple fix.
  16. digifoss

06’ has No Reverse just revs

I bought mine in December 2018 with about 90k miles on it at the time. I was lucky in the sense that it had been very well maintained and garage kept, it literally looked brand new even under the hood. The only thing I have had to replace so far is the thermostat housing in February this year...
  17. digifoss

06’ has No Reverse just revs

I have an 07 XLT with 100k miles on it. I'm very happy with the 4.0L and 5 speed combination, I believe that well maintained, it will last us for years. IMO the 5 speed is not made to take abuse, constant hard accelerations or heavy towing, but is fine for sane driving as transportation. A...
  18. digifoss

Annoying rumble.

I haven't experienced this on my explorer, but I have on my 96 suburban 4x4, 35 to 50 mph, straight or curves. changing the transmission fluid and filter takes care of it.
  19. digifoss

Thumping sound when rear A/C is running

ok, Thanks for the reply. It only happens every now and then but Ill check it out.
  20. digifoss

Thumping sound when rear A/C is running

About a year ago, I started hearing a thump...thump...thump sound in the back when the rear A/C was running. When I turned the rear blower off, the sound stopped and has not returned for a year until now. A few months ago I heard it again when the rear air was going. Turning off the rear air...
  21. digifoss

Looking at an 2007

That sounds really high for a transmission rebuild, is that typical for the 5-speed ?
  22. digifoss

Looking at an 2007

Around here V8 Explorers are rare, but most are 4WD. I bought my 4.0L 2007' 15 months ago with 90k miles on it and I'm very happy with it. The only thing I have done the past 10,000 miles is replaced the plastic thermostat housing last week. With the 4.0L frequent oil and filter changes are...
  23. digifoss

Towing 07 4x4

The owner manual says this: On 4x2 vehicles it is acceptable to tow the vehicle with the front wheels on the ground and the rear wheels off the ground. On 4x4 / AWD vehicles, it is recommended your vehicle be towed with a wheel lift and dollies or flatbed with all wheels off the ground. If...
  24. digifoss

Towing 07 4x4

Just wondering if I ever need to tow my Explorer home, can it be done with either 2 or 4 wheels on the ground ? Does it need to be hauled on a flatbed - all 4 wheels off the ground ? My old suburban 4x4 has a neutral position on the transfer case that will let me pull it with all 4 wheels on...
  25. digifoss

Thermostat housing leaking

Well, I may regret it but I got this NAPA one, part # S0682AT. "Includes thermostat, seal, sensor and housing" And it's a lifetime warranty not that its important or anything. I needed to get up an running right away.. May order an all metal one later https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MRDS0682AT
Back