Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Front suspension knock

I have used Moog when I have to but they made quite cheaply compared to OEM. I honestly don't think they will perform as long as OEM but time will tell. I still use them when I have to and they will probably be ok, I just prefer to use what the OEM's have tested the vehicle with.
  2. O

Seeking advice on possible purchase

I don't know the market in FL but around here that vehicle sells for around 11-13k. So even if you have to spend 5k on a transmission and other things you would still be at break even and it would have a new trans...and you may not have to do the trans and may be money ahead. With the issues I...
  3. O

Seeking advice on possible purchase

doing the work yourself is the only way that it makes sense, just be prepared to do a trans swap if the new fluid doesn't help/correct the issue. Overall it is a good car and will last many more miles once things are corrected and maintenance is done.
  4. O

Broken Harmonic Balancer, how to remove it?

why is the head of the bolt all beat up, maybe just the way it looks? Did you try removing the balancer without removing the bolt? As already stated you just need a 3 jaw puller to remove it, shouldn't be that difficult to remove other than lack of room can make it a pain.
  5. O

Safety Recall 24S02/NHTSA Recall 24V031 | Feb 2024

I don't seem to have an issue with mine so I won't be taking it in, just more opportunities for someone to mess something up on my car.
  6. O

2017 explorer with 127k miles. Would you?

It says Sport model so that would be TT. It's like buying any used vehicle with that many miles, look it over and you will be able to tell what kind of maintenance has been done. As already noted expect to put some money into the vehicle for fluid changes and other items to keep it going...
  7. O

Help For A Potential Buyer

nothing any different than buying any other high mileage vehicle, check into the service history such as timing chains, cam phasers, water pump, PTU, and the turbos on the sport, those are the big things to look at but honestly if it is in good shape at 180k it may go forever.....or it may die...
  8. O

TRANSMISSION FLUID DRAIN & REFILL - AMOUNT OF REPLACEMENT FLUID NEEDED?

If you have the 3.5 na engine there is no way they did all that, you can't get the filter out without dropping the engine and cradle. There also not much chance they were able to get that much fluid out....the only thing they may have done is added the 6 quarts, started it, then drained it...
  9. O

Opinions please ! 2015 base

I don't think it will have an issue getting to 200k. Even if it does need a repair it is at a lower frequency than the newer vehicles if you go by the forums, not enough time on new vehicles to tell for sure.....and the cost of the "major" repair is less than %10 the cost of a new vehicle. The...
  10. O

Opinions please ! 2015 base

If you aren't in the rust belt you should get another 20 years out of that vehicle with the miles you put on, I have the same thing but an XLT. This is a pretty bullet proof unit when taken care of, I'm up to 130k on mine and rust will take care of it before anything else at this rate. There...
  11. O

Importance of vehicle being level for oil change?

it doesn't matter, remove the filter while the plug is out on the pan, a little more oil will drain into the pan once removed.....all engines have some oil left in them from an oil change and it doesn't matter, the percentage of oil left vs. new oil is negligible.
  12. O

2016 Platinum PTU drain amounts varying?

you fill it up until it comes out of the hole that you add it into. I just added a drain to mine and filled up using the hole on the side, it is in an easy location to get to and fill, not sure why you would want to fill through the breather, seems like a pain and would be slow.
  13. O

130k maintenance, PTU

Rear AC is fine so I didn't do anything there. I saw my rear axle was leaking from both seals so I took it into the shop it was also howling pretty bad so I was guessing the other front wheel bearing was going out, I already replaced the drivers side (I did that one myself and was not going to...
  14. O

Fuel Pump Issues

return to the stock tune and see if it still does it to rule out a bad tune.
  15. O

130k maintenance, PTU

I'm at 130k and it was time for an oil change so I thought I would change my PTU fluid also. I decided to add the drain plug like I have seen a couple videos on. When I drained the PTU the fluid coming out looked fine so not a major concern. Couple notes on the drain plug, I just drilled the...
  16. O

Coolant level sensor

yeah, those look to be a bit much....are you running a micro controller off the switch or just switch and the light? Where did you pull key on power from?
  17. O

Love my Explorer

My reservoir doesn't have a sensor in it so I am going to look into adding something.....I see there is one in another thread that someone installed, I replied to see how it is working and what he used for a light.
  18. O

Coolant level sensor

what light did you get? I was just researching doing this exact thing
  19. O

Love my Explorer

This thread actually got me thinking....I used to buy Cadillac's with bad headgaskets and fix/run those, that was the issue they had from 1981 to 2005.....but the later ones had a coolant level light in them to tell you when the coolant level was low.....has anyone installed one of those in...
  20. O

Love my Explorer

yes, the sky is falling and the world will end some day also....internet hype makes a .5% failure rate sound more like an 80% failure rate..... how many people start a post like I did to say they have a good vehicle vs. how many start a post to say they have a problem?
  21. O

Love my Explorer

My last oil analysis said I had another 3-4k left on my oil so I am currently using about 70% of it's life when I change it. The 3.5 ecoboost in my truck is close to end of life because over 50% of my mileage there is towing but even that is still good to 10k miles.
  22. O

Love my Explorer

2015 Explorer and just did my 110,000 mile oil change (I change oil every 10k) and I just love this thing, simple to work on, has needed very little done to it. The rust will start creeping in this year or next but I plan to run this thing into the ground. Just replaced the original tires (I...
  23. O

100k maintenance

I'm about to do my 100k service. Front brakes (already did the rear), struts, drain and fill trans (normally 4.5-5 quarts), front axle seal that is leaking (wet but not leaving drops yet), and spark plugs. I checked the PTU last oil change and it was clear and looked good still. Throttle body...
  24. O

Programming keyfob

with Forscan.
  25. O

Programming keyfob

you can make another one but it will be a clone of the key you have and the car will not know it is a different key.....times this is needed is for different driver controls like seat locations and other settings.
Back