Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Does 2000 Mercury Mountaneer have a Factory Fuel Return Line

I have a 2000 mountaineer also. I would do these things Below, Check fuel pressure (on fuel rail middle top of motor passengers side.) Replaced fuel filter? Under drivers side inside frame rail. Depressurize the fuel system and then using the better fuel line disconeects remove the filter. Keep...
  2. S

Driving with a coolant leak from the timing cover

If you do replace the timing cover and the water pump has not been replaced before, prepare yourself as the water pump bolts are prone to breaking off. I did my water pump, timing chain, timing chain gasket, thermostat gasket, thermostat, serpentine belt, and the cooling fan as the fan had...
  3. S

Front differential cover removal???

I have gotten the used front differential installed. New motorcraft axle seals. I had purchased cv axles from advance Auto, CARQUEST brand. I reinstalled the front driver and passenger cv axles that were in the truck when new. No leaks on the bellhousing cover or axle seals, no more vibrations...
  4. S

It is a V8 awd. Tire size always used is 235/75/15. Tires replaced new two years ago. I don't mismatch tire brands it sizes as I know it can cause issues with awd
  5. S

I was able to get the cover off easy. I used some kroil spray and soaked the cover-case at the top twice. It was very easy to remove the cover. Upon opening the used differential, the gear oil was normal in appearance and no burn smell or signs of overheating. I replaced the two axle seals. The...
  6. S

I am getting ready to replace my failing front differential assembly. What is the best procedure to remove the front differential cover and not break the cast aluminum housing???? I have removed all the bolts. I read it is best to use Black RTV sealant when reinstalling the front differential...
  7. S

02 electric seat track power and ground wire???

I'm trying to help find a friend an electric seat track for an 02 explorer 4-door. Anyone have pictures of which two wires or colors inside the harness at the floorboard? I'm looking for the positive and negative wire. Many thanks!
  8. S

Diagnosing bad front differential and transfer case???? 2000 mountaineer 5.0 awd 225,000 miles

I will look at it this weekend. I can hear the pinion like a whirl sound at certain speeds. Thinking I will drop diff out and pop off front cover and look inside housing and go from there. If bad I'll get a replacement from a yard.
  9. S

Diagnosing bad front differential and transfer case???? 2000 mountaineer 5.0 awd 225,000 miles

I was thinking the grease was from the previous front shaft. Have you ever replaced the carrier bearings in the front diff tubes? The 4wd shop said typically the carrier bearings fail. Generally when they fail they crack or worse break the ends of the diff tubes apart.
  10. S

I had the front tires removed and the front two shafts had no support. I will test it again with the two front shafts supported on the bottom of the spindles. One other thing that I hear now and after the cv axles and hubs installed is that front driver side now has a squeaking sound. sounds...
  11. S

I searched on proper way to diagnose a bad front differential and/or transfer case before posting. When speaking to two separate 4wd shops they said never drive without the front shaft in as it will damage and cause the viscious coupling to fail??? Said driving more than a mile will cause...
  12. S

ford parts numbers lookup?

Seatbelt lower female clip buckle front driver and passenger side
  13. S

Rock auto will work on some ford parts. But older explorers parts are specific to a ford part number? Thanks
  14. S

Is there a website that you can plug in the year and model for an explorer or ford vehicle and get a part number for example a rear glass hinge? Other than calling the dealer every time?? Thanks
  15. S

00 explorer remove front 4wd differential??

That is good information. Thanks
  16. S

Do you know what size the bolt is that has the lock nut on top? Use a socket or wrench to get the bolt out? Any pictures of your removal? Thanks
  17. S

I am needing to remove and inspect the front gears on the differential. I know it is mounted in three places, Driver side one bolt. Passengers side one bolt. Underside frame is another bolt vertical. Anyone know the side of that bolt/nut? Also is it best to use a wrench or socket as it looks...
  18. S

Mountaineer removing front differential case?

I had seen on this forum that a person was rebuilding the front differential on their 00 ranger 4wd. I cannot find it. I found it when searching google but lost the address. Anyone know of a post on here on rebuilding the front differential on a 00 explorer or ranger? Thanks
  19. S

The axles are the original oem set. I have never replaced them. Guessing 20 years and towing a trailer and normally wear it is time.
  20. S

I have timken now and I can see movement at 3 and 9 position. If I did replace transfer case, I have seen some replace the chains. I have not seen the viscious couplings replaced. Local shop said if viscious coupling guess bad it is $750 for the part alone.bit looks like it is slinging grease...
  21. S

one other thing how can you make sure the viscious coupling is not bad in the awd transfer case?
  22. S

I just ordered two dorman axle hubs 951-010 and two Moog K8695T Lower ball joints.
  23. S

I am aware that the cheaper parts are junk and appreciate the help.
  24. S

Yes it has slop on both tires at 3 and 9 on the wheel bearings. I am going to replace the ball joints while I'm in there. I used the moog lower controls before and the rubber boot on both lower ball joints have tears. I want a grease fitting. Any suggestions for a brand? Thanks
Back