Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Scouting New Tires

For pavement only, I'd recommend Micheline A/S4 or Pirelli Weatheractive XL. Both have excellent tread wear. I had the Weatheractives installed last week and am very impressed.
  2. T

What is everyone using for a Factory Service Manual?

The online version has served me well and hasn't been shut down yet. https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_explorer_2020_service_manual-382.html I do have a pdf version with ~775mb. It is indexed and searchable but still not easy to find things.
  3. T

2022 Explorer Timberline Rear Struts Bad

Motorcraft rear shocks seem to leak oil. For many, it's dripping oil. On mine currently, it's more like sweat. Either way, you are going to have diminished performance. I wonder why Bilstein has replacement struts/shocks for the 5th gen but not the 6th gen. There certainly are plenty of...
  4. T

Hard transmission jerks

I'm hesitant to call cold start issues a problem unless it's egregious. My car's shifting is definitely not as smooth before the car is warmed up. Isn't that normal for all automatics?
  5. T

Forscan Lite and resetting modules

That's a lot of affected modules. Did you clear codes and see if they immediately come back? I check codes regularly. Seems that lost communication is quite common and not necessarily a thing to worry about. I usually reset codes and they don't come back immediately. A lot depends on if you...
  6. T

Issues post recall fix

Attached is the rear differential bushing replacement for police units that came out early 2023. I am sure the procedure is the same for the Ford Explorers that was issued a few months ago.
  7. T

Issues post recall fix

Is it a leak from the left rear axle seal? If so, then yes.
  8. T

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-2174

Congrats! I feel like this is the biggest liability for 2020-2021s. All the other problems will usually rear it's ugly head during the warranty period but the FADA failure might not. I'm at 85k miles and it still hasn't failed although has leaked 30k miles ago. Now you can rest easy that you...
  9. T

2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

The thing that gets me is Ford knows these AWD modules are faulty. People are now starting to report the codes in the TSB in greater numbers. Instead of the TSB repair, which would be the most cost-effective option, the dealers are just telling people their AWD module has failed and needs...
  10. T

Upgraded B&O System Sound Quality...

The B&O drivers are sadly standard Ford issue. Here's my mod that I did in conjunction with sound insulation in the door and trunk area, as well as powered sub. Overall, pretty satisfied without having to scrap the entire system...
  11. T

2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

For MY2020-2021 (builds 9/2019 - 12/2021), I suspect that grounding is the real culprit. Outside of the build dates specifieid in the TSB, you just do not hear of AWD modules going bad. If I were you, I'd try doing the TSB and grounding the specified lead on the harness to see if that works...
  12. T

2025 Platinum Question

Good points. Forgot about that. It begs the question though...why have the ST and ST-line? Why not just have the ST and make the 3.0L optional?
  13. T

2025 Platinum Question

If it's not mentioned in the order guide, I would assume they are NOT included. They were removed from the Platinum for 2022-2024 so I would assume they would be carrying over that decision. You may be able to install it yourself. MAY...
  14. T

This Came up on my Dash

When you suggest to reset BMS, do you mean reset as in getting a new battery and BMS needing reset? Or is this some sort of BMS rebooting...
  15. T

2024 ST: I think I'm gonna go for it

I would get the new tires and wait another year. The interior changes are, to me, worth waiting for. I use carplay exclusively too and cannot wait to get the larger screen and wireless carplay! The interior materials are much nicer. I could not see myself getting a new car that really is the...
  16. T

2025 Explorer Review by Blwnsmoke

Looks like the doors do not have the 3" driver or the tweeter so I'd assume they are putting them on the dash. That's an improvement in my book.
  17. T

Remote features disabled

My voltages were dropping and fluctuating. Repaced the BMS a few months ago, roughly at 80k miles. Since then, voltages stable and acting like it should. the BMS is relatively cheap too and an easy DIY.
  18. T

What is considered "normal" shift behavior?

I have a 2020 ST for what that's worth. Downshifting is smooth both coming to a stop and when I initiate it with the shift paddles (which I do often).
  19. T

I was merely suggesting that any harsh shift, in this case downshift, is not normal.
  20. T

Unless you feel a kick in the rear when it downshifts, it should be OK. Sounds like you aren't sure when it downshifts so is it even a problem? Thankfully, when I am coming to a stop or slow down, it's pretty smooth. However even with the latest PCM update, the partial throttle low gear...
  21. T

I believe I spotted a new Timberline - Pics

Dayemmm, so they are going with the Chinese Timberline! Hideous! https://www.carscoops.com/2023/01/how-does-chinas-2023-ford-explorer-timberline-f-l-compare-to-north-americas/
  22. T

2022 explorer ST wheel interchangeability,18'' wheels from Mustang ?

Also, don't forget hub bore size. Even 5th gen wheels don't fit on 6th gen explorers.
  23. T

2020 Explorer ST exhaust pipe disconnected

If not covered under warranty, another option would be the MRT H-pipe which replaces the midsection resonator. you just need to cut the pipe rearward of the resonator with a cutoff wheel or reciprocating saw. Not much louder than stock, and no drone. I have one.
  24. T

2020 Explorer ST exhaust pipe disconnected

Seems to be fairly common on the MY2020. Broken exhaust pipe at the midsection resonator or broken pipe right before the muffler.
  25. T

2020 PIU headlights - differences?

you can get a good look at PIU headlights on Ebay. Not tinted but housing behind lenses are blacked out with no chrome and no white strip DRL.
Back