Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Not long Someone who has done theirs more recently can probably answer more specifically. I did mine back in 2002! Jacking up the vehicle and setting up the jack stands takes longer than the actual torsion twist though as long as they are not jammed, rusted or stuck. Mine took longer since I...
  2. E

Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Not badly Not badly, just more of a firm ride. I liked the ride better than stock. In fact I found that it helped with corning and emergency maneuvers. Does not hurt your load carrying ability either. A little more jarring at slow speed in the rough, but better at higher speed wash board runs.
  3. E

Reviving my 95 finally after 2+ years!

Thanks You are right. I'll regret it if I sell! At least I paid my Elite dues today! Gotta start somewhere...
  4. E

Back Thanks for the kind words! It has been a long time. Still not much progress on the beast. Fixed the large leak, but there seems to be more so the X has been sitting in the side yard waiting its turn to be worked on. At this point all of the vehicles are being neglected as we replace the...
  5. E

O-Ring That's the one! Thanks ranger7ltr! Time for a trip to the dealer.
  6. E

Dart Wow. That's serious beast you are building! I'll have to come over and see it.
  7. E

Late in the day! Yes, I need to figure it out quickly as Carla test drove a Wrangler Unlimited yesterday and after 2 years parked its getting harder to justify keeping the X. Hoping someone has the answer to the gasket/o-ring question as nothing similar came in the gasket kit that I bought when...
  8. E

Leak Finally got back into it. Found a huge vaccum leak where metal tube running from what I think is the PCV (or EGR?) valve sits right over the driver's side exhaust manifold. Does this tube use some sort of gasket or rubber O-Ring where it fits into the upper intake manifold? I had...
  9. E

Back to Square 1 So almost the same results with a new MAF. Runs (rough) on its own if MAF disconnected, but barely runs with MAF connected. Seems to be just a little better with the new one, but not enough to justify the expense. With truck running and MAF disconnected the exaust is very...
  10. E

I appreciate the suggestions and it was definitely worth taking another swing at the cleaning if it could save some dough! Weird how all these parts that worked fine 2 years ago now are bad from just sitting... fuel pump, guages, maf,...
  11. E

Cleaning Well, I pulled the plug that had the non firing wire. The ceramic was cracked. Replaced it and the motor runs without the pop. Without the MAF hooked up it runs rough, but runs. Idles about 1400 and stays running in gear. Went to Radio Shack and bought the Electronics Cleaner...
  12. E

MAF Cleaning I did one more cleaning with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner. Think there would be any benefit from making a radio shack run for the electric parts cleaner and cleaning it again? Going to change the plug and see if I can at least eliminate the popping. All plugs black and sooty now...
  13. E

Any chance it could be a bad computer signal or other? Hate to spend another $100+ on another part if not necessary... Can they be repaired? Is it worth going to a junk yard or do they have a definite shelf life?
  14. E

Maf So I read back through the suggestions and tried Rick's idea of disconnecting the MAF connector. Started right up! Still runs rough from that #5 cylinder. I connected the MAF while it was running and it ran more smoothly. I could even put it in gear and it ran. Weird thing is that when...
  15. E

Plug? Would a single bad plug keep it from starting? I know it would contribute to the popping. Checked the firing order and checked plug wires. At first it seemed as though only #1 and #4 were firing, so I thought the coil pack might be bad, but all but #5 are firing now. If I run the #5...
  16. E

Sea Foam I'll give it a try. At this point I'd do a sea foam dance if it would make a difference! Thanks.
  17. E

No luck Took a couple tries to get the correct unit with the correct connector. Of course, mine was the more expensive one! No luck though. It won't start now at all. Back to the drawing board.
  18. E

The Seafoam is what toasted the IAC. Helped the MAF I think though. Have new plugs and injectors, but probably time for new wires. Noticed that you are from Alaska? Beautiful state. Have been to the Anchorage area a few times for work. Wish your Gov. would have made the VP spot!
  19. E

Fuel System Fuel System should be good to go. New fuel pump and filter. Although since the truck has been idle, the needle on the indicator seems to be stuck at "F"...? All the other gauges seem to be working. Strange how the fuel pump went bad just sitting there and now this rough running...
  20. E

Hi Rick, If it was not the IAC before, it is now after I tried to clean it... Only idles now when the IAC is disconnected. Going to let it dry out and see if it works again in the AM. If not, I'll get a new one and see where we stand. Don't understand the popping though. Checked the plug wires...
  21. E

Worse! Well, the engine idled (mostly) after some cleaning of MAF. Still very rough and popping. Won't rev smoothly either. Tried to clean the IAC but made it worse! Then would not start at all. Disconnected connection to IAC and now it will idle but dies upon any kind of throttle touch...
  22. E

Hey Rick! That's really funny. HI to Char from Carla. Its Rick by the way! We're closer to you now (if you have not moved...) We are at 43rd and Grovers. The Explorer has not changed a bit from when you last saw it except that its a storage bin...
  23. E

Fuel Pressure Pressure at 40psi at 1500rpm. Drops to 35 range at lower rpms. Starts right up on first turn but even at 1500 it is rough and pops. Need to hold pedal at 3/4 down to keep it steady. Anything less and it begins to die.
  24. E

Finally trying to get back in the game. The X has been waiting patiently in the garage for almost two years. Put on rebuilt heads after an injector failed and a lean condition ate a plug and spit it out a valve. Pistons seemed fine and no scoring on walls. When I first got it back...
  25. E

Help: Need to buy cylinder heads... Where?

I did get the heads. I am not sure about the quality yet as I just found the time to install them. Still need to complete intake installation. The company tried to charge me for both cores saying that they were both cracked, but when I asked for both back, they called back saying that only one...
Back