Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Explorer bangs into gear after hard stops

08 Explorer V6 4WD, 5R55, 25,000 original miles. I got the truck from the original owner a few months ago with 22k and immediately did a transmission drain and fill with Mercon V. I also replaced the filter and put a new pan and drain plug on it. Anyways, whenever I come to an abrupt stop or...
  2. E

Will changing my timing chain tensioners do more bad than good?

Update* Here we are a little over a month later. The startup rattle is definitely much better on cold start but I still get the occasional startup rattle now and then. I definitely think it was worth changing for the small price you pay.
  3. E

06 timing chain rattle

Check my thread. Tensioners helped somewhat mitigate my cold start rattle, but not completely. During operations however, since changing my tensioners, I have no more rattle. Will changing my timing chain tensioners do more bad than good?
  4. E

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Wow. Back when I had my '15 XLT, whenever I'd floor it it'd stink like crazy afterwards for a number of minutes. I always thought it was going to catch fire or something. Also, I used to get nauseous from extended periods of driving. Now I know why. I haven't owned another vehicle that has done...
  5. E

06 timing chain rattle

They did update many of the timing components by 2006, but they never updated the rear guides. Unfortunately, even with the updated components, many of these engines wound up having timing related issues. How loud is your rattle?
  6. E

Update. The truck isn't rattling on startup like it was the first day I did the tensioners. Cold started it in 35° F tonight with little rattle. No more rattling when the engine is very cold either after startup. Rattle on acceleration is completely gone, though I hear little "ticks" on...
  7. E

Solved 2006 Ford Explorer. Won’t crank.

As others have said, check the starter. Also, check your anti theft light on top of the dash board. If it's flashing rapidly after you try and crank it the problem lays within the anti theft system. I had both of these problems with my 07. The key randomly lost programming and the truck would...
  8. E

Front tensioner is in. The removal and installation process was pretty straightforward. I started by removing the pins that hold the coolant temp sensor and a small plastic plug next to it. Then, I removed the those two parts. When I did this some anti freeze came spilling out so I put a cup on...
  9. E

Engine in Limp Home Mode, CEL and Wrench lights on?

Sounds exactly like whats happening with mine. Wires leading up to the MAF (and numerous other connectors) were rotting away. It would stall at random as well. When I replaced the pigtail harness leading up to the MAF it was running better than ever. Shortly after, back to the same old, minus...
  10. E

Engine in Limp Home Mode, CEL and Wrench lights on?

This. This is a problem from late 06 to early 08 from what I gathered. My engine wiring harness is completely destroyed due to rotting insulation. My wrench lights and CEL illuminate out of nowhere occasionally, presumably due to this. When that happens, the truck goes into limp home mode and...
  11. E

Update. I replaced my rear chain tensioner with a new Motorcraft part. I unclipped a smaller portion of the inner fender and cut it slightly to get better clearance. In general, it was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting clearance to the rear tensioner. Also, I had a small issue with the...
  12. E

I think yours might be too far gone (as in you need chain replacement). Does it rattle at idle too?
  13. E

Electrical issues and swaying issues

My right rear shock is leaking and is bad. Coupled with the others have said here, I believe thats the reason why the rear end is stepping out the way it does. Your welcome in regards to the electrical issues. Mine has had so many lol
  14. E

2007 4.0 SOHC 4WD. I know this topic has been beaten to death but when I cold-start my truck I have a slight rattle which goes away very quickly (unless its REALLY cold out then it lasts a little longer). When the truck warms up the engine is super quiet and has good power. The only other thing...
  15. E

Electrical issues and swaying issues

I have the same issue with my 2007 in regards to the rear end stepping out when I hit a manhole cover. In regards to the electrical issues, my 2007 is also plagued with them. The engine wiring harness on these 06-08 Explorers are prone to deteriorating prematurely and the coating literally...
  16. E

Rotting wires, was my Explorer a lemon?

2007 4.0L SOHC XLT. About to roll 123,000 miles. I really like this truck but it has been plagued with electrical issues since the day I got it. I am the second owner (was an umarked police car, got it from a police auction) and purchased it at 119k. Anyways, when I bought it, it was discovered...
  17. E

Life expectancy for 4.0 SOHC

Old thread, I know but I have a friend with a ‘97 Sport 4.0 SOHC who’s at 175k on the original chains which are slapping around like crazy and making so much noise that it sounds like it would grenade at any given moment. He still takes it on interstate road trips without hesitation and it still...
  18. E

Vent airflow

I’m having the same problem. I don’t know what the issue is. I swapped out the blower and resistor as I was getting a heavy electronic burning smell from the vents. The blower is just as weak as it was before. As you said, nearly nothing comes out of the vents closest to the doors on either side...
  19. E

Weak Blower and Strange Smell From the Vents

Hello everyone, when I bought my ‘07 Explorer the HVAC only worked on the highest speed. I changed out the blower motor resistor and got all four speeds back, however, the blower felt really weak. Eventually I started getting a heavy electronic burning smell from the vents and nearly nothing was...
  20. E

2007 Ford Explorer Intermittent Stalling Issue

Thank you to all those who replied. The truck smelled like it was running really rich so we tested the catalytic converters and they were fine. Then, I plugged in a scanner and it showed that the voltage for one of the O2 sensors was all over the place. Went under the truck and noticed that the...
  21. E

2007 Ford Explorer Intermittent Stalling Issue

Hello all, my 2007 Explorer XLT 4.0 has developed an issue where the vehicle will intermittently stall. When this happens, the check engine light flashes and the oil pressure light comes on. Usually, it will start right back up but sometimes it will only crank. When it only cranks, if I wait a...
Back