Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

What's this sound?

I will take a pic of where the sound is loudest. I sounds like something making contact with the flywheel in an on and off, almost pulsing, manner. As mentioned, I will rerecord from a bit further away so the sound is more distinct. Thanks
  2. R

What's this sound?

Eddie, Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get a better sample and check if it happens when going into over drive. Is there any other way to test the torque converter?
  3. R

Fuel saving tire's(Low rolling resistence)

IMO, the lower resistance tires just have a smoother tread. To that end I'd have to recommend the Firestone Destination tires. They wear like iron and are very quiet. I never bought Firestone before until the Exp. I must say I'm very impressed.
  4. R

What's this sound?

Hi all, I asked this question before and in an attempt to address and was told the sound was a noisy torque converter. However, a few people told me it wasn't so. So..... I've recorded the sound and uploaded to FileDen. This noise started with my '02 not long after new...maybe a year or...
  5. R

General consensus on tires

...and highly regarded @ Tirerack. I put a set of Destinations on the Ex and a set of Pirelli P4 All-seasons on another car at the same time, two years ago. Two of the Pirellis are shot and all four of the Desinations look new...(While there is a difference in miles driven the contrast is...
  6. R

Warming Up In cold Weather??

Synthetic oil is far superior to dino oil as it retains it's viscosity at temperature extremes.
  7. R

Warming Up In cold Weather??

My 4.6 warms up in a seemingly "normal" amount of time. One factor is the outside temp. Another consideration is, if you had your Ex running for 5 minutes on a frigid morning, hopped in and it was still cold then you'd at least have a head start on seeing heat come from the vents.
  8. R

How many miles with fully synthetic?

As I mentioned, I do not subscribe to the extending oil change intervals by too long a period. Where did the sludge come from? It had to be from the synthetic oil. Quote from www.NordicGroup.US: How Sludge Forms "As explained above, modern detergent oils suspend contaminants so they do not...
  9. R

2003 Hatch Applica' cracked

My second piece cracked and it ain't gettin' fixed. Someone should come up with a reasonably priced and attractive molding to disguise the crack. They'd do well saleswise.
  10. R

How many miles with fully synthetic?

After many, many discussions over the years, on various forums, I'd have to agree with Exproblems. As mentioned, synthetic oils vary in properties and qualities between brands. While certain positive traits remain intact longer in the typical full synthetic, in time they also suspend and...
  11. R

Where can I buy the bsi

If not BSI then there's a metal shoulder in the shift mechanism that has to be filed down to allow smooth operation. There's a thread on the procedure. If I can find I'll post. UPDATE: Here's the thread I spoke of: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274187&highlight=bsi
  12. R

Rear Wheel Bearing Hubs

Ignis, the bearings are quite large. I'd be surprised if you find a socket that size. Also, wood will crush under the required pressure. Please be careful with a homemade press. Remember, this operation had our press at it's absolute limit. The machinist doing the work was at the edge of his...
  13. R

cup holder inserts

The attached pic shows the two, round inserts for the front cup holders....along with the other inserts... (Item #: 160695054843 @ $9.00 + $5.00 ship for the set)
  14. R

Rear Wheel Bearing Hubs

I'm going to guess that a floor jack may not be the way to go and could be dangerous. Even with an arbor press we had to scour the shop for the appropriate scraps to use as adapters. We wanted everything to fit together precisely for the pressing operation. Some here have had good luck by...
  15. R

Rear Wheel Bearing Hubs

Sure, if you have at least a 15 ton arbor press. I removed the hub assemblies (w/ 90k miles) and had my bearings pressed out here at work in our machine shop. The 15 ton press was maxed out when we finally heard a loud pop. I didn't think we were going to be able to get them out.
  16. R

Am I the only one who's windows freeze shut?

As we all know Glycol is what's in anti freeze. Winshield De-icer and Gas "Anti-freeze" additives usually have very high concentrations of Alcohol / Methanol, which evaporates very quickly. You probably don't want to use on your paint for extended periods of time either. A google search showed...
  17. R

Whining, scrubbing noise

Sounds like it may be your front wheel bearing. Check this out: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194002
  18. R

Parking brake

As mentioned it may merely be an adjustment. It could also be the brake shoe media becoming unbonded from the metal shoe backing/bracket. This is very common. Time to pull the wheel off.
  19. R

replacing 02 sensors

If replacing the O2 Sensors then consider using Bosch Universal sensors. Many parts stores carry them and they're much less expensive. With "Universal" units you clip the connector off your old sensors and use the included (waterproof) splice to attach to the new sensor. I replaced 4 sensors...
  20. R

General consensus on tires

I went with the Firestone Destinations (17"). First Firestones I ever bought and I'm very impressed, especially for the price.
  21. R

Alarm will not stop going off!

This was happening to me, typically in the middle of the night. Turned out to be the Door (ajar) switch. Do a search on how to clean with electrical contact cleaner or WD-40 and see if it helps.
  22. R

RockAuto.com closeout prices 2002 Explorer

Some great prices there. Thanks. Anyone thinking of doing rear brakes or rear bearings should consider the E-Brake shoes. They're pricey pieces.
  23. R

Window Issue

Rondo: I wish I knew you needed this. I have a place that sells Dorman regulators with free "overnight" shipping for $59. I may also have a coupon code for a discount. I did my pass side front and it works great.
Back