Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Brem95

Shifting issues 97 sport OHV

I had the shop install the transmission twice so I’m thinking so but I’ll get some clarification. It happened with the original clutch and transmission as well. It only happens when I downshift or coast in gear or reverse. As for starter gear I’m not sure but I’ll look into it. Thank you
  2. Brem95

Shifting issues 97 sport OHV

Good morning everyone, I’m tired of throwing parts at my 97 explorer ohv 5 speed manual. I have replaced Transmission x2 times Clutch Throw out bearing Master cylinder When I downshift and try and put a load on the engine I get a zzzzz sound which often raises rpm until I give it more gas...
  3. Brem95

Towing setup questions

I added helper springs and beefier suspension at the rear.
  4. Brem95

Towing setup questions

Thanks everyone, bought a used 1450lb trailer. Forgot to mention my 5 speed manual has a reman. transmission that was put in under a year ago. Only “rough” terrain will be pulling off the side of road to get down to camping spot.
  5. Brem95

Towing setup questions

Hello I have the m5r1 with 4.1 gear ratio.
  6. Brem95

Towing setup questions

Good afternoon everyone, hope all is well. I have a 97 sport 5 speed ohv and was wondering if I can get real world towing experiences. I’m looking at getting a 1500-2000ish pound pop up tent trailer and want to be able to bring it to the mountains. I find differing opinions with this specific...
  7. Brem95

Transfer case tag compatibility

Thanks, just a little apprehensive swapping over. I think I’ll take the crappy one out and compare the internals just to be sure. Internals of the donor part look great!
  8. Brem95

Thanks I just sent Adam a email!
  9. Brem95

Good afternoon, hope everyone is doing well! I have a pooched transfer case on my 97 explorer 5 speed OHV, and a donor transfer case in great condition from I believe a 99-2000 sport. Visually they look identical but struggling to find any info to see if they’d be compatible. All connections...
  10. Brem95

Solved Roof rack part identification

The local yard didn’t have any this time :(
  11. Brem95

ISO 97 explorer sport Ford Roof Rack Support F67z 7855140 AAA

Looking for 1 or all 4 of the plastic roof rack supports for my 97 explorer sport. Below is the part number for the driver front plastic support Thanks Ford Roof Rack Support F67z 7855140 AAA
  12. Brem95

Ford Roof Rack Support F67z 7855140 AAA If anyone is selling I have posted a ISO thread.
  13. Brem95

good afternoon guys and gals, just curious if anyone has a part number or exact name for this part? Unfortunately it snapped when putting my roof basket on top. I’m looking to replace this plastic mounting part but I can’t find locally for my 2 door 97 sport. There’s a number on bottom but no...
  14. Brem95

Slip on rocker question

I’m hoping to just hide the rust and give the silver moulding something to clip into. I don’t want to put big money into the body :/
  15. Brem95

Slip on rocker question

Happy Friday! I’m doing a bunch of mechanical work on the vehicle but also want it to look half decent. I was going to replace both rockers and I was wondering if someone can tell me if this would be covered by the slip on rocker or is it getting into the body panels? I know little about body...
  16. Brem95

Tranny sounds

Update: seems to mostly just be when I downshift to 2nd from 3rd or let off gas and coast in 2nd, Same with overdrive. It stays in gear but it makes a zzzzzz sound... it stays in gear and the sound goes away if I give it some gas. This doesn’t happen if I’m more aggressive with the shift and...
  17. Brem95

Tranny sounds

Thanks, I’m not sure if some of this sound is normal with it being a 20+ year old manual transmission vehicle. Maybe I’m expecting it to operate like a more modern transmission. I typically take it out of gear and coast to lights etc but I do want the option to engine brake. This typically only...
  18. Brem95

Tranny sounds

Just replaced my clutch, flywheel pilot bearing but I’m continue to get bzzzzz sounds when I try and put a load on the engine in gear. Ex. Coasting to light in 2nd gear to slow down, in gear going down large hill at high speeds. when I give it gas the sound will go away, and it stays in gear...
  19. Brem95

Help diagnose backup clunk?

Update- could this be bad synchros? Any input?
  20. Brem95

I believe it’s coming from front, rear dif fluid has been changed, transfer case is leaking slowly at the shaft seal which I fill up and will be continuing to fill up occasionally until I start the rebuild on a donor tc I have this winter. Tranny fluid has also been changed a year ago and no...
  21. Brem95

Hello, I just have a quick question, I asked something similar before but now I have it pinned down. When Vehicle is cold and I back up (1997 sport 5 speed manual) I sometimes hear a clunk then a “zzzzzzzz” sound but still reverses. I normally pop it out of gear and put back into reverse even...
  22. Brem95

Loose sway bar links

Thanks I’ll make sure to check every week and snug up after the first month or so. For the most part my off roading is very minimal... mostly when I go camping and have to go through abandoned logging roads or mud
  23. Brem95

Loose sway bar links

Went to remove the sway bar end links, snapped the bolt... brought them to my local auto parts store and they replaced them. Torqued them a bit over the 18ft/p that it called for.
  24. Brem95

Loose sway bar links

Thanks for the info, I have soaked it with pb blaster and I’ll try and tighten them up but I’m thinking I should just replace them? Maybe rock auto has the oem ones. I think the replacements are poly but not 100% sure.
  25. Brem95

Loose sway bar links

Good afternoon, I hope everyone is doing well. I just came back from a 3000km roadtrip with my 97 explorer and it went well except for a couple issues. One issue I noticed after driving on many crappy logging roads was a metallic clank in the front end. I did some digging and noticed that both...
Back