Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

ST Street Pack vs Track Pack High Performance Package

I posted some details about in a different thread. In short, as the diameter of the rim increases, the width of the tire sidewall generally decreases. The good news (again generally) is that a narrower distance between the ground to the edge of the rim means better handling. The bad news is...
  2. J

I was just watching a YouTube from Raitis Rides, and at about 2:50 into the video it says that you will get performance shock absorbers and springs with what I think he means is the High Performance Package - said the same set up as on the police interceptor. That would better justify why the...
  3. J

2020 Off-Road Experiences

Moa Moab, certainly not, but here are some numbers to consider i collected from several places: As a high benchmark, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has the following: For example, the all-new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has an industry-leading approach angle of 44 degrees, break-over angle of 27.8...
  4. J

Thanks, as you say, I could add them on at any time if I think they are important.
  5. J

My guess is that they were not helpful enough on the 2011 to be worth installing on the 2017. Correct?
  6. J

Possible Quality Poll

Very interesting approach. I recently had a lease on a 2017 less than $30k Fusion. What a great car for the $$$. Around the same time I purchased a 2017 GT350 and it had several paint problems with it - other than that it was a great car but more than twice what the fusion sticker was. I...
  7. J

One additional question, though it is of broader interest than off-road or the ST. You can order the 2020 Explorer (I assume all models) with mud flaps.Has anyone done this? Do they make a difference?
  8. J

Possible Quality Poll

Thanks for this. I agree, at 60K there is good value in the ST, if it has a reasonable build quality. To get a similarly equipped BMW, Mercedes, or Audi, you would have a list price about 80K. Having owned new examples from each of these makers, the quality --- at least in my experience is...
  9. J

Possible Quality Poll

Thanks, I appreciate that the group of people in a forum like this is a small subset of the entire group of the car buying public. I do think price is relevant though. If I pay 20K for a car today, I would have on set of expectations about quality. If I pay $60K or more then I have a higher...
  10. J

Possible Quality Poll

Thanks for this. I read each of the posts there. There are only two pages worth and there was a recent one, but before that let last was August. Perhaps a survey is not a good idea, but there seems more wrong with these from posts than the Delivery issues post. I was 90% committed to the XT...
  11. J

Possible Quality Poll

I guess I owe this forum a thank you for making me aware of some of the quality problems. Until I started reading this, I had a positive view of Fords/quality based on my experience with several of them over the years. None were the first year production of a new design though. I don't plan on...
  12. J

Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen.

Thank you very much. On page 116 it says the tachometer is configurable if you have the 12inch information display. I believe they mean the one where the speedometer is, not the one that they call the information and entertainment display that comes in two versions, stock and the one in the...
  13. J

Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen.

My question is about #3. I know in sport mode there is a tachometer. When I went for a test ride, I did not see it in other drive modes. Did I miss something, or is this configurable. If it is, can you point me to the section in the owners manual please?
  14. J

Thanks very much. I found a way to calculate the tire sidewall height which I think is the thing that matters. Here are the results: The ST with the Street Pack: 275/45r21 10.82677*.45= 4.8720 Standard ST 255/55R20. 10.039370*.55 =5.5216 As a point of comparison, the Subaru Outback is...
  15. J

I plan on getting the Street Pack so that lowers the profile a bit. I just went back to the Ford site for the build I am working on and beyond 21" rims, it does not specify tire size. Pretty poor documentation. Do you know what the 21s are?
  16. J

Yes, I will be trading an Outback for the Explorer and live in a place where there are some pretty rough roads, so I wanted to make sure the ST is at least as good as the Outback, allowing for the .4 inch difference which is not much. The lower profile tires on the ST are a bit of an issue...
  17. J

Thanks very much. It is interesting that the one you would think is least trail-worthy has the most ground clearance - though not by much.
  18. J

One quick follow up to this. when I look at the specs is says 7.9 to 8.3 inches for ground clearance. Is this unloaded vs. Loaded?
  19. J

I am interested in experiences taking any model of the 2020 off road. I hope/assume that it is at least as good as the Outback even though it has about 1/2 inch less ground clearance.
  20. J

I was just reading that some trim levels (but apparently not the ST) have available self sealing tires. That would be nice. It appears that all models have a spare though.
  21. J

I think that is right, from what I have seen so far, the standard is 20" machined w/painted accents aluminum Wheels. I wonder how much difference there is between the 20 and 21 inch wheels in terms of strength and likelihood of pothole or rock damage.
  22. J

I need some advice about which of these to order. For financial reasons I plan on ordering in about 60 days. I test drove an ST the other day with the Street Pack. I have read/heard that the upgraded brakes were hard to modulate. They seemed perfectly fine to me. I live in a mountainous...
  23. J

2020 Platinum Headlights

Thanks very much. That was a fast clear answer, I appreciate it. It surprising and disappointing to me that such a great feature is on cars a bit more than 1/2 the price of an Explorer XLT. I am not sure if it will rule the car out for me or not since it has other good features (like 400 HP).
  24. J

2020 Platinum Headlights

I am considering a 2020 Explorer XLT and have read a couple of threads and am still confused about the headlights. Can anyone confirm for the 2020 Explorer XT is LED high and low beams are standard or not. If not, the only package that I see that might include them is the technology package...
  25. J

Newbie looking at 2020 Explorer XT

I have had a bunch of Fords over the years from an Expedition to a GT350. I am very interested in the 2020 Explorer XT but have some questions. I will be posting in that group.
Back