Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Do these things need two batteries?

My 2020 Hybrid Limited has 24,000 mile on it now and my daily commute is 20 minutes and 6.1 miles one way. Some tanks I've managed to get to 50% electric miles on the commute so the engine runs even less time. I've never had a problem with the main 12V battery not being charged enough since...
  2. R

What does the Aux battery (in rear storage area) power?

I got an answer from the service department: The under-hood 12V battery is the normal start/run battery The 450V Hybrid battery lives under the R middle passenger seat to power the hybrid motor Rear mini 12V battery in the rear storage area on the left side under the cupholder/storage bin is...
  3. R

Roof rack weight limit - can't handle two kayaks due to moonroof?

I found these images in the Ford Emergency Response Guide for Explorer and Aviator Hybrids that show the roof structural elements for the regular and moon roof versions.
  4. R

What does the Aux battery (in rear storage area) power?

My 2020 Hybrid is in getting a "Service Charging System Soon" error that ended up being a blown fuse protecting the Auxiliary battery (motorcycle sized) in the rear of the truck. Anybody know what it powers? I've had the error for a while but the engine starts and restarts normally and all...
  5. R

Rearview Camera Recall 21C09

Yes, my camera went intermittent last week and the dealer replaced it no problem as a warranty issue. I learned to hold Power and Volume Down at the same to to force a hard reset of the Sync system to get GPS back.
  6. R

2020 Hybrid Hypermiling tips?

I guess paying attention a bit more makes a difference, where I was getting ~10% electric mileage I've gotten my electric miles up to 40% of the trip total. I'm now a bit more aggressive in lifting off the throttle to encourage engine shutoff.
  7. R

worry about new 2020 explorer limited (transmission)

I picked up my 2020 Limited Hybrid AWD model at the end of December 2019 and it has over 17.000 miles on it now with no transmission problems. I checked and the owners manual recommends 6k mile oil changes for operation in extremely hot environments and only 5K miles in dusty conditions...
  8. R

Self driving setting on new Explorer

I did a 4,400 mile Epic Road Trip last summer and used AAC and lane keeping constantly. They made 400+ mile travel days tolerable for a solo driver. I always keep one hand on the wheel but both feet are flat on the floor, no need to hover over the accelerator or brake pedals. My biggest...
  9. R

3rd battery in a hybrid???

Answers!!! The Aux power battery is in the left rear storage area behind the 3rd row seats. I found the battery icon in the plastic cover when I looked closely, and this Ford Emergency Response Guide shows more detail, including the exact location of the hybrid traction battery...
  10. R

The dealership said there were no scan codes, that's part of why they still have it... Plus, I had been operating the truck every day.
  11. R

My 2020 Limited Hybrid is in the shop, it kept throwing red "Low Battery Charge" warnings at startup. The techs say the battery in the engine compartment and the hybrid power battery under the seats are both OK, the 'other' battery that appears to support the electronics package has failed...
  12. R

Roof rack weight limit - can't handle two kayaks due to moonroof?

Not just weight, the hole for the moonroof reduces the strength of the roof and resistance to twisting under load. If you tweak the moonroof opening by twisting the body you will get a hard-to-fix leak.
  13. R

2020 hybrid engine setting

I run in Eco mode all the time and have a pretty light foot, the best I've seen is about 30% battery miles for in town driving. One thing I noticed is you have to lift off the throttle and start slowing down before the engine shuts off, but if you are *very* gentle you can get up to 40 mph for...
  14. R

That was once..... I've hit 500m total range a few times with mostly highway miles but normally run with about 400m total range for in-town commuting.
  15. R

If I recall correctly that tank was 0% Ethanol....
  16. R

On a road trip to Yellowstone this summer I saw >400 mile range with 208 miles on the tank so I'm pretty happy with the system as-is. I routinely got 30mpg driving our Escape hybrid where my wife would only see 26-28 so one of us has a lighter foot :). Going from ~40mpg in the Fusion to...
  17. R

I've been driving hybrids for a while. We got an Escape hybrid, then I leased a Fusion Ti Hybrid (not Energi) model for 3 years, and now I have the 2020. I've been trying to hypermile it but day to day I only see about 10% of my miles are electric, where I was regularly over 40% in the Fusion...
  18. R

Miles to empty going up

Going from in-town to highway driving I've seen this all the time. It is most noticeable on a full tank. MTE is calculated using the latest consumption rate, not the long-term average rate.
  19. R

Disfunctional Voice Control of Navigation

I recently lost voice control then all audio in my Limited Hybrid while on a road trip. After troubleshooting the dealer had to do a full factory reset then load a couple of software updates. I got the unit in late December 2019 and the shipped version would not connect to my home wifi so I...
  20. R

What is your MPG?

My personal best of 635 total mileage was on a recent trip in Wyoming with pure gas (no Ethanol). A lot of low/mid speed driving between Jackson and Yellowstone.
  21. R

Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen.

Level of outside noise control. We drove by a street performer playing a violin and couldn't hear anything, even with the radio off.
  22. R

2020 Explorer Limited Hybrid Production

12/30 and I finally have it! Sticker says built 10/19 and the small print looks like 10/24 for the actual date. They received a 2nd hybrid with a different option package. Best news was $3k in discounts and zero interest for 36 months with a down payment I could handle.
  23. R

Today 12/26 it is "In California" per my dealer. They are trying to expedite getting it to them before the end of the year... Here's hoping.
  24. R

Well. my 7/21 ordered Hybrid AWD w towing package is supposed to be delivered 12/24, 17 day predicted transit time to Southern California. It went "In Production" on 11/4 according to shop.ford.com tracking, I will report the actual build date when I pick the it up.
  25. R

I hope you don't have to wait as long as others have. My Explorer's blend date was 10/25/19 and it went In Production on 11/4 but didn't start transit until 12/7. Delivery is estimated as 12/24.
Back