Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Question for the Masses

I agree, I asked them about the rancho setup and they quoted me 2x more than the prices I was seeing online... huge flag. Now it makes me wonder if they "really" had a issue on adjusting my alignment. I'm looking at my trusty Chilton manual and it looks like there are some components that should...
  2. M

Question for the Masses

Great info! I had the alignment done today and it appears that they could not adjust my rear driver side due to strut wear. My vehicle is pushing 185,000mi so I'm not surprised, I have been looking at the Rancho quick lift for a while now. They quoted me about $1400 to put new struts on, what...
  3. M

Question for the Masses

Yeah, I dug further into it and it would make sense that it would not make a significant difference considering that the xlt and Eddie Bauer edition is running the 245 70 16. I just had them installed yesterday before our big snow storm and I'm scheduled for a wheel alignment this afternoon...
  4. M

Question for the Masses

Hi guys, Been a while since I've been here, I got a question that may have been asked here before. I'm due for new tires on my Explorer I would like to put bfgoodrich all terrains on it. The vehicle is a 2002 xls so she is running her stock size 235 70r 16, I would like to step it up to the xlt...
  5. M

K&N Cold Air Intake System

Thanks for the reply! One other thing that I found is that I may risk fouling up the MAF sensor if the filter is not maintained properly. As tempting as it is I cannot justify spending around $350 dollars for a system that is only going to potentailly cause problems. I have no intention of...
  6. M

K&N Cold Air Intake System

Sorry if this is something that has been posted before, I'm new here!! Well fellas I got my Flowmaster Cat system and Gibson exhaust installed on my xls 4.0. Thank God my buddy's nabe had a lift, I don't think we would have been able to properly get the system installed without it. Although the...
  7. M

Ford Transfercase Fluid

I have always used what was recommended via the manual and never had a issue. Considering the mileage I have on mine I don't see why it would need to be replaced with something else? Just my luck the moment I put something else in it,....BOOM!!!
  8. M

Ford Transfercase Fluid

Hey Guys, What is your opinions on using this fluid in place of the original Mercon V recommendation for the transfercase? I was told by the Ford parts guy that although the owners manual says to use Mercon V, Ford had found that using the transmission fluid for transfercases was damaging them...
  9. M

2003 ford explorer xlt windows not working

Which windows are not working and what are they doing or not doing? If the window regulator(s) are not damaged from being worn more than likely it could be the "command center" controls on the driverside. I have seen the individual switch for that window get damaged from wear and tear or from...
  10. M

Crap, Time for a new Cat System

Recently I had replaced all cooling components water pump, complete thermostat housing assembly, hoses etc. Plus I had replaced the front main seal and the harmonic balancer with the newer designed one that Ford recommended. Considering the newer design of the balancer I also put a new crank...
  11. M

2005 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0 V6 issues

On mine it is mounted to the top of the throttle body.
  12. M

Right on James, I do know that on my 02 4.0 the IAC is mounted to the throttle body. Based on my Explorer 2002- 2006 service manual I had assumed they all had the same setup. Good luck. Merlin
  13. M

Crap, Time for a new Cat System

After all the work I had been doing on the Explorer, I got the dreaded engine light. OBD stated it was the left bank Cat, I changed out all my o2 sensors considering the vehicle has 178,000 mi. All was good until this morning the engine light came back on, so I went ahead and ordered the...
  14. M

I had the same issue years ago on my 02 xls, no engine light the scanner readings were normal?!? I replaced my plugs and wires considering that they had over 50,000mi on them. Then I noticed that the rough idle issue seemed to happen on cold starts, she acted as if she wanted to stall out at...
  15. M

Mercon V vs LV??

Right, as far as the exhaust system I would install it myself. The only reason I bring the Explorer in for the transmission is because it was new and installed by Ford.
  16. M

Mercon V vs LV??

Yes, and now I can press on and look into replacing my exhaust system. I was looking at Flowmaster Cat setup and Gibsons exhaust.:burnout:
  17. M

Mercon V vs LV??

:(,... Well, at least I caught it. Now that I have been here 2hrs I would be interested in how they are resolving this. Plus when it boils down to the paper trail, I would also be interested in how Ford would handle this situation.:wtf:
  18. M

Mercon V vs LV??

Right, I feel like my tranny is now contaminated. My buddy said basically the same thing, he said that Ford does not mess around when it comes down to their reputation.
  19. M

Mercon V vs LV??

Follow up, I got in touch with the Stealership first thing this morning, the Service manager had said that he had spoken to their transmission guy and parts guy. They said that just as long as it had been 100% flushed and replaced with that fluid that it would be fine?? I told the guy that...
  20. M

Mercon V vs LV??

Well I hope there is no damage done considering. I live on the other side of town so when I left the dealer I put about 40 miles on it before I noticed when I got home. I tried to call them and of course they were closed.
  21. M

Mercon V vs LV??

Larry H. Miller Ford. The service writer tried to insist they had no record of my last service there, I told him I do. Good thing I keep a file on this vehicle, I had a new transmission installed by Ford when it had 108,000+. The vehicle now is 178,000+, the first flush was at 130,000 and I had...
  22. M

Mercon V vs LV??

Hi guys, I just took my Explorer to the Stealership for a transmission fluid flush. It took them about 3hrs to get the job done, the service writer came to me and asked who worked on it last because the drain plug was stripped?? I said you guys did, nobody else will touch that transmission...
  23. M

My 2002 Explorer xls won't start.

Follow up, I took a half day today and put the old crank sensor on and behold it fired up!! Once the vehicle reached operating temperature the idle started to bog and studder then she died?? I disconnected the battery again to reset the pcm and let it cool down, started back up and once it...
  24. M

Thanks. I do need to get my hands on one, I plan on talking with the guys at work to see if they have one. I am a electronics tech by trade not a mechanic, so my automotive tools are limited.
  25. M

Thanks for cleaning up my post! Yes, the fuel pump does engage. It is hard to determine if there is a engine light when trying to start it up. The harmonic balancer is the newer design I don't know if the pcm needs to be recalibrated for it.
Back