Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

How best to identify and deal with worn out wheel bearings

I went with loaded knuckles as all the info I found stated replacing just the rear bearings was a nightmare because of corrosion issues. Dorman was all I could find last year so I've got those on both sides in the rear. I was hesitant because of Dorman's reputation but the parts were nicely...
  2. I

Front Wheel/Axle Noise

Yes this is very true!
  3. I

Front Wheel/Axle Noise

See my recent post on this topic: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/humming-or-roaring-noise-gets-louder-with-speed-solved.487930/
  4. I

Humming or Roaring Noise Gets Louder with Speed Solved

I posted here months ago seeking help on a hum/roar. The noise started at ~30mph and got louder with speed and was coming from the front of the vehicle. I've heard and experienced the feel of bad front hubs before, and these symptoms checked all the boxes, so in went two new Motorcraft front...
  5. I

New Guy Here!!! '08 Explorer V6 Limited 4WD

It turned out to be the rear passenger wheel bearing. I had been making attempts to get rid of that rumble for 8 months and finally the fourth and final wheel bearing was the one- go figure. Two mechanics and myself were 100% convinced that the noise was coming from the front. I plan to do a...
  6. I

How best to identify and deal with worn out wheel bearings

Great job! Is the loaded knuckle the Dorman one that Rockauto sells? I might be coming up on needing to do this project and am wondering about the quality of that part. Thanks!
  7. I

Thanks BrooklynBay, I will look into that as I search this site that I'm sure is a wealth of knowledge.
  8. I

I will be doing more research on this site to see what other tests I can do as it relates to the front axle/diff because that seems to be where the noise is emanating from.
  9. I

Yes it is 4WD. So far I've replaced both front hubs with OEM. Right now, I've got the front driveshaft out to replace the u-joint but I can't get it back in properly. The roller ball-bearing that is at the connection of the driveshaft and the transfer case is giving me a hard time. It must...
  10. I

I've replaced the serp belt tensioner but nothing with the timing chain. The noise seems driveline related because it's speed dependent and not engine RPM dependent.
  11. I

Like the title says. Bought her a year ago with 130k and a few issues. Have most of them sorted out except a driveline whirring that starts at 30mph. looking forward to sharing what knowledge I've acquired and look forward to learning some things from you all.
Back