Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Transmission replacement or flush, which is best

I think it got confused . The transmission and valve loss was on my Toyota Tundra at 165k. I said it was a different vechile . After a rebuilt I read that the tundra 07 - 08 usually responded to a full fluid change . I regret not trying before dropping 5k. I never had any transmission issue on...
  2. S

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

I am facing oil consumption . A quart every 5k . Not sure if it’s normal. Hence my thinking .
  3. S

Transmission replacement or flush, which is best

I did my first service at 140k and it was the simple drain via the 11 mm bolt up front , then poured 5.5 quarts or so . i would try it. Then drive a bit and do it again. I was told 3 times is a pretty good . Plus it simple then an oil change. I just did a rebuild on another vechile regret not...
  4. S

2017 Explorer trailer questions

I towed a 2500 lb pop up and then a 3500 lb pop up with mine. Never had any issue . popup ofcourse has less wind resistance . my explorer with the 3.5 naturally aspirated engine still going at 197k.
  5. S

Not sure how long it last but the weep hole is clear and my garage floor too at 10 yrs and 197k . I have never even changed the coolant once. when time comes I am really thinking of just dropping a newer low mileage engine .I have a local company that sells them .
  6. S

Steering 2011 Issue

@Digitalgp Damn you were right on the money. for me 950 for a used rack and 500 for the steering shaft [A different mechanic found the issue too]. !!! The weeping hole is dry, also the car is parked in my garage so if i see any droplets i know its time. I plan to replace this car next year...
  7. S

Steering 2011 Issue

The story get weird. The steering got tight again !! real bad to drive. took it to the guy who tested it and put it together. said everything is fine and he cannot fix it. totally bummed Then luckly found another mechanic who does it on the side on retirement . He said it was the steering shaft.
  8. S

Steering 2011 Issue

Update: I got a few hundred miles on the used unit . Came with 1 yr warranty parts and labor. its tight and not as loose as it used to be prefixing. The water pump weep hole is still clear.
  9. S

2016 Limited, No heat on pass side.

Blend doors. i have changed 3 of them. The 4th one which is very easy access never fails. Its always the hard ones. i have medium hands and got a few nicks doing them . I cut the air filter plastic over to get a wrench to tighten it. the driver side is the hardest.
  10. S

Steering 2011 Issue

I am not really worried about selling, if it runs.It is the only 3rd row SUV i own . It`s split the mileage between my manual jeep wrangler ,a toyota tundra and motorcycles. I also been working from home for 4 yrs now. My wife likes it and right now to replace i need to spend some money. i want...
  11. S

Steering 2011 Issue

that is the plan.
  12. S

Steering 2011 Issue

after seeing the mad of used cars i have decided to do a used unit for 950 installed for now.Even a used explorer with 100k miles is goingfor 20k now here.
  13. S

Steering 2011 Issue

Nope, the water pump is not done i have kept up on everythign other than the water pump. as a matter of fact the coolant is original too. It even pulled a camper for a few years before i got my tundra 6 yrs ago.
  14. S

Steering 2011 Issue

Carmax online said 5k. so let me take it there. i am sure if they even give me 2k i am taking and running at this point. 198k is not bad and it runs like new even now and only ate bearing[rear],brakes and tires in its life.
  15. S

Steering 2011 Issue

My steering has gotten hard and its not part of the recall. My mechanic said it will be close to 2k . it might be the end as the last 6 months i have spend over 2k on keeping this car running with 198k i might need to call it day. unless some one has an option they can suggest. He said the...
  16. S

Jerking under slight acceleration from stop

Sorry about this . Mine does this when i am driving and some to a rolling stop. But i am going 2 to 3 mph and suddenly i hit the gas. then it will bounce. Happens only when colder. I read this and i suddenly remember this not happening for a while. i wonder if this has something to do with...
  17. S

The "Check Engine" light is the bane of my existence

I have seen this over the years, usually battery issue as a matter of fact I have seen it in few years. 10 yrs ownership with nearly 200k miles. Once on my tundra, i read the code. it said 3 abs module and something failed in one incident. what is the probabilty ? so put a new batter.all these...
  18. S

Same boat here , i am 190k but do not drive daily as i work from home for a few years. also have a truck and two motorcycles . Scary i am never changed the coolant on this explorer.
  19. S

A/C Rear Line Leak

I have one of these [from ebay] in my explorer. worked great for a few years and this year a new leak started at the top valve you hook up to. It was interesting as when you check vacuum and set pressure this top-line valve piece was completely enclosed by the connector. so things look great but...
  20. S

that is a alot of money. what is a replacement engine cost to drop in. Might be cheaper.
  21. S

Rear Bearing Again

Yes they are stock factory sized tires, I ran hankook`s for the 1st and 2nd failure then now had krugen and moved over to mastercraft sizing is the same . 20 inc rims .
  22. S

Rear Bearing Again

3rd set of rear bearing are being put on my explorer. so 1000 $ every time. First set at 70k 2nd Set at 130k and now 3rd 190k i have asked the mechanic to check for no leak from the water pump as its original before poping this ...... why does this car eat bearing. still stock ones on my 170k...
  23. S

P0019 2011 Limited

I have 185 and i am having some issues going on all the time. 200-300 a month every 3 to 4 months now. But i have not done the water pump or timing belt. just going to run it as long as it goes now.
  24. S

P0019 2011 Limited

Sorry that issue is costing into the space of diminishing returns now. Had this happen. My toyota tundra blew its transmission and valve body. got it back after a re built of 5k and a tree fell on it and totalled it in 2 weeks. total pia.
  25. S

Water pump failure

Just a question. I can get hold of a local engine with less than 60k installed . i have 187k on mine and plan to do this as it is cheaper obviously. is this a bad idea? .
Back