Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

2010 Limited V8 Front end noise/hum driver side - stumped now after several attempted fixes.

Thank you so much for sharing this and the findings. One day someone will save months of work worry and money reading this thread. It may be me!
  2. T

Solved Lower Steering Shaft Boot Replacement

Chinese Dorman boots crack quickly.
  3. T

2008 Ford Explorer Unknown Noise

Yes, remove the belt and see if the noise stops. That's a good way to narrow down the source of the noise. If it stops, check each pulley for noise, roughness or lateral play. Suspects are, as Mike suggested, the idlers, tensioner, water pump and a/c compressor. Knowing your mileage can...
  4. T

Programming new keys with one original

No, a cloned key cannot be used for programming. You need two differently coded keys. Unless you are conversant with Forscan or other diagnostics, your best bet is to pay a locksmith the $100 to program a second key.
  5. T

Door Lock/Unlock Status Signal?

I know of nothing that keeps track of the door being locked or unlocked, only the momentary input to operate the motors. Maybe someone else can add?
  6. T

2010 Limited V8 Front end noise/hum driver side - stumped now after several attempted fixes.

Should be a simple job at this point. Normally you diagnose this by putting the truck on the rack and running it, listening with a stethoscope. A problem is that sometimes bad bearings don't make noise unless they are loaded on the ground. Please do let us know if this corrects your problem...
  7. T

If it truly is the differential at 145K miles, and the thing has grease in it, you have a very unusual and uncommon problem. Those things are bulletproof.
  8. T

Recently bought 2007 Ford Explorer XLT

Someone added it. Trace the wires.
  9. T

2007 Noise turning left on curb

Check sway bar links, as Eddie says. They always break. Then check lower ball joints and upper arm bushings.
  10. T

Blue light under dash drivers side

Programming lamp for an aftermarket remote start module?
  11. T

Motorcraft TPMS red color.

Installed the new red one and it works fine...
  12. T

Just to follow up on this... Purchased two at a Ford dealer and they too are red. I suppose that's the new color.
  13. T

I guess I can, now that you mention it. But what if it syncs and then does odd things when it begins transmitting after I hump the tire back on the rim and the rim back on the truck? There can certainly be many variables with these things, like rate of change, alarm parameters, etc.
  14. T

Got them through a supposed Ford dealer on Amazon. They are dated nine months old. Back in 2007, the Ford manuals said to replace sensors with ones of the same color, but these have the proper part number and frequency. Would be a beast to break down a tire to install this thing only to find...
  15. T

I ordered a new TPMS for my 2010 Part # 6F2Z-1A189-A (TPMS-3). The one I received in a properly marked Motorcraft bag was RED. They have always been BLUE in the past. Anyone ever install a red one? Ford has been no help in addressing my concern.
  16. T

V-8 4.6L TSP Throttle Position Sensor

I'll post my experience with it. I have read that this can be a pesky code to correct, so you're not alone. I'd rather not join that club.
  17. T

Ford used to have a very detailed "Emissions Controls Manual" that clearly explained the logic and operating parameters required to display each OBD code. I don't know if they still publish this information and what the name of the publication would be. That description would be very helpful...
  18. T

Were these Motorcraft parts that failed or Chinese?
  19. T

On a long trip, my 2010 4.6L Explorer began showing a wrench warning lamp. Codes read with a Ford Enhanced OBD reader showed a problem with the throttle position sensor. The sensor actually consists of two potentiometers, which read inversely of one another. When graphing the output of...
  20. T

Rear Rocker Rust Repair

Replacing both rocker panels would probably cost you $1800 if you found someone to work with you. Doing it or not depends on your financial situation, your future plans for the truck and your maintenance philosophy. You also have to carefully assess other vehicle rust and see how far advanced...
  21. T

4.6 V8 Power Steering Pump Leak

Those photos are great. This is a tough little job on this truck. Sorry to see you having to deal with it. Good luck with the pump. It's hit-or-miss these days with foreign rebuilt parts. The pump's so simple you have to wonder how they screw them up. Your write up will be very helpful...
  22. T

4.6 V8 Power Steering Pump Leak

I wouldn't dream of using anything but Motorcraft here, but I don't like doing that horrendous job twice. Cardone is Mexican rebuilt garbage; AutoZone is Chinese. Good luck with that. That's a tough job on that truck. Thanks for sharing some very useful information on removing that thing...
  23. T

Anyone change wheel bearings on their X?

I usually do both, only because the first one I do is the wrong one.
  24. T

Anyone change wheel bearings on their X?

So much for my silly notions. Thanks for the education!
Back