Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Will explorer tupperware fit on a mountaineer?

I just got a '97 mountaineer for my wife and want to put fender trim on it. It has running boards. There are some pre-drilled holes in the fenders, so I wonder if those holes will accept parts from a '97 explorer.
  2. P

need advice (brake problems)

I would dismantle as suggested earlier, clean and grease calipers, and replace rotors and pads while it is all apart. I replaced my stock warped front rotors with some PowerSlot rotors on my old X. I liked them a lot. However, I would question the need for the extra expense on the rear...
  3. P

Electrical Gremlin...PLEASE HELP guys....

This may sound dumb, but have you checked all of the fuses to make sure none of them are burned out?
  4. P

Daytime Running Lights Gremlin

What I thougt was a GEM issue turned out to be a faulty DRL module. I noticed that the DRL were flickering a while back, then stopped working all together. I didn't care since I don't like them. Then a short in the module roasted some wires in the harness that control electronics to fuse #27...
  5. P

Has anyone put a new GEM in themselves?

I broke down and am taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning. I have an extended service plan the dealer threw in to close the deal when I bought the truck, and of course it doesn't say anything about covering the GEM. I notice that whatever the problem is blowing fuse 27, which is a 15 amp...
  6. P

Has anyone put a new GEM in themselves?

I know it's whats causing my electrical problems, and I would like to put it in on my own. How difficult of a job is this? The part is $167 from Ford, and most people say the job totals between $300-$400. Thanks.
  7. P

Is this the GEM Gremlin???

Last night my headlights would not come on, just the parking lights. The foglights wouldn't work either. The parking brake light would not go off, and the O/D off button refuses to work, along with the rear defroster. Do all of these electrical problems point to a bad GEM? If so, is there a...
  8. P

HP Mods all around/Lift, Ideas and Help!

I recently put on warrior shackles and went with 265/75/15's (31's). I haven't twisted the bars yet, as I tow a trailer for my summer job, and that levels the truck out. I think I will go with AAL soon, when the trailer is loaded with 2 tons of PT 2x6x16 the EX tends to droop a bit in the...
  9. P

Removing dust inside instrument panel

Thanks for the info. Anyone see a problem in just taking the clear plastic cover off and leaving it off so that cleaning in the future will be a snap? Besides, there are all sorts of swirl marks on it already.
  10. P

Removing dust inside instrument panel

Is there an easy way of getting rid of all the dust and dirt that gets in behind the clear bezel in front of the instrument cluster? How much of the dash do I need to take apart? Thanks in advance.
  11. P

Can you paint alloy wheels?

I'm getting some used stock alloy rims to replace my rustly steel wheels, and I want to paint them black. Can I paint alloy wheels, and if so, is there any special process I need to do besides just shake can for 1 minute? Thanks.
  12. P

265/70/15 Tires

Are these the same as 31x10.5x15? I'm looking for some new tires that will give me some lift, and I could get a nice deal on some that are 265/75/15. Any comments?
  13. P

Explorer with FX4 Ranger Alcoas?

Anyone running the Alcoas off a Ranger FX4 on their Explorer? I am thinking of buying them used since I want 31's anyway. Any opinions? Any pics? Thanks
  14. P

Daytime Running Light Disconnect?

My daytime running lights work sometimes, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they flicker like there is a loose wire or something...and it looks terrible when they flicker. Does anyone know an easy way to disconnect the daytime running lights, I never really liked them anyways. Tanks fer...
  15. P

Has anyone put 31's on stock chrome rims?

How does it look? My rims are the stock chrome ones that came on the XLS model, and I don't know if I should buy aluminum wheels and tires, or just new tires. Thanks in advance.
  16. P

Anyone have pics of XLS with 31's?

That looks really nice. Does anyone else have an XLS, one with the full plastic fender flares, and the stock chrome wheels with 31's? Thanks
  17. P

Anyone have pics of XLS with 31's?

I want to put 31's on my 2000 XLS, but it looks like the plastic wheel well molding will get in the way. I have already bought WAR153 and plan on TT also. I just want to see how it looks. Thanks.
  18. P

RPM surge in SOHC

I talked to the service department and was told that the transmission was not completely rebuilt. He said there was an internal leak that required the additional parts listed above. I asked how much was needed in parts for the job and he said around $700. Anyway, they did a good job and I am...
  19. P

RPM surge in SOHC

The truck is running fine now. I didn't talk to anyone when I picked it up, just went to the cashier to pay $50 deductible. I am going to call the service department to see if it was rebuilt. I will let you know.
  20. P

RPM surge in SOHC

I got the truck back today. Here is what the Invoice says: Diagnosed and Replaced Cracked Seperator Plate Gasket per 02-08-02 The Parts List is as follows: PLT ASY - TRAN GASKET ASY - TRA VLV ASY - TRANS SCRN ASY - TRANS MERCON R V AUT There were no prices listed for the parts...
  21. P

RPM surge in SOHC

OK, the O/D light thing started about a week after the 2nd to 3rd surge started. Today, the light started flashing again, and it felt like the truck would not go into 1st gear. Time to take it in and use some of that free extended warrenty I screwed the dealer out of when I bought this beast...
  22. P

RPM surge in SOHC

Two things: 1. The O/D light started flashing today. Is this an indicator that anyone is familiar with? 2. I am running stock tires on my Explorer.
  23. P

RPM surge in SOHC

My '00 SOHC is starting to surge when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. The rpms surge up about 500 then the tranny shifts into 3rd and everything is fine. Anyone know what might be causing this. It only happens from 2nd to 3rd, for now... Thanks
  24. P

Anyone else heard of this?-SOHC fix

New TSB The new TSB for the rattling noise is 02/7/6, at least that is what it says on my copy of the work order. It states: "Diagnose engine noise as internal primary timing chain rattle. Replace primary timing chain tensioner, chain and guides as per ford bulletin #02/7/6. Refill all...
  25. P

Anyone else heard of this?-SOHC fix

It's Fixed I got the truck back a few days ago...it took the dealer 4 days to fix it, mainly because the parts were not in. The "new" fix was released on 04-15-02. I had mine done on 04-17-02. There is a new TSB for the problem, and I will post the number of it when I get home tonight. The...
Back